Quantcast

New Ride 2000 Arctic Cat 500

hello. i just got a 2000 artic cat 500 4x4. I've got tons of questions. the prior owner was unsure. it wont run. i removed the tank strainer and carb. both are gummud up solid:) I'm working on that now. I'll let you know. It was really easy to remove both:).

- How can i tell what year the machine is for sure?

- should it have a dip stick on the oil filler cap, or do I fill the oil to the top of the fill hole?

- where is a good place to get online parts?

- what year did these bikes go to independent rear suspension?

thanks for letting me join the forum.

dale

Edited by dnifong

crap. the stick is broken off. I hope its not in the motor? I'll fish around with a magnet. I'll get a new one. I need more parts as well:) I started the camo paint job today.

The older models might have a sight glass! I think oxidized_black posted a link to part of a repair manual for the 2001. I would see if he has the entire thing and start there.

Update. I got it running. needle valve and seat was stuck. would now allow fuel to bowl. Now. it runs but backfires like hell. also, pipe glows red. Is that normal? also fan runs all the time, is that normal.

I took it for a ride to a mud hole that I take my 400 kawasaki all the time. the cat stuck up the frame instantly:) and dug in. I had to run back to the house, "bout half mile" to get the wife to go with me to pull me out. she was really happy:) we talked really nicely to each other, including my plan to buy this new one and restore it in this economy. She was really impressed. we havent spoken yet. Ive got to get it running good soon, cheaply, or else.

funny, I took the d@mn winch switch off to clean it, before i went on the ride. I told her that I had to buy this machine because it had a winch, and i would never get stuck again.

Edited by dnifong

I had to run back to the house, "bout half mile" to get the wife to go with me to pull me out. she was really happy :) we talked really nicely to each other, including my plan to buy this new one and restore it in this economy. She was really impressed. we havent spoken yet. Ive got to get it running good soon, cheaply, or else.

been there, done that... get'r'did or else :laugh:

the carb is prob still dirty, not sure about the pipe unless it's blocked with mud maybe, and the fan shouldn't stay on all the time ...

Edited by oxidized_black

Ok, I will. I went the artic cat dealer today. talked with the tech. he said that a lean condition will cause the pipe to burn red, and cause the backfire. he wants me to remove the carb again, make sure the passages are clean, and move the needle on the slide up one notch. I'll try that soon and let you know. BTW. was told that there is not a carb kit for this bike. must buy the parts seperate:frown:ly.

find some twist ties for the garbage bags and peel the plastic off and use those to clean the passages as best you can. the AC dealers might not be able to supply a carb kit, but a quick look on e-bay i saw some there ....

Carb Jet Kit ARTIC CAT AC500 Std 99-00 Stage 1 NEW #372 | eBay

you can always email these guys to make sure this is the part you need ....

ok, i took the carb off again and cleaned it. it made somewhat of a difference. pipe slightly glows red at about 2 grand. It idles better, but still backfires, especially when the motor is reved up, and is coming back down or on the decell. I wonder if the exhaust pipe is clogged? or once again, if anyone knows if valve adjustment can cause a backfire.

btw, there was not an adjustment on the main needle in the carb.

Please do not run the bike lean for a long period of time, the will kill you when it blows up. You are better off to run rich then lean.

Removing the air box will provide more air and lean it out even more.

Check for any part of the intake leaking air in. If everything checks out OK then you need to rejet. Where did you buy the bike from and what temp is it there? Altitude is also another factor. Did the previous owner modify the air intake in any way? Maybe he did not rejet after that. I would also check if there is a inline fuel filter and change that if there is.

I have been crazy busy with the nice weather here, I think we should post back and forth on this thread but drop me a pm if you need a response in a hurry.

Swampcat, I took your advise. I soaked the intake with wd-40 while the bike was running. no help.

ran bike without air filter. no help.

it runs a little better after a thorough carb cleaning. but still backfiring. "through the intake at idle" and out the exhaust while declerating. pipe is slightly red under power. Ironicly, when under power, I put a little choke on and that does not help, but obviously gets richer and will bog down.

so, I took the tank off and totally cleaned. new gas. intalled new shut off valve with new strainers. new fuel hose also.

still feels like exhaust pipe is clogged. dont know how to check. the bike was bought here in ga. dont know bout the jetting but they have been tinkered with. I will remove the carb again to find out jet size.

what about ignition timing? is it easy to check?

thanks again, dale

Edited by dnifong

I would not mess with the timing or anything else until you rule out the carb.

I would do a few plug chops and see if you are running lean.

Did you try running without the exhaust on the bike? The spark arrestor could be clogged. Can you feel exhaust coming out of the muffler.

From my experience the backfiring sounds like the carb is not getting enough fuel. I will take a look at the parts diagram and see if there are any vacuum lines. May be too early of a model year to have those.

Lets hear some background on the bike. Like who you bought it from what condition it is in and what elevation you are at. I will try and help you to narrow down the problem.

Ok, did not get the pipe off yet. everything is stuck and is saoking. what is a plug chop?

I bought the bike from my friend. he bought it for his son who grew up and moved on. it was used for trail riding and pulling a dirt plow. it sat for 2 years, and i bought it not running. I cleaned the fuel tank, carb, plug, and changed oil before starting. bike started right up, runs fairly strong, but not as strong as my 2000, 400 kawaski??? I thought it would be stronger. my friend said that he had the top end?? rebuilt after a run hot event. but that was a few years ago. bike shows 1100 miles on the odo. has not been snorkeled. im in dublin ga. elevation 277.

there is one part of the carb i'm not sure of. the vent hose that hooks to the upper plastic port. I can not blow into it, but it will vent out. does it have a check valve to let air in the bowl? thanks again, dale

A plug chop is where you check the color of the plug at different positions of the throttle. I would Google this and read up on the basics. The most important is to kill the motor with the kill switch and not just decelerate. The three positions are pilot jet 0- 1/4 throttle needle 1/4 to 1/2 throttle and main jet 1/2+ throttle.

It sounds like there are no major changes in elevation and you have a great idea of the background with your friend owning it. As soon as you get fuel/air sorted out it will run a lot stronger. To me it doesn't make sense to change the jetting if there were no mods completed.

As for the vent hose it shouldn't allow air into the bowl. You should be able to run these carbs under water with no problem the only air into the carb comes from the intake. Because it was sitting so long I would remove all the vent hoses (on both sides) and blow some compressed air thru them, maybe they are blocked with a bugs nest or debris.

• 4 weeks later...