Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

kvnkrk

Just got new atv - 1986 suzuki LT230s!

Hey guys hows it going? Im new to this site but not to motorcycles however I just bought a sport atv today and need to know how I find out what it is. It has a suzuki motor on it that I know but dont know if frame is or not. How do I find out. This is an older bike I would say but not for sure. Want to get it running but need to get some parts. Thanks for your input. Can post pictures if you want to see and mabey you will know.

Buying an unknown basket case for your first quad? You sure are brave.Post those pics and well see if we can indentify it.

Yes, post some pics, make sure to get some close ups of the engine too, I am sure someone will be able to identify what it is that you have.

Here are some pics I took yesterday I'll get some closeups today. I am going to find the sereial # and call suzuki and find out if the motor even goes to the frame. But from what I looked up on internet last night it looks like an 86 or an 87 suzuki 230 quad sport. Well I tried to post pic and site wouldnt let me.

Pics are in my gallery I found out that this is a 1986 suzuki LT230s. Now I just need to get it running. I think the carb is flooding it out. It hit on me a couple of times after I put new plug in it.

Ok i took the carb apart cleaned every little crevice and hole thouroughly. Adjusted the float down a little. I am getting blue fire from new spark plug but nothing. Pull the plug and its wet. how do I get a wet plug and fire but not even hit a lick?

Don't know what about a valve issue or maybe compression?

Compression is good and i took the head off to check valves and cam sprocket but don't know much about them. Everything seemed tight, thought mabey out of time but how do you set the timing on one of these engines?

I am getting a blue spark but mabey the spark isnt enough mabey a magneto problem?

I just read something about a stator. Don't know what that is. Could that be the culprit?

It lives! Ended up being a dirty magneto that needed some attention. Man I am going to have to do some work to this engine case has a couple stripped out threads and some broken bolt walls. Not to mention it smokes like a freight train.

Well I tried to post pic and site wouldnt let me.

Congrats on the quad. To post an image within a post, use the yellow image button and enter the url of the image. Since you uploaded the pics to your gallery, on the picture page...you will seee codes to link your image. You can just copy and paste the 'Hotlink for Forums"..which will give you:

5377.jpg

5376.jpg

* Added year, make, and model to your thread title.

Thanks Ajm! I am going to start to tear it down tomorrow and replace all wheel bearings, axle bearings, rebuld calipers and paint it. Decided to go with gold frame and blue body with a WV Mountaineers theme. Going to put new main bearings in and new top end bored over about 60. Wish me luck!

Good luck!! I used to have one of those, it was my first sport quad as well. My Dad bought it new in 1986, he he handed it down to me 3 years later when he bought an '89 250 Quadracer. I had alot of fun on that thing, I rode the crap out of that thing for another 3 years and it never gave me any problems.

I got it tore down and primed. Man this bike needs every bearing it has on it. Can't beleive that a arm bearings are 50.00 per arm. Expensive!

yeah thats where there coming from found some for 69.00 that does one side. Suzuki dealer told me 60 per arm. I laughed. Do you know of any other place I might be able to get them cheaper.

Yeah thats what it looks like I am going to do. Ebay is about the cheapest route.

I sure will. Was thinking of making a thread of the rebuild but figured it had already been done before.

aww u got to put it in the project room...everyone would love to check it out..just keep us updated with pics from beginning, to tear down, to end...kinda like my project in that forum if you want to use it as an example

I see you found my new thread cool tried forever to post pics finally figured it out. lol