Quantcast

Big Bear 350 been sitting for 10 years - I can't get it into neutral

Txbigbear

Helping my Father-in-Law get his 1987 (I think) Big Bear 350 running so he can sell it. I can't get it into neutral (or don't know how) so I can pressure wash it before starting repairs. See photo. Clutch is hard to operate. I clicked down on the shift pedal to what I think is 1st then pulled up one click, but it's still in gear. The brake drum is stuck and the electrical system needs tracing out.

How can I get it in neutral or just get the wheels rolling?

Big Bear 350.jpg

Don't force into gear or neutral. Buy a couple cans of PB blaster nd start spraying everything that moves. Something is seized-up you have to trace it down. The trans will probably shift into neutral by rocking the bolt on engine sprocket or is it a shaft drive? Spray the sparkplug and let sit awhile, then remove ( carefully ) and spray in motor liberally. Spray every nut and bolt. Keep us posted. 

I  believe the   Big Bear  clutch  is centrifugal. The   levers  on the  hand grips  both  operate the  brakes  if I  am  not  mistaken.  Try  rocking the  quad  back and forth while  pressing  down  on the  shift lever to  see if it  will  shift  down  and into  neutral.  Most foot operated   gear  shifts  have  neutral  as the   first position  and  to  get  reverse, you press a button  or  pull  a   button /  lever to  press the  gear  shift  into  reverse,  below neutral.

I  found a  pdf    for the  350  Big Bear...  neutral  is   at the  bottom, reverse  is below that  after  you   activate the  reverse knob.

This  manual  shows for the  1999  model ,  but it  should be the same  trans and shift pattern  for the  '87

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/service/manuals/1999/Lit-11626-12-49_325.pdf

Thanks all for the advice and the manual. I got some PB blaster and will spray liberally. My 1st step is to get it to my garage from my Father-in-Law's - 60 miles. It will be tricky getting it on a trailer since brake drums are frozen and if I can't get it into neutral. Once in the garage, I can work on in an enclosed area.

Will do. I'm in process of getting the ATV to my garage where I can work on it during the winter. Brakes are locked up and can't get tranny into neutral. This Sunday, I've got some guys that will help me get it onto a trailer for transport. In the meantime, I've got the VIN as JY43HNAC3KC002732 which decodes as a 1989 model. From this, I'll order a manual and get to troubleshooting the brake and neutral problem.

I need advice - how can I turn the engine over to make sure its not seized up? I got the quad (VIN says it a 1989) to my garage and pressure washed it. I bought a HF 8" puller and finally got the stuck brake drum off. What did the trick was I unbolted the brake cylinders from the rear. This allowed the shoes to somewhat collapse on the inside and release the drum. I'm hoping I don't need new cylinders - $120 each - yikes. Now I'm struggling with getting a rear brake rotor off the splined axle. I've got it soaking in PB Blaster and I'm applying as much pull as I dare with the puller. Every now and then I bang on it to get the blaster in deeper. I plan to heat it up but all I've got is a propane torch. I did find this interesting research that you guys may already know about. It rates the various penetrants on how much torque was required to break a rusted bolt free.

ITEM                    Force in ft/lbs
No Penetrant.......... 516 pounds
WD-40................... 238 pounds
PB Blaster .............. 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ....... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil .............. 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix*.... 53 pounds

I've ordered an owner's manual but it hasn't gotten here yet. I cant find a clutch anywhere on the machine. It must not have one.

3 hours ago, Txbigbear said:

Now I'm struggling with getting a rear brake rotor off the splined axle. I've got it soaking in PB Blaster and I'm applying as much pull as I dare with the puller. Every now and then I bang on it to get the blaster in deeper. I plan to heat it up but all I've got is a propane torch.

Be  careful with your  heating of the  brake rotor.. The  heat you can get  with your propane torch far exceeds what   would take the temper  out of both the rotor and the  axle.  You  shouldn't heat them  up  much over 200 degrees F.  Heat  the  hub  of the rotor evenly all around (or as far around as you  can) and  use the   spit test to  gauge the temperature.  Stop  heating  when  spit  on a finger starts to  sizzle when  you  briefly  touch it.  You  could  use a  temperature  probe  for  a  VOM  meter  if you  have  one  or there  are special "tempil sticks"  you  can  buy  to indicate  when  a desired   temperature is reached,  but  they  are relatively  expensive, not easily  bought.  Neither  the  use of a  probe  or the tempil sticks are really   necessary  for what you want.

It also  should go  without saying to  be careful with the open  flame  when you  have been  using solvents to  try to  free up   parts.  Have  a  fire extinguisher  handy.

I've ordered an owner's manual but it hasn't gotten here yet. I cant find a clutch anywhere on the machine. It must not have one.

