Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

tuke

Quadmaster 500 backfiring after jet kit. Any advice?

Hi. I recently had to replace the diaphragm on my QM 500, so I decided to add a sigma 6 jet kit. I basically replaces the main jet with a 135 (was 130) and moved the clip on the needle down one space (as per their directions) towards the RICH direction. Now that I have it reinstalled it starts great, idles great but if you try and give it any throttle it sputters, pops and looses all power. With the choke on it will accept throttle.

This implies to me that I am running LEAN, which seems strange as I moved the needle towards rich and put a bigger jet in?

I have checked the rubber connections on either side of the carb, the carb has been out and it is CLEAN.

So any thoughts other then just "clean the carb".

Thanks

Chris

Try raising the needle another notch. If no joy, then try lowering it a notch from your initial setting.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

Slide moves well now. . That's what i had to replace. . The old diaphragm became brittle and had a tear. But before that it ran great. Keep in mind I did add the jet kit... It's really cold here so I haven't had a chance to try moving the clip up the needle.

If moving the clip the other way doesnt help, then I would undo the jet mod you did.

BTW, who did you buy it from? Perhaps they have pointers.

Just thought i might be able to gain a little power with a kit and air filter. .. lesson learned. . I'm hoping Sigma 6 will take their kit back.. Didn't even come close to working no matter what the configuration. ..

Keep us posted on how it works out for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Darryl Traina
      This bike has a straight axle that is moving horizontally in the housing in both directions about 2 inches. Has anyone had the same issue if so what did it take to repair it?
      Thanks..
      Darryl
    • By davidwestfall
      looking for direct shift shifting lever that properly fits my 2003 Yamaha warrior 350 and fits my foot the same as a stock 2003 Yamaha warrior 350 shifting lever fits my foot
    • By ATVNetwork
      how to Learn how to remove and replace your Can-Am Renegade / Outlander ATV's CVT belt. View the full article
    • By Admin
      Today we moved this website from http:// to https:// urls. this may not mean much for some, but as the web moves to a more secure environment, it's important for us to make sure that your information and content is in a secure environment here in this community.
      This means that the url structure has changed but this change should not affect much on your end. You may get a new browser notification asking you to accept our site notifications, which you can accept, but that should be it. We ave also put in place url redirects from our old urls to new. If you have any issues, please post in this topic or use the contact form at the bottom of the page. 
    • By Bwdeaton
      I recently picked up a king quad 700 that doesn't run in the hopes of getting it running by spring. It had been previously taken apart some and a few pieces are missing in the engine, but the frame is complete and in good condition. The motor will need a piston, rings, cylinder, cams, and a few misc parts that are missing. Also the cases will need to be split to remove the pieces of piston that are in the crankcase. The piston blew up at high rpm and did a number on the cylinder so I'm trying to find out if it would be worth rebuilding this motor it buying another engine to swap in. There may be more damage to this engine that I can see so I was wondering how bad the insides of it could be considering it destroyed the piston. I have found a motor for 1200 plus 200 shipping, the only problem is I don't have that much now and I would have to save up a while before being able to afford it. Any suggestions appreciated.
    • By cheatmaster300
      I am working on a 500 that seems to have me stumped. The quad will start but will only run if I keep pumping the throttle. It smells like it is getting way to much fuel and the plug is always wet when I take it out. I took the carb apart and cleaned it really good twice. Still the same problem. So I swapped the carb with another working quad. That quad runs fine with the carb but the problem quad still runs the same. I swapped the coil this did not solve the problem either. I also checked the timing with a timing light and it seems to be good. I am not sure what I am missing. Any ideas?
  • Similar Tagged Content