Quantcast

need help decidin to get a 400 or 450

I've rode a honda 250ex for about 3 years, and am now ready to upgrade, but cant decide if i want a 400 or 450 - i want a 400 because it has reverse, but want the 450 because from what i've been told 450's in general are just built better, like better suspension, wont tip over in turns as much cuz they are wider and not as tall (correct me if im wrong - this is all stuff i've been told) and other stuff. i dont drag race, so im not to concerned about speed, i just like to ride in the woods, climbin hills, and jumpin. Another reason im leanin toward a 450 is because i want to have a recluse clutch and i dont think they make recluse clutches for 400's nemore. i would really appreciate ne opinions on what i should choose, thanks :)

i think you should see if maybe u could find someone that owns what u are looking for and see if they would let u take it for a spin to see if that model is right for you,the reverse is nice,but so is the suspension,or get the bike with reverse and upgrade the suspension....it looks like u are kind or pron to hondas,but i also think that a raptor may be more along the lines of what u are looking for...good luck with ur choice

definitely try to do what mike said and try to test ride what you want. But choosing between a 400 or a 450 is a tough choice. One thing to consider is most of the 450s are now fuel injected except for the honda. This way if you change in elevation you don't have to mess with the carb just hop on and ride. The kawie 450 does have reverse and is known as a good trail/woods quad and I am not saying that just cause I own one. But if you decide to put the big 3 (pipe, intake, and fuel controller) on it you most likely need to take it to a dyno to get it mapped to make it run at its full potential instead of just changing a jet in the carb. The Honda 400ex is still consider one of the best trail sport quads and even with the new body style on the honda the engine and tranny on those have not changed through out the years, and you can find an abundant of aftermarket parts for them.

I think the Kawi 450 would be a good choice, it is a good trail machine, and it has reverse like you want. Don't be afraid of the FI too much, it isn't a pain in the butt unless something goes wrong with it. I think Bot is just jealous because he still has to re-jet.:wink: My LT-R's FI system has been running trouble free for over 3 years now, however, if something were to go wrong with it, it can be difficult to figure out, and more expensive to fix than a carb. One machine that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet is the LTZ 400, it is a little bit more modern and better performing than the 400EX IMO, more powerful motor, better suspension. It is a good machine too. The KFX 400 and Artic cat DVX 400 are clones of the LTZ and also would be worth looking at. I think one of the most important things to consider when you buy a new machine is how comfortable you are on it. BTW, did how is the arm doing?, I assume you have that cast off by now.

Edited by DirtDemon

I found a great deal on a kfx 450, goin to look at it 2mrw Thanks everyone

The only thing that I would say to be aware of with the kawie 450 is the stock ecu is junk and unless stored in neutral the battery will drain and have starting issues. You'll just be sitting there cranking a while. Save up the $300 and get a ProCom ecu that way you'll solve the starting and battery issue. Plus if you decide to add a pipe or intake later all you do is turn the dial on it and away you go no need for the dyno.

I got it everything looks pretty good for it cant wait to take it out for a real ride! i cant figure out how to get a picture of it on here so if you wanta c it check out my profile page il add it on there :)

If you have a Photobucket or other similar type of photo sharing account, you can paste the img. code into your post and the picture will appear. I hope you like the new ride, let us know how the maiden voyage goes.