Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

kvnkrk

Just got new atv - 1986 suzuki LT230s!

Hey guys hows it going? Im new to this site but not to motorcycles however I just bought a sport atv today and need to know how I find out what it is. It has a suzuki motor on it that I know but dont know if frame is or not. How do I find out. This is an older bike I would say but not for sure. Want to get it running but need to get some parts. Thanks for your input. Can post pictures if you want to see and mabey you will know.

Buying an unknown basket case for your first quad? You sure are brave.Post those pics and well see if we can indentify it.

Yes, post some pics, make sure to get some close ups of the engine too, I am sure someone will be able to identify what it is that you have.

Here are some pics I took yesterday I'll get some closeups today. I am going to find the sereial # and call suzuki and find out if the motor even goes to the frame. But from what I looked up on internet last night it looks like an 86 or an 87 suzuki 230 quad sport. Well I tried to post pic and site wouldnt let me.

Pics are in my gallery I found out that this is a 1986 suzuki LT230s. Now I just need to get it running. I think the carb is flooding it out. It hit on me a couple of times after I put new plug in it.

Ok i took the carb apart cleaned every little crevice and hole thouroughly. Adjusted the float down a little. I am getting blue fire from new spark plug but nothing. Pull the plug and its wet. how do I get a wet plug and fire but not even hit a lick?

Don't know what about a valve issue or maybe compression?

Compression is good and i took the head off to check valves and cam sprocket but don't know much about them. Everything seemed tight, thought mabey out of time but how do you set the timing on one of these engines?

I am getting a blue spark but mabey the spark isnt enough mabey a magneto problem?

I just read something about a stator. Don't know what that is. Could that be the culprit?

It lives! Ended up being a dirty magneto that needed some attention. Man I am going to have to do some work to this engine case has a couple stripped out threads and some broken bolt walls. Not to mention it smokes like a freight train.

Well I tried to post pic and site wouldnt let me.

Congrats on the quad. To post an image within a post, use the yellow image button and enter the url of the image. Since you uploaded the pics to your gallery, on the picture page...you will seee codes to link your image. You can just copy and paste the 'Hotlink for Forums"..which will give you:

5377.jpg

5376.jpg

* Added year, make, and model to your thread title.

Thanks Ajm! I am going to start to tear it down tomorrow and replace all wheel bearings, axle bearings, rebuld calipers and paint it. Decided to go with gold frame and blue body with a WV Mountaineers theme. Going to put new main bearings in and new top end bored over about 60. Wish me luck!

Good luck!! I used to have one of those, it was my first sport quad as well. My Dad bought it new in 1986, he he handed it down to me 3 years later when he bought an '89 250 Quadracer. I had alot of fun on that thing, I rode the crap out of that thing for another 3 years and it never gave me any problems.

I got it tore down and primed. Man this bike needs every bearing it has on it. Can't beleive that a arm bearings are 50.00 per arm. Expensive!

yeah thats where there coming from found some for 69.00 that does one side. Suzuki dealer told me 60 per arm. I laughed. Do you know of any other place I might be able to get them cheaper.

Yeah thats what it looks like I am going to do. Ebay is about the cheapest route.

I sure will. Was thinking of making a thread of the rebuild but figured it had already been done before.

aww u got to put it in the project room...everyone would love to check it out..just keep us updated with pics from beginning, to tear down, to end...kinda like my project in that forum if you want to use it as an example

I see you found my new thread cool tried forever to post pics finally figured it out. lol

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Jordan Ritzman
      What causes a rod bearing to overheat and seize 
    • By Jordan Ritzman
      How long between rebuilds 
    • By Jordan Ritzman
      What are some good online vendors for parts
    • By Bud03420
      I just got this bike and not getting any spark I know nothing about it so before I spend any money on it I like to see if it fires dose it have to have a battery to complete a circut and spark cause it dosent have one
    • By AimlessMoto
      Hey guys, new here, but haven't found ANY answer to my specific problem on a Suzuki dedicated ATV forum, so here's to hoping!
      I acquired a 95' Quadrunner 250, 4x4, (LT4WD) for practically nothing with no spark. The PO had tossed in a used stator which didn't fix the problem... so I went all routes (though cheaply) to narrow down the initial problem of no spark. 
      Plug, coil, CDI (caltric) and stator w/pickup (caltric) were purchased and installed. And it RAN, but bogged horribly and would not rev past 1/4 throttle. 
      I checked fuel flow, vacuum lines, all the normal stuff, no issues. I decided to check the valves and cam... well, there was one problem. The cam was 1mm under the lowest spec in the manual. So, in-came a new cam, Stage 1 Hotcams... also threw in a new set of shindy valves, lapped them, replaced the valve seals, and the timing chain. 
      Back together again (w/stock airbox and new oiled filter). Now it idles even better, still boggs at 1/4 throttle, but will rev past it if you hold the throttle open for a second. Ahaha... success!
      So I was able to ride it above 1/4 throttle once I had momentum... could shift through the gears, all was good as long as I kept it over 1/2 throttle. Took a long enough ride to break in the cam properly at least so I won't have to worry about that. 
      Now, I start fiddling with the carb. It's clean as a whistle, stock, with stock jets (new replacement Mikuni jets). Same problem. 

