Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV or UTV? Join our Forum!

Join QUADCRAZY ATV Forum today for FREE! We keep these forums clean and user friendly. All first posters will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first post is approved, you will no longer need to got through an approval process. To gain immediate approval and a NO ADS experience, consider subsribing to our Premium Membership.

need help decidin to get a 400 or 450

I've rode a honda 250ex for about 3 years, and am now ready to upgrade, but cant decide if i want a 400 or 450 - i want a 400 because it has reverse, but want the 450 because from what i've been told 450's in general are just built better, like better suspension, wont tip over in turns as much cuz they are wider and not as tall (correct me if im wrong - this is all stuff i've been told) and other stuff. i dont drag race, so im not to concerned about speed, i just like to ride in the woods, climbin hills, and jumpin. Another reason im leanin toward a 450 is because i want to have a recluse clutch and i dont think they make recluse clutches for 400's nemore. i would really appreciate ne opinions on what i should choose, thanks :)

i think you should see if maybe u could find someone that owns what u are looking for and see if they would let u take it for a spin to see if that model is right for you,the reverse is nice,but so is the suspension,or get the bike with reverse and upgrade the suspension....it looks like u are kind or pron to hondas,but i also think that a raptor may be more along the lines of what u are looking for...good luck with ur choice

definitely try to do what mike said and try to test ride what you want. But choosing between a 400 or a 450 is a tough choice. One thing to consider is most of the 450s are now fuel injected except for the honda. This way if you change in elevation you don't have to mess with the carb just hop on and ride. The kawie 450 does have reverse and is known as a good trail/woods quad and I am not saying that just cause I own one. But if you decide to put the big 3 (pipe, intake, and fuel controller) on it you most likely need to take it to a dyno to get it mapped to make it run at its full potential instead of just changing a jet in the carb. The Honda 400ex is still consider one of the best trail sport quads and even with the new body style on the honda the engine and tranny on those have not changed through out the years, and you can find an abundant of aftermarket parts for them.

I think the Kawi 450 would be a good choice, it is a good trail machine, and it has reverse like you want. Don't be afraid of the FI too much, it isn't a pain in the butt unless something goes wrong with it. I think Bot is just jealous because he still has to re-jet.:wink: My LT-R's FI system has been running trouble free for over 3 years now, however, if something were to go wrong with it, it can be difficult to figure out, and more expensive to fix than a carb. One machine that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet is the LTZ 400, it is a little bit more modern and better performing than the 400EX IMO, more powerful motor, better suspension. It is a good machine too. The KFX 400 and Artic cat DVX 400 are clones of the LTZ and also would be worth looking at. I think one of the most important things to consider when you buy a new machine is how comfortable you are on it. BTW, did how is the arm doing?, I assume you have that cast off by now.

Edited by DirtDemon

I found a great deal on a kfx 450, goin to look at it 2mrw Thanks everyone

The only thing that I would say to be aware of with the kawie 450 is the stock ecu is junk and unless stored in neutral the battery will drain and have starting issues. You'll just be sitting there cranking a while. Save up the $300 and get a ProCom ecu that way you'll solve the starting and battery issue. Plus if you decide to add a pipe or intake later all you do is turn the dial on it and away you go no need for the dyno.

I got it everything looks pretty good for it cant wait to take it out for a real ride! i cant figure out how to get a picture of it on here so if you wanta c it check out my profile page il add it on there :)

If you have a Photobucket or other similar type of photo sharing account, you can paste the img. code into your post and the picture will appear. I hope you like the new ride, let us know how the maiden voyage goes.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By CharlieKraynack
      What are the recommended tire pressures for hard and light terrain use of my 2008 Artic Cat 400 auto 4X4. also plowing snow on a paved driveway???

