Quantcast

1986 Suzuki LT230s Not shifting

hey guys need help asap........got an 86 lt230s that i just put a new crank in. i put it all back together and tryed to shift gears and it feels locked up. took it apart to make sure nothing was installed incorrectly and nothin was so put the crank case back together and tryed to shift it and it still wouldnt shift. dont kno what to do or how else to aproach this. even befor i put the case together i manually made sure the trans shifted through all the gears even through revers and it did until i put the case together. any ideas?????

The tranny can be very tempermental if anything is even slightly off. Every little washer and spacer is a different size or width, and they MUST be in the right spot. I don't know how far you disassembled, but you will need to go back over everything you had apart and double and tripple check everythinguntil you find the problem. The first an easiest thing to check is the ratchet mechanism on at the end to the shift shaft. Check that stuff first as it will not require splitting the cases just remove the clutch side case cover, you will probably have to take the clutch out too, something may have just slipped out of position when you were putting it back together. If that is all ok, then you will have to get back inside the crankcase. Make sure the shift forks are in the right spots. Check to see if all the gears are lined up properly, turn them around and make sure they don't catch or stop, they should turn all the way around without interference. I lost track of the washers in my CR 500 motor and had to buy all new ones so I could reference the part #'s and find out where they go using a Honda part fische diagram. That was a real pain. Good luck.

ok didnt realize this but a buddy of mine helped me out with the issue i was having and i guess i had everything correctly installed but in order to shift the crank has to be moving. shifted just fine after but as soon as you stopped moving it itll lock up again....... is this normal that internals have to be moving in order for the tranny to shift????

I would say that is not normal, you should be able to shift at any time. Take the plug out and roll the motor around by hand, you need to make sure that everything rolls smoothly and you don't want to hear any clicking noises like two objects catching edges as they pass each other. If every thing rolls together ok it might just be a worn shift fork or fork shaft, that could cause the bike to not shift unless things are moving.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By ResQ91
      Hi Guys!

New member and could really use your advice. I would have to believe this has been an issue for others but a search here came up with nothing......? (Probably me not doing search correctly)

I have an 87 Big Bear 350 YFM350FWT
      The OEM Mikuni BTM carb is shot and would rather replace than rebuild.
      It is no longer made and I have had good luck with NICHE carbs so I ordered a #K-CRB-0006 This was what they said was replacement when ordered. This Carb only uses 1 Throttle cable. The Slide is linked so it uses one. (OEM had 2nd cable coming through top to move slide)

Problem is when I ordered a replacement Cable from NICHE (#C-CBL-0061) the Cable wire is a little short, not allowing Throttle to return all the way down to Idle position. I called NICHE and they are at a loss. Haven't gotten back to me after 2+ weeks.

What would you recommend other than a carb rebuild?
      Can I just use 1 of the OEM cables (It is the right length) and snip/disconnect the other that went to top of Carb for Slide?
      Or ??

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!!

Dave
    • By Gwbarm
      I have been exploring all the options available, so many, its hard to choose. I have kind of narrowed it down to the Honda Pilot, Subaru Outback, and Kind of looking at the Outlander, although its a little small,  the new one is nice looking. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations or gripes with any of these rides. I have driven Jeeps for the past 25  years and they have been great, but their price point has gotten to high. Expieriences good or bad would be helpful. Thanks!
    • By DrtyGrlKristin
      Just thought I'd start a new thread for newbies to the site!
      If you're new here, tell us who you are, where you're from and what you ride!!!
      Lets get to know each other a little better shall we?
      I'm not new to the site, obviously, but...
      I'm Kristin from Denver!!! I ride a 2008 Yamaha Rhino. She's my muddy baby!!!!!! Several aftermarket parts on her. She's good to me! We try and ride every weekend. This weekend we're off to MOAB! :woot:
    • By HSTAR
      Hey I have a 1997 big bear 350 4x4
      I replaced the shifter shaft and the shift arm linkage and the rod when I installed them all I was unaware that you had to line the dot on the shifter shaft with the gap on the linkage arm gap put it all back  together and rode it I can't get it to shift in the right gears  I can move the shift cam by hand and goes in different gears but with the shifter shaft in it riding I can't put it in R or N 
      Anyone know how to line up the shifter shaft and the shift cam s

• By Suzukiquad
      Hi, I have been around everything with a motor since I was little, and finally purchased more to get my husband, and kids involved. I have 4 quads I will be searching around for information on. I have two 2002 Suzuki LT80K quads, a 1997 Yamaha Timberwolf 250, and a 1996 Kawasaki Bayou 220. I have had different ones throughout the years, and plan on buying another Yamaha Banshee. I plan on trying to learn more about all of them, so I can customize some of them. I know nothing about them besides how to race them, my dad always took care of the rest, but figured it was time for me to learn.