Quantcast

1986 Suzuki LT230s no start issue

Ok so I got a great deal on a 230s apperently the motor was rebuilt but the guy didn't know how to put it back together.... Well the top end at least.... So I bought the book for it at the Suzuki dealership..... Now the bike has no airbox and no muffler, open carb and header, here's my problem, It has compression, it has spark, I timed it up twice, each time spinning the motor 360* cause it's a four stroke and I was trying to make sure that it was sparking during compression and not exhaust... Anyway there is fuel on the plug, if I hold the plug to the casing while it's unscrewed it sparks.... But it refuses to catch, the most I get is a backfire out the exhaust... In an act of desperation I towed it with a car while it was in gear to try and get it started.... The headers glowed red hot, but it would die out imeadiatly...... Any replies would be greatly appreciated.... Oh and I also sprayed starting fluid in it to try and make it catch and nothing....

First you need to make sure the piston is top dead center(TDC) on the compression stroke. There should be a small disc on the side that when removed allows you to turn the motor over by using a rachet and socket. There are notch marks on the wheel that you turn and the case. When those are kined up you are at TDC. You can also remove the spark plug and watch the piston go up and down. It must be all the way at the top. Then when you remove your valve cover, your cam(s) should be pointing down so all the valves are closed. that is compression stroke.

On the cam gear there are notches on both sided 180 degrees from each other Those need to be lined up with the top of the case.

Does that make sense?

Hey thanks guy, yea I know how to time it mechanically it just that when I got it the motor was in two pieces, so the crankshaft spins twice as fast as the camshaft since it is a four stroke, what I'm saying is I think it's possible to time it correctly mechanically but still have the ignition off, since when I got it the head was in a box, with a bunch of other parts..... So is there anyway of making sure it's on the compresion stroke when it sparks.....

It uses a wasted spark ignition any time the ignition signal comes from the crank that will be the case. The only way to avoid the wasted spark is to run the ignition off of the cam, that way it knows the difference between the compression and exhuast strokes. Anyhow, I think your problem may be the flywheel key, if it is sheared, it will spark, but not at the right time.

Edited by DirtDemon

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By BruceG
      Hi guys. I have a problem where the quad will start and run well for about 5 minutes and then it dies. On inspection the airbox has oil in it (quite a lot). The oil is pumping through the cylinder head breather hose. This problem first happened suddenly. I have since done the top end including, piston, gaskets, rings and valves. I have also done the carb (not that I thought that this was the problem). The compression seems normal. The only thing that I can think of, is that I did not grind the valves well enough. Anyone experienced this? If so, how did you fix it? Any other thoughts?
    • By McG75
      1996 4x4 Timberwolf rearend width. Can someone with some knowledge of these machines answer this question for me please. Are all 4x4 timberwolves this narrow in the rearend? These tires are so close the right one actually rubs the muffler.  Thinking about seeing if there are any spacers out there for it. I need at least an inch more clearance. 

• By Mhatayas
      What should I do about this , bad oil leak where the filter cover bolts on . Can I use some gasket maker 

• By Uglyside38
      I have a 1988 Quadrunner 250 2wd. My brother in law sold it to my son for $20...had been sitting outside for several years. Got it home and had it running in about 30 mins. Ran it a bit and then went to looking at the carb as it was having trouble idling. Was getting it pretty close, then started losing spark...Also, it wouldn't start up every time...only about 1 in 5 tries. Anyway...now, it has what I can only describe as "intermittent" spark. I can get 1 light spark right when the start button is pressed and sometimes one when it's released...but none while cranking. 🤷‍♂️

I have replaced the spark plug, ignition coil/wire, and traced wires best I can. I noticed a couple frayed wires at the pickup coil where it enters the case. So, now I have the cover off, stator and pickup coil out and trying to test the coil. I do have about 114 ohms resistance for pickup best I can tell. And I can read minute voltage when I drag a magnet across it. Could it still be bad? Can a bad ignition switch/button cause this? (I did have the switch off to oil the choke cable)...pulling rope makes no difference though...any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!!! It's the intermittent part that's throwing me off! 

• By hardcastle
      My friends KQ 300 starts fine and runs, as soon as you put it in gear and try to accelerate its bucks and farts like crazy, not moving... I cleaned carb and it worked good for 1 day... now back to same problem.... could it be such as a bent valve????