Freddie

New guy needs help - Kawasaki Bayou 300

13 posts in this topic

My first quad and I have a problem. I have a Kawasaki Bayou 300 1997. When I start it. It will go on high idle for about ten seconds before it goes down to low idle. It does this even when I don't touch the throttle or the choke.

Also, when I give it some throttle and let go. It will come back to fast idle for about ten seconds before it comes down to slow idle. Therefore I have to wait for it to slow up before I can shift. The throttle linkage drops right back to the stop on the carb buy the rpms stay up for a while. If you have any ideas what might be wrong please let me know. thank you Fred

Edited by Freddie
Needed to add more.

•  Like what you are reading? Please help us by sharing this content.

Welcome to QUADCRAZY Freddie!

Sounds like you have a choke issue or carb issue. Has the quad been sitting in the past?

I would pull that carb out and clean it, check the float. I had a Bayou 220 with a choke problem, I believe it was a frozen cable I replaced.

Hi, and thank you for the help. Yes it has been setting. I will take the carb off and clean it. Is there anything that I can add to the gas that might help clean the inside of the carb. Or is it better just to take it off and clean it.

I love this forum. With your help I found the mechanics corner. Being new to quads I will use this fourm often. thank you again. Fred

Welcome Freddie! AJ is right. If your quad has been sitting for a while it probably got gummed up. I think it might be a little late to add gas stabilizer. You may want to drain your tank too, put some fresh stuff in there. What I like to do is turn the gas off and let it continue to run at the end of the day. When the quad dies b/c of no gas, your carb is empty and won't get gummed up.

That is solid advise Bot, especially for someone who does not ride regularly. I think the guys are right, you need to disassemble and inspect and clean the carb. Make sure you COMPLETELY disassemble the carb. There are some carbs that are more complex than others and have several small passages that can become clogged and cause problems. Also make sure the fuel petcock is clear.

I have to agree also, that carb may have issues. Fresh gas also when you are done.

I attached a carb breakdown and some specs for your machine...:wink:

Hi Guys, I just wanted to give you an update. I took the carb. off. I took it to a guy that works on all kinds of engines. He took it all apart and cleaned it. He also found that there is a small rip in the rubber diafram that is in the top of the carb. I ordered the part. It cost 115.00 dollars, ( Good thing I'm rich ) :) It will be about one week before it gets here. thanks again for the help and the diagram of the carb. It helped bunches.

I will let you know how it works when I get it back together. Fred

Right on, Fred. Glad to hear that you are making some ground on. Please keep us updated!

Thanks for the update, keep us posted and let us know when it's back together and running!!!

Hi Guys, I just wanted to give you an update. I took the carb. off. I took it to a guy that works on all kinds of engines. He took it all apart and cleaned it. He also found that there is a small rip in the rubber diafram that is in the top of the carb. I ordered the part. It cost 115.00 dollars, ( Good thing I'm rich ) :) It will be about one week before it gets here. thanks again for the help and the diagram of the carb. It helped bunches.

I will let you know how it works when I get it back together. Fred

Glad it helped! Good luck!

Well, she's back together and running much better. I still don't get instant release from the clutch when I let up on the throttle. I have to wait two or three seconds before it will let me shift.

I am guessing that it does not release instantly like a hand clutch on a motorcycle. ( My raceing days are over anyway) :) But it does go back to idle now and does not race when I start it.

I want to thank everyone who helped me when I needed the help. You guys are great. thank's again Fred

Glad to hear she's runing better!

Glad you got it running better.