• By Lkylife
      i sunk my kodiak in lake it ran fine awhile now cranks wont start dont think its geting spark. Replaced ignition coil and plug still wont start even sprayed carb cleaner in back carb still doesnt fire

• By quadcrazy
      Out on the trail, visibility is everything. When you’re riding, you need to be able to see every potential obstacle well in advance, and sometimes, that includes things behind or beside your vehicle. On your own private property, sideview and rearview mirrors are a clear value-add, helping you avoid some of the entirely preventable accidents that can pop up when you’re driving in Reverse. On public trails, those mirrors are an absolute necessity, drastically helping mitigate the risk of vehicle-to-vehicle collisions and prevent bodily injuries.

That’s why Kemimoto, a market leader in the design and manufacture of ATV and UTV accessories, has devoted so much focus to UTV mirrors over the past decade, in addition to accessories like saddlebags, seat bags, whip lights, and more. When the company was founded back in 2011, there weren’t any readily available, affordable off-road mirrors for Side-by-Sides on the market that were much good for anything other than showing riders the rears of their own vehicles. So, the company’s founders took up the challenge, setting out to create their own side mirrors to provide fellow ORV enthusiasts with a better view of their blind spots.

Mirrors have been Kemimoto’s hottest-selling products ever since.

Today, Kemimoto has a staggeringly impressive collection of sideview and rearview mirrors for UTVs, ATVs, and bikes on offer, with nearly a hundred unique mirror packages on sale through the official Kemimoto website. Kemimoto makes mirrors to suit any need and any budget. Many of them are best-sellers in their respective categories, and for very good reason: as a direct-to-consumer brand, products are marketed, sold, and delivered to customers directly by Kemimoto. That extra efficiency allows the company to price its ATV and UTV accessories more effectively, and sell high-quality mirrors and other products while keeping prices extremely affordable.
      Equally important, Kemimoto’s ORV mirrors are just plain good. Design, development, and engineering all take place in-house, and the company even holds a few patents for some of its innovations. They have their own laboratory for product testing, to ensure that every mirror that wears the Kemimoto name is tough enough to go the distance. The mirrors are designed for beginners and professionals alike, with ridiculously simple install procedures that typically require a hand tool or two and just a few minutes of your time to set up. They are made to suit the overall aesthetics and performance requirements of the vehicles they are designed for.

As an example, let’s take a look at a pair of Kemimoto’s lighted side mirrors designed for Sport Side-by-Sides. As the name implies, Kemimoto has built two levels of lighting into each of the side mirrors. You can fire up one or both of the lights in each mirror. And with an angle of illumination of 195 degrees, you can see exactly where you are going.
      Additionally, these mirrors boast shatterproof tempered glass, which helps protect the driver and passengers in case of an impact. They also feature a breakaway design, so they will fold up if you get a little too close to a tree or any other obstacle rather than snap right off. When it comes to construction, Kemimoto made the shell out of a high-quality ABS, while and the frame and bracket are built out of aluminum.
      Of course, Kemimoto is more than just mirrors. The brand also produces and sells its own saddlebags for motorcycles, seat bags for ATVs, backpacks, roll cage cargo organizers, and other storage accessories. They also manufacture high-quality whip lights and mounts, UTV cupholders, dome lights, windshields, vehicle covers, and even some riding gear. But high-quality, fairly priced ORV mirrors will always be the company’s specialty.

View full post
    • By Fhai Catz-eteh
      I have been on K&N's website, but cannot seem to find a cross reference for my 2009 Outlander 400 XT EFI air filter. The OEM BRP filter number is 707800264. They (K&N) lists many that look like the original that I am replacing, but it would be awesome if someone has a K&N model number they have installed that has the right fit and function. Any info would be greatly appreciated -Cheers!
    • Dream Car Giveaway
    • By Gwbarm
      I have a 2007 Suzuki Eiger with camouflage finish. Over the years the finish has faded to a blue green color, its not as annoying as some that I have seen that faded to purple, but I still don't like it much. Im sure this has happened to others on the forum. Just curious what you guys do to fix this. I was thinking of mixing up some clear with a hint of yellow in it to neutralize the blue green but will have to do some testing to get it right. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  • Similar Tagged Content

• Gallery Images