Quantcast

03 Honda 400ex axle

What rear axle should I use on my atv. The carrier right now is stock. I have a lonestar racing complete carrier not installed yet. Im going to upgrade to 22" tires plus the new sprocket combo will probably lead to more stress than the axle could handle. I dont think it will break but it bend. I already straightened it once. Metal doesnt like to bend in two directions that is a fact. I dont want to go wider than stock and everyone says every brand sucks. So far i will eliminate durablue as they seem to get the worst reviews. Any input?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

Edited by marioweldinginc

the axles on your atv are crowned, which means they are arched upward in the middle, when stressed with weight, the axle will become straight or even sag, but will return to the crown position. building a home from dimensional lumber, your floor joists are set in place 'crown up', as to take the weight and not dip or sag with furnishings and settlement.

Are you familiar with the electron sea analogy in metal? In most metals the outermost electrons, or valence electrons, are relatively free from their atom's nucleus. This is known as delocalization. (This is also why most metals are so conductive, the electrons are very free and able to transfer the energy readily from one electron to the next.) But it also allows the metal to bend because the electrons buffer the metal atoms from experiencing repulsive forces from the other atoms as they slide past and causing the material to shatter.

brought to you by OXY-PEDIA :laugh:

the axles on your atv are crowned, which means they are arched upward in the middle, when stressed with weight, the axle will become straight or even sag, but will return to the crown position. building a home from dimensional lumber, your floor joists are set in place 'crown up', as to take the weight and not dip or sag with furnishings and settlement.

Are you familiar with the electron sea analogy in metal? In most metals the outermost electrons, or valence electrons, are relatively free from their atom's nucleus. This is known as delocalization. (This is also why most metals are so conductive, the electrons are very free and able to transfer the energy readily from one electron to the next.) But it also allows the metal to bend because the electrons buffer the metal atoms from experiencing repulsive forces from the other atoms as they slide past and causing the material to shatter.

brought to you by OXY-PEDIA :laugh:

Ok you gave me a science lesson. Yes just like when we rebuild truck bodies we send out the frames to be acrched so when there is a load on it it lays flat. When the trucks comes to my shop overloaded we dont just straighten the frame and send it on its way. We have to reinforce that area because now its a weaker area. My point was i bent my rear axle beyond its ability to go back to its original shape. I had to use a press to straighten it again. That area no matter how small is now a stressed area. That plus the larger tire with its ability to bite down harder can,might cause the axle to bend again. If im being overly cautious so be it.

WHY in the world would taller tires put more stress on the axle? I run a RPM Dominator on my bike and it's only AWESOME!!! How do you know metal bends both ways?

Same way putting taller tires on a Jeep adds stress to the axle/suspension. Add trail riding and the stress on the components rise even further. Would it break maybe, maybe not but just because someone says its not going to happen doesnt mean it wont. Im not a gambling man... or boy..... whatever Oxy is gunna call me this time :D