Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

what ATV to buy??

I am very new to ATV's and just wanted to get someones opinion that wasnt trying to sell me something.

what are the main brands of ATV's that i should consider?

what should i be looking for in an ATV?

and finally what engine size should i be looking at?

(p.s.- i like to go vary fast in short amounts of time [bigGrin] )

my family and I have just purchased a lakehouse with a 14 mile trail around the lake that is used for ATV's and snomobiles and was just wondering what would be best for me.

THANKS

Seeing that he said he likes to go fast for short burst, I'm going to guess sport.

Look into Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Yamaha are going to be the top 4. There is also Polaris, Artic Cat, and Can Am.

I would look into something like a Honda TRX400EX, Suzuki Z400, Kawasaki KFX 400, or the Artic Cat DVX400. The Z400,Kfx400 and the DVX 400 are exactly the same machine...just different plastics.

The 400cc sport quad is one of the best trail machines around. They are a pretty tame machine and easy to ride. If you wanted to, they can be modded to run as fast as the 450 racers.

Are you looking for new or used?

im defiantly looking for a sport quad and im most likely going to end up buying new so i can get the warranty etc.

and im the type of guy thats a quick learner and will definatly be interested in mods and upgrades down the road... i love to tinker with things

I agree that the 400's are easy to learn on and are fast enough that you won't get bored too fast. I disagree however that 450's don't make as good of a quad for trails. The ones made to be more MX ready aren't the best, ie. the Suzuki LTR 450, the new Yamaha YFZ 450R, or the KTM SX models. The rest however, are great for trail use IMO. I even like my LTR better on trails than any 400, the 400's just don't compare powerwise without modification. Also, don't forget about the Yamaha raptor 700, probably the most versatile sport machine on the market, tons of power and still easy to ride slow. If you like a nice comfortable ride, the Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS is the nicest riding sport quad I have ridden, a bit heavy, but they still haul as*. Go visit the dealerships in your area sit on a few, see what feels most comfortable. You can find good deals on new 07's and 08's because they want to make room for the 09's.

I agree that the 400's are easy to learn on and are fast enough that you won't get bored too fast. I disagree however that 450's don't make as good of a quad for trails. The ones made to be more MX ready aren't the best, ie. the Suzuki LTR 450, the new Yamaha YFZ 450R, or the KTM SX models. The rest however, are great for trail use IMO. I even like my LTR better on trails than any 400, the 400's just don't compare powerwise without modification. Also, don't forget about the Yamaha raptor 700, probably the most versatile sport machine on the market, tons of power and still easy to ride slow. If you like a nice comfortable ride, the Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS is the nicest riding sport quad I have ridden, a bit heavy, but they still haul as*. Go visit the dealerships in your area sit on a few, see what feels most comfortable. You can find good deals on new 07's and 08's because they want to make room for the 09's.

The reason I say the 450s are not great trail quads is due to the amount of shifting and clutch work it takes to get them through the rough stuff. There is nothing on trails that a 450 can do that a 400 can't. The 400 will most likely be able to hold 2nd or 3rd gear through the trails and be fine. The same trail on a 450 you are shifting from 2-3 back to 2. Just takes a lot more rider technique to get the 450s through. The 400s will just lug down and go.

Everyone has given you some great advice. I think you probably need to go and get a feel for some of these quads and see which one feels the best. Anything 400 will work fine especially for the trail. A Raptor 700 is also a great machine. If you are not wanting a totally manual transmission you can look at some other machines also the Wolverine is a good bike for trails and they have an automatic option plus they come in 350 and for 450. Depending on how big of a person you are the 350 is probably fine for everything you would ever want to do. I am around 200lbs and I have a 300 Lakota that I can keep up with most anyone on a trail especially if it is tight and technical.

The reason I say the 450s are not great trail quads is due to the amount of shifting and clutch work it takes to get them through the rough stuff. There is nothing on trails that a 450 can do that a 400 can't. The 400 will most likely be able to hold 2nd or 3rd gear through the trails and be fine. The same trail on a 450 you are shifting from 2-3 back to 2. Just takes a lot more rider technique to get the 450s through. The 400s will just lug down and go.

I get your point completely, that is exactly the reason I mentioned the Raptor, that thing has power every where, you can ride it slow or you can ride it fast. I guess for me the 450 is best because it is the raciest motor you can find in a new quad, and since you can't buy a new two stroke any more, a 450 is the next best thing. I do agree that it takes a bit more skill to ride one though, especially in tight trails. But the 400's just don't do it for me, I needs more POWER.:biglaugh:

• 2 weeks later...
Seeing that he said he likes to go fast for short burst, I'm going to guess sport.

Look into Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Yamaha are going to be the top 4. There is also Polaris, Artic Cat, and Can Am.

I would look into something like a Honda TRX400EX, Suzuki Z400, Kawasaki KFX 400, or the Artic Cat DVX400. The Z400,Kfx400 and the DVX 400 are exactly the same machine...just different plastics.

The 400cc sport quad is one of the best trail machines around. They are a pretty tame machine and easy to ride. If you wanted to, they can be modded to run as fast as the 450 racers.

Are you looking for new or used?

Agreed perfect for the begginer and the trails.

as far as 450's the honda is the way to go there but not the best stock in the way of suspension.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a kfx 400 its a great machine for the trails plenty fast enought .You also feel safe on it not tipyThen again we also have the raptor 700r great on the trails also but you really have some great power for those launches on the straight away.To me it feels taller when you sit on it.The suspension is better on the 700 but I think the kfx turns better Booth great bikes cant go wrog with either one.

im posting a reply to dirty girl kristen, well GNCC racing is mostly trails and they are riding 450s, so are prolly gettin out of the top end

GNCC riders also have the funds available to set their gearing for whatever the track throws at them. They are not even close to running a stock machine. Those are not your typical quads. And not many people have the ability they do.