Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV or UTV? Join our Forum!

Join QUADCRAZY ATV Forum today for FREE! We keep these forums clean and user friendly. All first posters will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first post is approved, you will no longer need to got through an approval process. To gain immediate approval and a NO ADS experience, consider subsribing to our Premium Membership.

2000 Suzuki 160 Oil Recomendation

bruce

Dream Car Giveaway

Any manufacturer or dealer will tell you that whatever oil the manufacturer makes is "specially formulated for use in your machine". However, any oil that meets the manufacturers rating standards is going to work fine. I prefer sythetic blends because they provide better protection thatn straight petroleum based oils, but aren't as expensive and I have heard that full synthetics are not as good for wet clutch machines. Just my 2 cents.

After posting that, I started to think, how could a petroleum based or blended oil possibly have any advantages over a full synthetic, besides being less expensive. I have heard or read many times, that it was better not to use a full synthetic in wet clutch applications because of an increased risk of clutch slippage. I even had a parts person at a dealer tell me that, and as you knoe, they are more likely to push the most expensive stuff they can. After thinking real hard and doing some reading, I have come to the conclusion that those people are wrong. A synthetic oil is no more slippery than petroleum based oils, so it isn't that. Automotive oils or oils designed for a dry clutch, have friction modifiers, that will cause slipping in a wet clutch. I think that the whole myth was started by people who used synthetic oils that were not rated for use with a wet clutch. I think that any oil rated for use in a wet clutch system will work fine for a machine like an LT-160 Quadrunner, however, I think that a full synthetic will be better in any circumstance, especially in high performance applications. No matter what oil you use, however, the most important thing is to keep it clean.

Edited by DirtDemon