KILLER_K

1999 Artic Cat 500 4x4 Will Not Run

6 posts in this topic

I have a 1999 arctic cat 500 4x4. We was riding and the radiator fan fuse popped and burnt the wires. So i pulled it back home and replaced the fuse and fixed the wires on it. Now it will not start but the spark plug fires. So i thought perhaps a wire got burnt in half. So i went through all the wires and all of them checked out good. Still couldn't get it to crank. So i hooked a rope up to it and pulled it and put it in gear and it fired up. But soon as you stopped pulling it the 4-wheeler would shut off again. So i tried to see if you could test the CDI and voltage regulator but i couldn't find any info on that. Anyone have any info on what they think it could be or how to check those two boxes? As i am running out of options here and still can not get it to crank and run.

Did you check all the other fuses?

* Added issue into your thread title.

Yes all the fuses are fine. And went through the whole wiring harness to check to see if any wires might have gotten burnt in half, etc.

Check the flywheel key, if it sheared off, there will be spark, but it won't come at the right time. Next, I would pop one of the inpection caps off the vavle cover and make sure your vavles are moving when you turn the motor over, it would also be a good idea to check your valve lash while you have the covers off, if the valves are too tight, it could cause hard starting. I would also try putting in a fresh plug. Also, inspect the coil wire, unscrew the boot from the wire itself and look at the wires inside the insulation, and check along the length of the wire for cracks or worn spots in the insulation. Make sure there is plenty of good wire at the end for the screw in the boot to make contact with. Most shops will tell you that the best way to test a CDI is to replace it with a known good unit. The best thing you can do IMO, is get a repair manul, it should have several tests for many of the electrical components, including your rectifier. It will also have vavle clearance specs and bolt/nut torquing info, all stuff you need to have if you are working on your own machine.

I will try that and see what happens then. I was thinking perhaps maybe jumped timing or something along that line. Thanks

If it jumped time, the possible causes are; a sheared flywheel key, like I already mentioned, the camshaft allignment pin, (this is why I recommended looking to see if the vavles are moving), or the chain itself just jumped. If the chain jumped it is either because it stretched, or the tensioner is not keeping adequate tension on the chain. Good luck.