• 1 year later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Mikey69
      Heres my story. Kinda long. I guess I was a late bloomer when it comes to quads. I had never ridden a quad in my life. Rode Dirt Bikes as a kid growing up. Back in Oct of '06 I found a Mustang on craigslist. Took it for a test drive one morning before work. Fast car. 351 Cleveland. I had planned on meeting the guy again after work. For some strange reason thats still to this day beyond me, I stopped in Hillsboro MotoSports on the way home from work. I had 6 Grand on me. There was a left over '05 sitting by the front door. It was on sale for $4999. It was $5499 OTD. I didnt even look at anything else. I knew nothing about quads accept I thought it really looked coool and I had the money in my pocket to buy it. I was sitting on it when the salesman walked up and asked... "Can I help you?" Without hestitation I pulled 60 Ben Franklins outta my front pocket and said "I want this Quad. Load it up in my truck." It was just about dark by the time I drove away from the shop. BTW, I didnt bother to ask my ol lady if I could buy it. LOL. Anyway, I took it by the house and showed her. She was kinda stunned but not mad. We drove over to a friend of mines house and unloaded it. I took it to the field across the street from his house. HOLY CHIT!!!!! I was surprised by the power. I had it for about 2 weeks and took it to Sand Lake. I was there a few hours and rolled it on a banked turn at the top of the bowl right before you get to the one-ways. When it rolled, I flew off and landed on my belly. The quad came bouncing and landed on my back. For a month I couldnt even walk. I was scared of it. I considered trading it for a 250EX. Went back to the shop. The salesman said..."Dude!!! You dont want a 250EX!!! Trust me. Just get used to it" I still wasnt convinced. I put it on craigslist for $4000. Calls were coming in. I had a guy that wanted to come look at it that evening. I decided to take it for one last ride at Browns Camp before I sold it. I was still afraid of it. After about 5 minutes I started feeling comfortable on it again. I decided right then, I loved my Honda 450 and would learn how to ride it instead of selling it. That was late Nov of '06. Work was slow for a Painter in Oregon. My new job everyday? Going to Browns Camp and ridding my Quad. I bought my Girl Friend an '02 Blaster. I rode my 450 for 4-6 hours almost every single day for 3 months. And yes, I know my way around Browns Camp pretty well. LOL. In March I bought her an '06 TRX250EX (Thank God I didnt trade my 450 for one of those) LOL Since then, I have become totally addicted to quads. I love them. Couldnt imagine not owning at least one quad. Luckily I have two. My "07 was $6500 OTD in July of '07. Bought it for my Girlfriend. Traded in her 250 EX. A month later we broke up. So, I wound up with two Honda 450's.

• By HSTAR
      Hey I have a 1997 big bear 350 4x4
      I replaced the shifter shaft and the shift arm linkage and the rod when I installed them all I was unaware that you had to line the dot on the shifter shaft with the gap on the linkage arm gap put it all back  together and rode it I can't get it to shift in the right gears  I can move the shift cam by hand and goes in different gears but with the shifter shaft in it riding I can't put it in R or N 
      Anyone know how to line up the shifter shaft and the shift cam s

• By BruceG
      Hi guys. I have a problem where the quad will start and run well for about 5 minutes and then it dies. On inspection the airbox has oil in it (quite a lot). The oil is pumping through the cylinder head breather hose. This problem first happened suddenly. I have since done the top end including, piston, gaskets, rings and valves. I have also done the carb (not that I thought that this was the problem). The compression seems normal. The only thing that I can think of, is that I did not grind the valves well enough. Anyone experienced this? If so, how did you fix it? Any other thoughts?
    • By John Sinclair
      I WANTED TO UPGRADE THE CARBURATOR ON MY 1992 BIG BEAR 350, SO I ORDERED A NEW CARB FROM EBAY.  ACCORDING TO THE WRITE-UP IT WAS A GOOD FIT FOR BIG BEARS FROM 1988 TO 1996.  WHEN I REMOVED MY ORIGINAL CARB I NOTICED THAT IT WAS DIFFERENT FROM THE NEW CARB MY CARB HAD TWO THROTTLE  CABLES THE NEW CARB ONLY HAD ONE CABLE.  HOW CAN I MAKE THIS CARB WORK ON MY TWO CABLE THROTTLE?  
    • By ResQ91
      Hi Guys!

New member and could really use your advice. I would have to believe this has been an issue for others but a search here came up with nothing......? (Probably me not doing search correctly)

I have an 87 Big Bear 350 YFM350FWT
      The OEM Mikuni BTM carb is shot and would rather replace than rebuild.
      It is no longer made and I have had good luck with NICHE carbs so I ordered a #K-CRB-0006 This was what they said was replacement when ordered. This Carb only uses 1 Throttle cable. The Slide is linked so it uses one. (OEM had 2nd cable coming through top to move slide)

Problem is when I ordered a replacement Cable from NICHE (#C-CBL-0061) the Cable wire is a little short, not allowing Throttle to return all the way down to Idle position. I called NICHE and they are at a loss. Haven't gotten back to me after 2+ weeks.

What would you recommend other than a carb rebuild?
      Can I just use 1 of the OEM cables (It is the right length) and snip/disconnect the other that went to top of Carb for Slide?
      Or ??

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!!

Dave