Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

javydiaz

Homemade 4 wheeler problem! Clutch problem or Engine?

I have this 4 wheeler that I am building and i have encountered a problem.

The 4 wheeler will not move!

I am a beginner to all of this.

The clutch over inside is rotating but the chain is not moving; I already replaced the clutch it is brand new.

The clutch overheats and it starts to shoot out smoke.

Is this a clutch problem? Am I using the wrong type of clutch?

The clutch is a Max-Torque 3/4 in. bore and 10 teeth.

Or is the Engine too small? Is the 4 wheeler to heavy?

Im using a Briggs and Stratton 3 hp 127 cc 3600 rpm

Here are some pictures of the clutch and the engine.

4 wheeler clutch and engine pictures by javydiaz - Photobucket

That seems like a cool project. I would have to take a close look at the details to comment on the clutching.

There is really nothing to see in detail. The clutch does not lock on to the chain to make the wheels move. The inside of the clutch is rotating and its not moving the chain.

There is really nothing to see in detail. The clutch does not lock on to the chain to make the wheels move. The inside of the clutch is rotating and its not moving the chain.

So do you even have a sprocket on the clutch side?

Doe's it roll freely if you push it around? Jack the back wheels off the ground & make sure the rear axle spins freely.....If it does start it up & tru throttleing it up. It almost sounds like the enge & clutch combo might just be too heavy. If you bush it by hand....is it easy to move, or does it take quite a bit of effort?

Doe's it roll freely if you push it around? Jack the back wheels off the ground & make sure the rear axle spins freely.....If it does start it up & tru throttleing it up. It almost sounds like the enge & clutch combo might just be too heavy. If you bush it by hand....is it easy to move, or does it take quite a bit of effort?

I can roll it around freely. I even put it on a stand with the wheel on the side where the clutch is off and the other wheel rotates. So that said the wheels only turn "weight Free".

This is a simular setup to the go-cart that I had when I was a kid. I seem to rememeber that the clutch was turned witth the sproket out. Yours has the sproket turned in. You may need to check that the clutch is rotating the correct direction. It may work either direction, but I do not know it that is true. This may also mean you will need to move the motor to the side.

After doing a little research, it looks like it doesn't matter which way the clutch is configured (in or out). Does this clutch have the adjustable setup with springs and such? You may need to make sure your RPM and torque range is in check with the clutch setup.

Call Max-Torque if you have any questions at (630) 369-9600!!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• Kodiak 400 4x4 wiring problem

Hello All,
      I am looking for any help or suggestion that I might be able to get on how to wire a '04 Kodiak 400 4x4 motor into a Coleman Outfitters / Hisun 400 4x4 Utv. This machine had the Kodiak motor installed and was running until someone stripped the wiring to install new harness. They destroyed the old harness so it of little use now. We have a new harness for the Utv and part of the wiring to the Kodiak CDI and Voltage regulator/rectifier is in place. For now I am just trying to find a good diagram of the wiring needed to Power up the motor. Any help with this part of our issue would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to help my son this machine running since he bought into this nightmare.
      Thank you,

By res2fr, in General ATV Discussion

• 0 replies
    • Honda 2013 420 reverse problem

My 2013 Honda 420 occasionally won't go into reverse. I don't think it is in the transmission as it does not make a click or noise. I think it is in the lockout. Someone told me when I ride near the ocean the salt can get on something. Any ideas?

By Keith Proudman, in Honda ATV Forum

• 5 replies
    • Bike/brand of choice?

So one thing I enjoy about Quadcrazy is the amount of diversity when it comes to the bike/brand of choice.   We all hear about so many different brands/types that we need help or helping out with!  Myself ive had just about every brand bike except for a Suzuki which I’m currently seeking as my next project😜. I currently have 5 quads and they are all different in brand except for two Honda’s one of which is a newer bike fuel injected. I have to say so far through all the bikes I’ve worked on my brand of choice would be Honda! I think they make a great product!  I love the older carburetor bikes!  Now I’m sure some of the other members feel differently and I would like to hear your bike of choice and why?  Wether it be the repairs, handling, look, safety, simplicity, electronics etc!!!!!!! One of the reasons I bring this up is I have friend that recently purchased a can am new!  I asked him why a can am after all the years of Polaris?  He said it’s a nice looking bike and wanted to try something new. He has rode the bike three or four times and hated it!  So a trip back to the dealer he traded it in for a Polaris and he’s very happy now.  A costly mistake since he lost money on the can am but back to his Polaris that he said he will never stray again.  Let’s hear it ! 

By Frank Angerano, in General ATV Discussion

• 17 replies
    • 2017 Polaris Sportsman 570 EPS CVT Clutch

Hi Anyone else with a 2017 sportsman with EPS, experiencing hard lock up with the CVT clutches. As compared to my friends 2006 Polaris 500 HO they seem to be a lot smoother engagement. Any ideas or is this normal for this model.   

By Steven E, in Polaris ATV Forum

• 3 replies
    • 2001 warrior runs great in reverse but dies letting out clutch in 1st

Hope someone can help. It runs perfectly in reverse..but dies while letting out the clutch in first. i can take off a little in first and second but it'll die out. It has excellent power in reverse though? it's a 2000 warrior 350. it's impossible to shift into neutral while it's running. 

By buddybeans, in Yamaha ATV Forum

• 2 replies
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Steve Howard
      My Hawkeye runs great just wont pull could this be the breaking clutch or the drive clutch thanks for any help
    • By David Vance
      I just bought a 86 Bayou 300 and when it’s running and you shift into a gear the engine stalls and dies. I throttle it up little and it will run and move but the transmission slips really bad. As long as I’m just a little over idle it will move but slips with any more throttle. I’ve been reading that this is probably a centrifical clutch issue. I’ve found an aftermarket clutch for an 88 model but can’t find one for a 86. Are these the same? 
      Any help would be appreciated. 
    • By Pete Barber
      Pull in clutch lever shift into gear and nothing happens ... But When I pull in the clutch lever I hear a clicking sound ... never heard this before ...
    • By Bubba Blaster
      Hi there, new owner to a Bayou 220 and could use some input from those who have owned these. At idle only, I am hearing a distinctly noticeable amount of chatter noise coming from the lower right side of the engine - right in the the clutch housing area. It's like a light clanking sound like something is loose in there. It goes away as soon as you give it throttle. Shifting in and out of gear is smooth and there is no change in the noise if you have it in or out of gear. The clutch doesn't slip at all, it's just that noise. I can also feel it when my hand is on the the clutch housing.
      I just replaced the oil and filter with 10w30 motor oil per spec. Any thoughts?
    • By Reece K.
      I just recently bought a 1994 Yamaha Timberwolf 4x4 from a buddy who had the wheeler sitting in his garage for 7 years. I got it home and fired it up pushed it out of the garage and tried to shift it and it wouldn't shift. First it would click like it was shifting, but the wheeler wouldn't move and when I hit the gas it revved up like I was in nuetral. After trying some more it became stuck in 1st gear and wouldnt shift at all. But it later broke loose agian and acts like it is in neutral again. I took the motor off the machine to make it easier to work on.After asking friends they were convinced it was a clutch problem but after opening up the casing for the clutch I don't see anything out of the ordinary and am concerned that it may be a transmission problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.