Quantcast

jumping

• 1 month later...

when I started riding, I was doing supercross/motocross primarily. Now I'm doing more harescrambles than anything...but, you really got to know your quad when you're jumping. Guessing through the gears to make it over a jump is not too great----trust me, I've had my fair share of crashes..LOL!

At first try doing little doubles, or even just singling jumps...do tabletops that will help you build your speed up. That way, if you don't clear the tabletop at first, you're not crashing. Avoid step ups unless they're small and you know you can clear them.

My problem was I thought I was on a 450 riding when I was really on a 400...I had Joe Moto in my eyes and thought I was invincible to crashing...turns out I'm normal :)

let me know how it works out! and, post some pics :)

Hi, Im new here to and just started riding alot. My husband just bought me a Honda 400EX. So I have been practicing jumps and wheelies. I actually can do a wheelie better than a jump. Who knows why. But when I go to jump I tense up and it just doesnt go well. So I also could use any pointers you all could give.

Try to stay relaxed, keep your weight centered but a bit more to the back, STAND UP, and keep your throttle the same the whole way through. If you let off, the back end will shoot up in the air, and if you give to much at the top it will bring the nose up. You have to REALLY accelerate of the lip to cause problems that way. Like Wheeler said, start small.

hey guys ok so heres the thing.. i ditched my 250 and got a kfx400 oohhh yeah and my boyfriend and i went riding and i jumped about a foot and it was awesome but it was going up hill haha oh well it was still great heres the new ride

2a9r22o.jpg the green ones mine

2lmqc1h.jpg

se1z4m.jpg locked and loaded

Right on girl! Can't wait to see pics of you jumpin'!!!!!!!!!! :yes:

just please always wear a helmet! :wink:

I was teaching my girlfriends lil bro to jump just yesterday. Remember, never, ever, let off the gas at the last moment. And on some smaller jumps and slower speeds you may need to give at alittle blurp of gas as you go up it,so you do not nose dive. It takes some practice, just dont ever think your the sh** cause thats when youll case. It happens to me alot, lol.

Side note - thats how i transport my atvs too. wish i had a trailer.

• 5 months later...

Have fun flying through the air with your ATV

So, you've seen the other ATV riders do it and you feel that it's about time you try that flying through the air stunt yourself too, but you are not sure how to go about it. You could try asking those who have tried it before to teach you, but then again, they may not have enough time to sit through with you to guide you from A to Z on the skills of jumping your ATV. The theoretical part of learning may sound easy, but you need to practice again and again to perfect your skills.

You may be sitting there and reading this while at the same time wonder how do they make their ATVs fly through the air almost effortlessly? You could be asking yourself a lot of questions and that is a good start to learning. When you have learned how to jump an ATV, it sure adds a whole lot of fun to your riding. However, many people do not understand the mechanics involved between themselves and their ATVs and it is usually the "not knowing" part that frightens people - and it should. When you do not know something, you would usually go all out to learn about it and the first and foremost important thing about jumping your ATV is to learn the very basics on how it's done.

Jumping an ATV is equivalent to learning to walk for the very first time. When you were a child, you didn't just suddenly get up and run without first learning to walk. The same concept goes with jumping your ATV. You have to start out on a smaller scale and not try to outdo yourself by going to a supercross track or something like that.

Here are some helpful tips, that we, at Jackel Motorsports, hope will get you started on learning to jump your ATV and more importantly, to land safely too!

Getting started - safety first!

Before you ride out to experience your first jump, please check and make sure that your ATV is in good working condition. Check the tires, wheels, shocks and suspension and be sure that everything is tight. And remember, no ATV ride (or jump for that matter), is safe without you first putting on your safety gears - that is, your helmet, goggles, gloves, boots, chest protector, long sleeve shirts, pants and any other protective gears that you have.

Since you are only going to start out learning to jump, there is no need for you to jump with a downward-sloped landing. If you do not already know, you should never hit a jump while sitting - your rear shock will compress and fling you off like a catapult, which is not going to be a very fun thing to happen during a jump. Start by selecting a smooth ramp-like take off and keep steady on the gas and start out slow in the attack positions - that way, you are neither standing all the way up or sitting down. Keep your arms bent, elbows out because this will help to absorb the landing as well as the impact of hitting the face of the jump. When your front wheels approach the face of the jump, blipping the throttle will keep the front end of the quad up so that you will be able to make a safe landing. Once you are comfortable and confident with small jumps, you can slowly move on to bigger and more exciting jumps.

The importance of landing well

After your first few jumps, you should be able to gauge your speed to make a perfect landing on the down side of the jump. Once you are more comfortable with your jumping skills, you can start to work on landing on the front wheels first. This has to be done with great care. Should you land with the nose of your machine too far down, you will be in for an ugly experience. One way to do is will be to press down on the rear brake to stop the momentum of the rear wheels, bringing the front wheels down. Another method is to manually push down the bars to bring the front end down. Depending on the jump, speed and position of your ATV, you could also combine both methods during your jump. In the event that the front end is too low and you think that you may just go over the bars, don't give up - hold the throttle wide open to speed up the momentum of the rear tires which will bring up the front end.

As the saying goes - practice makes it perfect, so our last word of advise is to practice and keep practicing until you have mastered the basic techniques. Once you are confident with the small jumps, it is time to 'gear up' and take on the big ones!

2d5a8efb-a3d2-400e-86c9-46eb30123a13f.jpg

f058035d-9e67-4f5c-b877-4ffa6f6f677ff.jpg

64bcc462-2578-4e59-bcdc-dd8007416bf6f.jpg

90cc atv

6057adcc-bd03-4d86-abb9-205c4f490251f.jpg

• 2 years later...

def start small with a little burm or the table top is also good. accelerate off the top in standing position w/ knees and arms bent to absorb the landing. havent had the chance to jump on the new honda, but with the heavy ozark (not really meant for jumping) i would push down on the pegs at the lip to spring off the ground and get more air

• 1 year later...

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af286/yfz450kindagirl/VIDEO0066_0000003767_zpsa1e8289c.jpg

That's a pic of me on a small jump this past weekend.

Now for tips... I'm not sure where you ride and what kind of jumps you wish to do, but I'm a duner myself. So, when finding a jump at the sand dunes I would advise the following...

When you first find a possible jump, go over it slowly in second gear, get hardly any air or even roll over it. This will give you the feel of the lip, if it will launch you out, up high, and/or crooked. Then you work up your speed. When come up to the jump have a steady speed. When you get to the base of the jump, accelerate to a faster speed at which you're comfortable jumping at. If you feel you want more speed as you get closer to the lip, then accelerate a little more. When jumping, have a steady throttle going off the lip. In the air if your nose is diving give it some gas. If your nose is real high (lime a wheelie in the air) then tap the break. This will even you pit in the air. For landing. You want to start giving your quad some gas right before you land and hold it steady through the landing. By giving it gas for the landing it will make it smooth instead of bouncing you around like a rag doll (trust me, the latter is no fun).

Practice makes perfect!! Just take it slow and definitely want to be comfortable with how the lip launches you before you try going big on the jump. Hope this helps!