I start thinking, maybe this is fuel related and the bike is having an issue transitioning from idle jet to main jet... so I LOWER the needle by raising the clip 1 spot. Now it revvs up in neutral with no bog, but it boggs about the same trying to ride it. So I move the needle down again with the clip on the top slot. Better, but still has a bit of bog at 1/4 throttle. 
      The last bit of advice I got was to ditch the CV carb... so I sprung for a brand new Mikuni VM30-83 round-slide. Bolted it up, blew into the vacuum tube to fill it with fuel (no vacuum port on this one) and she fired right up... but there is still a bit of bog, it's just masked by the fact that I'm not waiting for the vacuum diaphragm to open. 

So I feel like each little step brings me closer, but not perfect. I'm now wondering if this is still in-fact a carb tuning issue (I have some jets I can fiddle with and maybe lean-out the idle jet a little.) OR if the cheap-a** Caltric Stator/Pickup is what's causing these issues. 

I have a 95' KingQuad with 400 miles on it... like new.. runs like a top... I've tried both the stock QR and the Caltric CDI boxes on it, and it revvs up and runs like a champ. 

The only unknowns between the two systems are the carb, and the stator/pickup. My next step in troubleshooting is to rip apart the King Quad and test it's CDI on the Quadrunner... but considering there is no change to how it runs I doubt it will lead to a solution. 

HOWEVER... I tried the stock CDI just recently after running the Caltric this whole time, and the bike runs like garbage. Hardly idles, and won't rev up at all. So, that is my one smoking gun telling me that it's either the pickup coil or the stator itself. 

Has anyone had a problem even CLOSE to this? I can't image the carb would be causing this many issues, especially going to 2 different ones, both with stock jetting to OEM, and exhibiting the identical symptoms... the only change is when different CDI's are plugged in, or when the needle valve leans out the mixture. 
      Also, I checked the piston, rings and bore when I had it apart and they're like-new... no scoring, rings are loose, cylinder is still round and has honing marks still int he bore. Stock piston, stock bore size and it has 160psi compression. Battery is brand new, and I've tried 3 different R/R's, none of which change any symptoms, but slightly vary the charging voltage by .2-.5 of a volt depending on which unit. Also tried a new coil which changed nothing. 
      ANY help would be appreciated. Too much invested to not get it running right. 
  • Similar Tagged Content

• Guest Fox300exchic
      By Guest Fox300exchic
      Indicators that tell you to check your toe-in.
    • By Anthony Marceau
      Hi everyone! I have a 1986 yamaha moto4 200 that's been sitting for a while! Cleaned the carb, replaced engine oil, put fresh gas in it. Got it running and went for a ride! It was running great just a little backfire once in a while! I barely made it home on the way back and now the bike won't run at all since then! It will start if I give a little bit of throttle but dies instantly as soon as I let go off the throttle! And even if I try to rev it up it'll sound like its not getting enough gas.. it revs up a couple hundred rpm's and backfires through the carb.. it almost sounds as if I was trying to take off from zero in 5th gear! Nothing is seized though! I dissasembled the head and the piston and cylinder are fine! Rebuilt the carb, replaced the ignition source coil.. I don't know what to do anymore.. compression test shows 90 psi Specs are 128 psi but i'm not sure if I trust my compression tester.. any ideas? Thanks!!
    • By Jers
      I need to know what I have and what tire really go on it, Mine has 24x11x10 on the back and 22x8x10 on the front and I need new tire but I don't think are the right size. Also I can't find the model number listed but it looks like a 250 quadrunner 2wd and I think it is a 1987 maybe, can anyone help me, also I it has a rich running sound and I put a carb diap in it and cleaned the carb. is there a jet needing replaced?
    • By chuckcnm
      Hi, just picked up a MOTO 4 YFM255 and want to replace the rear brake pads. How do I get to the back. Guessing I need to remove the brake disk, question any easy way to do this?
      Thanks
    • By sloundez
      Does anyone out there know where I can get a functional pair of wheel cylinders for subject ATV? Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks