Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

uncleal

1984 Honda Big Red ATC - Starter Issues

I bought this big red 2years ago and have done nothing but put gas in it and use it everyday. Yesterday I was using it, stopped to do something, and it wouldn't start, and I ran the battery dead. After charging the battery the starter wouldn't run. I checked the fuse and it was ok, and the battery was at 12.85v. Any ideas? Thanks.

sounds like you might have killed the starter by overcranking it. Have you tried jumping the starter? Checked the starter solenoid? I know that is a different issue with it not running. I'd check for good spark and fuel after you get the starter figured out.

I know it's been awhile but I got Big Red running by changing out the solenoid. I took a lot of things off that I didn't need to but there were a lot of things, bolts mostly, that the po had broke so I took them out and replaced them. Today BR isn't running very good so I'm going to take the carb off and clean it. Thanks for the help.

I know it's been awhile but I got Big Red running by changing out the solenoid. I took a lot of things off that I didn't need to but there were a lot of things, bolts mostly, that the po had broke so I took them out and replaced them. Today BR isn't running very good so I'm going to take the carb off and clean it. Thanks for the help.

Is it goin ok still?:wink:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By thegipper
      Have replaced, Carb, fuel pump, CDI, plug, coil,fuel filter. Will crank but not srt. Getting spark and battery is fully charged 12.6V
      Any suggestions????

Thanks
    • By John Dunn III
      Just bought a LT 230 anything I should watch for. It runs and drive good. Just don't want no surprises 
    • By Cj Winds
      I have a 2000 Polaris Xplorer with the 250 two stroke motor
      It does not want to start with the electric start, the motor cranks fast, the battery is good, and there is good spark when cranking. The engine starts perfect when using the pull cord, it even starts if I pull the cord slowly and starts with one pull. The engine idles smoothly once started. My wife says she needs the electric start to work.

• By Laval
      My son’s 17 Alterra 500 just quit today. It was running fine the started stalling and bogging at half throttle. It finally stalled and will not start. The bike was won in a raffle last year. It had sat for a year before he won it. Has ridden it very little since.  It has 180 km on it. We checked  the plug spark seems strong  disconnected the fuel line at the pump and the fuel pump is working well.  Disconnected the injector and it is spraying fuel.  Air filter is clean and there are no mouse nests in the air intake.  Al fuses checked and good. Ideas?

• By Chris Abshire
      Changed fuel pump, has spark and good compression. Tried a gravity feed trick and still couldnt get it to fire off. But it does try to crank when i spray starter fluid. With pump connected and fuel hose off, it should still pump fuel, correct ? But its not. And i cant find anything online about this bike. Has less than 200 hrs, so barely gets ridden (wifes). New fuel in tank. Any suggestions would help. Thanx....
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Wonderwoman
      Hello, well back to where I was last year with this carb. Took my 250 to the mountains for the first time this year and blue smoke, too much gas again. I can't believe that this carb gives me this much trouble. Seems like the choke is stuck but the cable moves freely. Anyone else ever experience this issue? Do you think a new choke cable would maybe resolve this?http://www.quadcrazy.com/atvforum/images/smilies/arghh.gif
      OK it was the choke. Put on all new cable and plunger and she is running 100% again. So now the question is, is the carb getting worn out where the plunger needle goes in the small hole and when I use the choke the needle end doesn't get lined back up with the hole?? We'll see how it runs and now that I know what the issue is I can always pull the choke plunger out and reinstall if I start having this issue again.