Quantcast

Newbie wanting to get a Quad

Derailed

hello I am new I have never owned a quad, but I want to now if I can get the wife to Ok a purchase or two I want to get my kids to ride also. I am trying to fine out riders experience, and knowledge help me out. I am looking for a used 4x4 quad 400cc or bigger. Just trying to get a good Idea of which manufacturer has the best most reliable quad. I am sure everyone has their preference. I would like to hear recommendations, and things to look out for or avoid. thanks

its all in what your looking for. every quad manufacture can make a good quad. its tough buying a used one because you don t know if it was taken care of or not. i m a yamaha guy and i think if you want a 400 a big bear would work well for you. honda makes good 400 4x4 s too.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to QUADCRAZY! I agree with GREENIE, it's important to make sure the quad has been taken care of. I have a 660 Yamaha Grizzly, I had a 700 Suzuki King Quad, had a 450 Yamaha Kodiak, and a 220 Kawasaki Bayou.

All good quads. No major issues. If you stick with a major manufacturer and take care of the quad, it will last forever. If you modify and beat on it, it will need more TLC and part replacements...:wink:

Welcome to Quad Crazy!

If you want something reliable then stick with Yamaha or Honda. Not always the best for every situation but you turn the key they start right up and off you go. Very Dependable. Kawi used to be another good manufacturer but I have noticed that their V Twins need a lot of TLC and don't mix well with water.

Thanks for the info I have really been looking for a Yamaha, Can-am, Suzuki or Honda. People seem to like these brands the more than the rest. I am curious about motor size. I use to think that I was a big guy but I am only 6'2" and around 200 lbs. How much motor should I be looking for? I was thinking nothing less than a 400. it that too small or good enough for a good power to weight ratio? Thanks.

it a depends on what kind of riding your doing. if your just going for slow leisurely rides and a little work around the house then a 400 will do just fine. but if you want to ride a faster and need some power you definitely want something bigger. 660 or 700 grizzlys are really good and a buddy of mine has a 700 honda rincon thats pretty good.

I am a newbee also, and just curious, I just bought a handa rancher ES, but I will ways seen people compair the Honda Utility ATVs, like the Rancher, Tecon, Rincon or Rubicon against the Yamaha Grizzly with pretty much everyone in agreement that the grizzly are faster non-utilitarian type ATVs, I am just wondering why doesnt anyone ever compair the Grizzly to the honda sport models like the TRX 700XX or TRX450. I am just curious

So when you all buy a used quad, how do you decide on whether the price is fair or not? I have been hunting on Craigslist and then checking KBB and NADA to see those sites say for the price. both sites vary greatly in price on some 4 wheelers, others are fairly close. what do you use how do you decide how much to offer? 2008 Yamaha grizzly 700 EFI with EPS - $6550(private seller) does this sound like a fair price? how about 2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 PS - $7997 (dealer)?