javydiaz

Homemade 4 wheeler problem! Clutch problem or Engine?

I have this 4 wheeler that I am building and i have encountered a problem.

The 4 wheeler will not move!

I am a beginner to all of this.

The clutch over inside is rotating but the chain is not moving; I already replaced the clutch it is brand new.

The clutch overheats and it starts to shoot out smoke.

Is this a clutch problem? Am I using the wrong type of clutch?

The clutch is a Max-Torque 3/4 in. bore and 10 teeth.

Or is the Engine too small? Is the 4 wheeler to heavy?

Im using a Briggs and Stratton 3 hp 127 cc 3600 rpm

Here are some pictures of the clutch and the engine.

4 wheeler clutch and engine pictures by javydiaz - Photobucket

•  Like what you are reading? Please help us by sharing this content.

That seems like a cool project. I would have to take a close look at the details to comment on the clutching.

That seems like a cool project. I would have to take a close look at the details to comment on the clutching.

There is really nothing to see in detail. The clutch does not lock on to the chain to make the wheels move. The inside of the clutch is rotating and its not moving the chain.

There is really nothing to see in detail. The clutch does not lock on to the chain to make the wheels move. The inside of the clutch is rotating and its not moving the chain.

So do you even have a sprocket on the clutch side?

Doe's it roll freely if you push it around? Jack the back wheels off the ground & make sure the rear axle spins freely.....If it does start it up & tru throttleing it up. It almost sounds like the enge & clutch combo might just be too heavy. If you bush it by hand....is it easy to move, or does it take quite a bit of effort?

Doe's it roll freely if you push it around? Jack the back wheels off the ground & make sure the rear axle spins freely.....If it does start it up & tru throttleing it up. It almost sounds like the enge & clutch combo might just be too heavy. If you bush it by hand....is it easy to move, or does it take quite a bit of effort?

I can roll it around freely. I even put it on a stand with the wheel on the side where the clutch is off and the other wheel rotates. So that said the wheels only turn "weight Free".

This is a simular setup to the go-cart that I had when I was a kid. I seem to rememeber that the clutch was turned witth the sproket out. Yours has the sproket turned in. You may need to check that the clutch is rotating the correct direction. It may work either direction, but I do not know it that is true. This may also mean you will need to move the motor to the side.

After doing a little research, it looks like it doesn't matter which way the clutch is configured (in or out). Does this clutch have the adjustable setup with springs and such? You may need to make sure your RPM and torque range is in check with the clutch setup.

Call Max-Torque if you have any questions at (630) 369-9600!!!