Quantcast

2001 Quadrunner 500 Running Problems

Coyote251

Hi all,

Picked this bike up about a month ago, and started doing some work on it. I ordered a carb kit from China, but got tired of waiting for it so I went to the bike shop today and picked up a Shindy rebuild kit. Took the carb out of soak, it has been in there for a month, blew all the ports out, cleaned what I could with a guitar string, used air as best I could to make sure everything was clear. After I was satisfied the body was clean I out the kit in it. Got the floats set to 13mm as per the manual (well 12.87 on one side and 12.92 on the other, so close), set the pilot to a little less than 2 1/2 turns out (manual says 2 3/8 turns). Put everything back together and tried to start it, it started and had a week idle. I tried adjusting the idle screw and as soon as I turned it the bike died. Backed it out and tried again, same result. Left it backed out, started it again and gave it some throttle. As soon as the throttle is touch the bike dies. Changed the spark plug for a new one and checked the spark, good and really strong.

I am thinking that I have a bad petcock and am not getting enough fuel to the carburetor. So when I press the throttle I am increasing air but starving for fuel, bike can't run on air alone so it dies. Does this line of thinking make sense? I am gearing up a bottle with a fuel line in it, so I can try gravity feeding fuel to the carb, just have to wait for the silicone to dry so won't be able to test till tomorrow. 

If it turns out to be a bad fuel valve, I will most likely just replace it with a universal one. If I go this route, what do I need to do with the breather line off the carburetor that used to go to the OEM petcock? Block it off or leave it open?

Any help, answers or other ideas of things to check would be greatly appreciated. I have a fishing trip at the end of the month and would love to have my bike running by then. 

Sounds to  me  it is  too  lean . Try turning the  idle air  screw out a little  more. You  might also  pull the  carb apart again  and check for tiny  posts on the side  of the  the  tube the  main  jet needle is in.  One or more of those tiny orifices  could be  plugged. I  is  not starving  for  fuel   instantly  when  you  give it throttle ,  it  isn't getting the  right  mixture. That points to  a  blockage of  or  setting > make sure there is no  hole in the diaphragm  of the carb and the vacuum line and any  breathers  are routed and connected properly .

Petcock issue as I suspected, going to order a new one tomorrow. Hooked it up to a reservoir,turned on the choke and she started right up. Smoked like mad for the first 30-40 minutes or so, gassed me right out of the garage. I don't think it has ran for quite a while. Let it run for a bit, enriched the mix a little bit and now she's running smokeless. I've got the vacuum lines sealed off right now and am running it in prime. Got the rear end all back together tonight and took it for the first drive since I bought it. Its not perfect, but it was solid for the short 15-20 minute ride. Got a few more things to clean up tomorrow and will give it a bit longer test ride then.  

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Mitch Judd said:

No I was just doing ten posts so I could download a manual 

Well at least you are honest enough to admit it! The point of asking new members to have a count of 10 items of activity is so they look around the community and consider taking part and not just join to grab a manual and leave. We offer this library of member contributed downloads and the thousands of other items of content to help and bring riders together,

There is a clear announcement in the downloads section that states:

Spamming our website to raise counts will cause you to be banned and lose access to this site. Your IP and username will be blacklisted across major anti-spam services.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Admin said:

Well at least you are honest enough to admit it! The point of asking new members to have a count of 10 items of activity is so they look around the community and consider taking part and not just join to grab a manual and leave. We offer this library of member contributed downloads and the thousands of other items of content to help and bring riders together,

There is a clear announcement in the downloads section that states:

Spamming our website to raise counts will cause you to be banned and lose access to this site. Your IP and username will be blacklisted across major anti-spam services.

I get that. And if you want to bad my I would understand that as well. I was just given a old quad by my boss.  I'm not totally sure I'm going to get into that much but I hope I do. I apologize for the inconvenience.

13 minutes ago, Mitch Judd said:

I get that. And if you want to bad my I would understand that as well. I was just given a old quad by my boss.  I'm not totally sure I'm going to get into that much but I hope I do. I apologize for the inconvenience.

No worries, just please keep readers in mind when you post. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...