Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Jmpmstr91b

05 king quad won’t start after stator replacement

Hey guys.... I’m new to this atv mechanicing and replaced the stator and oil pump chain in my 05 king quad 700 and now the damn thing won’t start... all the timing marks appear to be right on... put a new woodruff key in when I pulled the old rotor (flywheel) off.... I don’t get why it won’t start.... any suggestions? Got plenty of fuel and good spark too

Did you mean timing chain ? (Oil pump chain) ?Is it possbsle that you are 180 deg out on the timing if so ?  Fuel and spark = a running engine. Timing could be the problem. Any backfire at all?  I would retrace my steps if I were you. And keep in mind that if you set the timing wrong the valves and piston can hit causing a considerable amount of damage to the engine. Like a bent valve and a dented/cracked piston etc.  

On 2/11/2018 at 6:21 PM, Jmpmstr91b said:

Hey guys.... I’m new to this atv mechanicing and replaced the stator and oil pump chain in my 05 king quad 700 and now the damn thing won’t start... all the timing marks appear to be right on... put a new woodruff key in when I pulled the old rotor (flywheel) off.... I don’t get why it won’t start.... any suggestions? Got plenty of fuel and good spark too

That's definitely a new word, but I love it! Sounds like timing maybe. That's fuel injected I believe.

Update.... I troubleshoot it down to the CKP sensor/ stator coil.... so I ordered a new one and hopefully that fixes the issue... fingers crossed

Very nice job!  So I’m assuming that the spark was firing at the wrong time? I’m surprised you didn’t at least get a backfire but either way great job keep us posted!

What did you do to narrow it down ? Did you ohms test it ?  

It passed the ohms test had 191.... but when cranking I didn’t get any voltage (weird since when I started this I had fuel and spark) so the manual say replace it... which in turn comes with the stator. If I remember correctly it should have had 3-5 volts while cranking off the blue or white wire like I said I don’t exactly remember and this thing has been pissing me off for a few days now.... haha 

It can and will “piss you off” if you look at a lot of my posts I always say take your time and a step back and breathe!!!  Hopefully you nailed it brother. Keep us posted. Im always interested with this kind of thing and the next guy will use the info. 

Update!!!! New CPK and stator did the trick! Fired right up tonight once I got it back together

• Thanks 1

New problem..... so I got it back together and running.... but when I go to put it in gear it jerks forward and dies. ALso has a weird knocking noise coming from the right side of the motor.... I haven’t done any troubleshooting but thinking my wet clutch may have shit the bed too.... any thoughts?

Parts ordered they ship Tuesday so I should have it back together the night they show up at my door

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• 2005 Polaris Trail Blazer 250 won't start

Hi guys, trying to get a quad running again. It was running fine but the electric start did not work. My uncle was using it and the pull start snapped. So I replaced the pull start and electric starter motor. Now it just cranks and cranks but will not start. I have spark, I have fuel to the carb, I know this is a 2 stroke with a separate oil tank, what else should i check?

By TheJester517, in Polaris ATV Forum

• 5 replies
    • 1999 Suzuki King Quad lt-F300F Hard to start

Hello Just signed up, as I've had a recurring problem, and need some help. To start the bike I have to put the choke on all the way and 4 squeezes on the gas, Then as I push the start, I slow squeeze the throttle about half way for it to catch....If I miss it, then it will take 5 mins of slowly finding the sweetspot on the choke in unison with some throttle squeezes. Then I have to to hold the throttle to keep the bike going, using the choke will stall it out. after about 3 mins of holding the throttle, I then can let it go, and it idles fine, and runs fine. If it sits for a few hours it's only slightly hard to start, but a few days of sitting, and it's a lot more work. Had the bike serviced they couldn't figure it out. They swapped peticock, plug, new gas, all new lines, new throttle, and cable. Said the carb was fine, and clean. New air filter, said fuel pump was fine, no leaks around carb boots, new battery, new rectifier. Ran some sea foam through it....Runs Great.....Just such a pain to start... Thanks

By RichUncleSkeleton, in Suzuki ATV Forum

• 4 replies
    • Where do you guys ride?

Im cool with the police in my area so i can ride on public roads.

By bradley nelson, in Where To Ride Your ATV

• 2 replies
    • 2008 Arctic Cat 250 no start with electric start

I have an 08 250 that will not spark with the electric start. Starts great with the pull cord. I've replaced the stator, checked and cleaned all the electrical connections. Even with the booster on it won't spark while the button is pushed. Any ideas?

By bigguy101, in Arctic Cat ATV Forum

• 5 replies
    • 1987 Yamaha moto 4 will not start

Went to replace battery, then put the old one back on instead. Seeming as it didn't quite fit, I moved the battery on its side, and moved the wiring around a bit. Screwed connectors down into the terminal, now it won't start. Battery has charge, lights work,  but I hear clicking coming from the electric start, and the pull start will not work either. Could it be a bad wire or a wire that shorted??? it just worked right before I went to replace the battery. 

By Warren Miller, in Yamaha ATV Forum

• 4 replies
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By LMI
      The saga of the fan continues.
      The Pin attempt in the fan shaft failed.  I then moved on to trying to weld the fan hub to the fan shaft.  I took it for a run the weld broke.  Now it was truly F'ed.  To recap the dealer price, they want $400 + CND for a replacement fan assembly.
      I searched all sorts of after market places and no one carried one.  Ebay had some used ones but they were $120 USD + Conversion rate for something as old as what I have.  I went to Amazon and eventually settled on this.

amazon link

What I found... and was amazed... was that the fan mounted to the Suzuki fan assembly bracket.  I was prepared to manufacture my own mount conversions...  It also came with "Harpoon mounts" (nylon zip tie like things that go straight through the rad.   Anyways it mounted to the original bracket. It fit perfectly.  Cut the electrical plug off replaced it with the Suzuki... all good.  Let the quad heat up, thermo coupler kicked in the fan circuit, polarity was right... all was good....  Fan is under the circuit fuse rating.  

so I finally have a solid fan solution.  $34 CND vs $400+ CND
    • By Scoopeddad
      I have a 1994 big bear and I am starting to have issues starting. I put in a new starter and selnoid as the at stopped starting with the electrical but will still start with the pull cord. Where and what now should I be looking at to check? If I turn key to on and the switch to on then hit the start button, the bike clicks and then nothing. Lights still work but no response to the starter. Stumped now. Any help would be greAt.
    • By Gator man
      Does any one know the proper adjustments for all the jets in the carb., I just replaced all the jets and I'm getting a lot of backfire also it seems like it isn't getting fuel or bugs down while idling and or riding any help would be great. Thanks
    • By BigSkyKingQuad
      Hello Everyone.
      I was just given a mid 90's King Quad. I got her running today. I have so many questions. I'm Tony from Florence Montana. It runs excellent. I want to change fluids and have some fender work to do. Anyone here have some info on finding out exactly what year, what manual to get, etc? Thanks in Advance. Thank you all for this Forum! 

• By Cory Macleod
      Hi looking for help. My 700 fuel pump won’t cycle when I turn key on also my digital dash is not displaying anything it does light up yellowish but nothing else. If I pour fuel in the intake it will start for second