Quantcast

1996 Yamaha Warrior 350 will not shift

than , it sounds like that reverse linkage has gotten bent , so it"s not going far enough to let that little fork inside the trans. move. if you disconnect that linkage close to the trans. to see if that part that goes into the trans can be moved a little farther . keep me posted mike

With the engine off and the machine in gear, will it roll at all? Is there any noise when you put it in gear and let out the clutch with the engine running? When it is in reverse, you say in moves but slowly, does it seem like the clutch is slipping? A slipping clutch is what I first thought. It could be the clutch push rod haning up, the engagement lever could be bent or damaged.

With the engine is off I have to hold the clutch in to move it. It will go in reverse perfect, moves fast in reverse. it just moves like it is stuck in idle when it is in gear. I can put the rpms up and it still just goes like I am in an idle. I took the clutch case off. every thing looks fine. Changed the oil. It started doing this after I got stuck in the mudd. I am going to try to adjust the reverse rod to see if some thing happened with that. I do not know what else it could be.

with engine runing did you try all the gears or just first ? try it in second ant third to see what you get.

if it still does it in the higher gears, it sounds like you may have sheared a little key that lets that reverse gear slide back and forth between foreward and reverse. what your feeling when you have to pull the clutch in to push it [engine not running] is, it must still in reverse, that slider gear is not moving, even though you think is , when that key gets sheared off ,it leaves a bur ,or lets say it is just bent or deformed in some way, you may still be able to move the linkage but the gear is stuck. i think i would still look for an easier solution, but may try to move that little gear from the outside some how , before get into a complete teardown. good luck , let me hear from you................mike,pontiacjim

with engine runing did you try all the gears or just first ? try it in second ant third to see what you get.

if it still does it in the higher gears, it sounds like you may have sheared a little key that lets that reverse gear slide back and forth between foreward and reverse. what your feeling when you have to pull the clutch in to push it [engine not running] is, it must still in reverse, that slider gear is not moving, even though you think is , when that key gets sheared off ,it leaves a bur ,or lets say it is just bent or deformed in some way, you may still be able to move the linkage but the gear is stuck. i think i would still look for an easier solution, but may try to move that little gear from the outside some how , before get into a complete teardown. good luck , let me hear from you................mike,pontiacjim

Good advice.

• 3 weeks later...

:biggrin: Ok, I am not sure if this is the problem. I took my clutch out and went to the atv shop and told them what was going on. After looking at the plates one of them had no grit stuff on them. While taking them out I broke one of the threaded things on the main preasure plate, nice $41.31 spent for that. Then I ended up breaking one of the fins off the primary Drive gear, $93.16 wasted on that. but I did only spend $127.70 on the rest of the clutch kit. Boy I hope this does the trick.

I would like to thank everyone that has posted with help. I am putting it in the shop for new valves and I am also going to have a new piston and rings put in it. After that is all done and the frame gets powder coated this thing is going to go up for sale with my Jeep. Thanks again for all the advice:wink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

Hi Any thoughts on this issue with my 1996 350cc 4x4 Big Bear would be very much appreciated. The bike is stuck in reverse gear. No ammount of persuasion will free it. Its currently sat in the garage where I am hoping once its cooled down it may come free. I cannot get it back into neutral and really unsure where to begin looking to rectify.

Any thoughts guys?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By mbirt
      Hey all,
      Just picked up two dead mid-90's Kawasaki Bayou 220s for $250. Already have one running on starting fluid and it sounds healthier than expected. Moving onto a thorough carb cleaning and refurb of the brakes next. These are our first ATVs and we're excited to make family memories on simple, approachable machines on our newly acquired land.
      In case anyone reads this, is it worth rushing to 10 posts here to get the Bayou 220 FSM if I already have a Bayou 250 FSM?

Thanks, 
      Matt

• By Gunny
      Hope you enjoy the video ....

• By alexwv1863
      Hey everyone, I have an issue with my dad's 03 Yamaha Kodiak 400. It had been running great but he left it sitting for a short amount of time. When he started it, it ran fine for a little bit but all of a sudden it quit taking gas. I thought it may have been the carb because it him not running it. The carb ended up being pretty clean. He put it back on and after taking it off and cleaning again, I'm beginning to wonder what it could be. It'll start and idle just fine, but when you go to give it throttle, it'll die out. It sounds like it's not getting air right but idk where to look or what else it could be. I'm stumped and need to figure this out before I go crazy. Anyone have any ideas???
    • By Jd101506
      Hi all!  
      I've got a 1988 LT4WD that I am working on.  It sat for almost two decades in a shed, so I replaced both the carb and the fuel pump (Pump was rusty, carb was ok, but had a pin hole in the bowl itself?).  Now, I went el cheapo and I replaced BOTH with Chinese aftermarket Carb and Fuel pump.  Now is where it gets confusing:
      So I did this SAME thing on my other Quad, a 1988 LT300E.  They take the same PN carb, and a similar fuel pump, (One has a 90 degree bend in the vacuum port).  I've been battling the four wheeler a bit with some electrical issues, but I noticed that at idle it runs GREAT when I gravity feed fuel from a burp can into the fuel bowl of the carb... But as soon as I put it on the fuel pump from the tank, it idles EXTREMELY low and smokes a little.  To me, this indicated that the carb itself was running rich.  I adjusted it a little on the LT300e, but I could never seem to get it right, it still will slowly die at idle when warm, but ironically if I CHOKE the motor, it'll start up and run.  I dont know if this is because the RPM increases?  But the quad will run around the yard great at RPM and then die at idle.  
      Now, the LT4WD.  I ended up with a faulty fuel pump for my second (I think the spring isn't seated inside as I can hear one rattling around) so when I installed it it WOULD NOT pump fuel.  So I ended up swapping the LT300 pump onto the LT4WD.  Boom, pumps fuel.  I put it all back together and got my tires on.  I ran it around my yard and it exhibits the SAME symptoms as the LT300e!  It will run around at RPM, but it will not stay running at idle, it drops realllllly low RPM and will start smoking a little as if its running rich.  Again, when I ran it with the fuel pump OFF I didn't have this issue. 
      In my head I'm thinking it would be a mixture screw OR float issue... But the mixture screw doesn't seem to help me on either, and the bowls are not over flowing (I checked both overflow lines).  Is there something I'm missing here thats obvious?  Is there a vacuum line or something I missed? Maybe some configuration or something I missed? I reviewed the manual and nothing stood out to me.  
      Conclusion:  Two different Suzuki fourwheelers, two different carbs (Both are chinese Ebay carbs) that BOTH run well when I mainline fuel from a drip can INTO the bowls, BOTH do not keep idle and seem to run extremely rich as they run great at RPM but slowly die at idle.  Adjustment screws, idle screws be damned.  
      I ended up ordering a new Suzuki OEM fuel pump for ~90$ just to have it and see if it makes a difference.  Any advice here though would be SUPER appreciated!  
    • By El_Guapo
      Howdy- looking to pick the collective brain on all things Chinese ATV! rewiring a major basket case project Kazuma Falcon 250! any help with wiring diagrams is appreciated ! cheers!