Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

Just here for manual

14 hours ago, lewjones46 said:

Mike --This certainly not  of wanting or getting instant gratification---been several weeks -in fact over a month--still no help and still can not load a service manual--says it has malware.

I was not referring to you or your post.

I went to the download area and downloaded the manuals your looking for, scanned them and there was no malware or anything in the files. They are clean.

What software are you using that is reporting these files as malware?

Mike

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Frank Angerano said:

True story !!!! 

I can't blame the administrator for imposing a policy of a post count before allowing downloads. Policies like this goes way back to the days of BBS's I was a sysop of one for years and you would have those that would do nothing but download files until they got kicked off for exceeding time. Of course in those days only one user could be online at a time since you had to use a phone line and modem. Nowadays that of course isn't true with hosting service, its only a matter of bandwidth depending on the hosting service you are using and how much they allow.

Forums used to suffer from a different issue, bots posting links and scams. Registration process has gotten better to catch these bots and block them before they can post a bunch of scam and crap on the system. I maintain our club's website and it used to be horrible, I would have to clean out sometimes up to 500 bots a DAY! We as a club decided to only allow access for members only and I shut down the registration (nobody can sign up on our website) When a member joins the club, I just insert their member info into the website and they are good to go.

We use a traditional forum board similar to this, We had talked about opening a social media page (like Facebook) but decided against it. Having topics arranged like they have here is much cleaner and more organized. Example, I am from the Northeast part of PA, they have a riding section, subtopic northeast. So when an important article came out about the trail initiative that will expand ATV riding in the area, that is the exact place to post it. Anyone from the area can clearly see it.

Mike

• Like 1

On 12/17/2018 at 7:02 AM, mikeexplorer said:

Agreed, sounds like your like me, old school. Been on fourm boards for years, but over the past few years social media has taken over and many have shut down for lack of use. I still prefer the fourm boards over social media because its organized better, with groups and topics. Social media tends to be like spaghetti of posts and nonsense.

I have also seen how people have changed because of social media. They will post a question, then like 2 hours later, post a reply like "What? Nobody has an answer for me?" They don't get it how it works. They want the "instant gratification" of social media verses the fourm boards.

Mike

I agree @mikeexplorer about social media. We've definitely seen a shift in the type of usage we see, where back in the day the "sharing" we used to see about people's rides, trips, photos, etc., has declined and shifted more to large social networks. People usually get a comment pretty quick if they have a bunch of followers, so the expectation for replies translates to other smaller sites/networks. We have over the past few years seen a majority of our forum topics shift to "help needed" type of topics, which is not being satisfied in all cases on those larger social network sites. That being said, we've categorized forums and information around that to encourage member participation. 

33 minutes ago, mikeexplorer said:

I was not referring to you or your post.

I went to the download area and downloaded the manuals your looking for, scanned them and there was no malware or anything in the files. They are clean.

What software are you using that is reporting these files as malware?

Mike

If this is the file, it's clean and so is the page. We have server security measures (firewall and malicious file scanning) in place to avoid issues. Sometimes the user's browser is actually hijacked by malware.

18 minutes ago, mikeexplorer said:

I can't blame the administrator for imposing a policy of a post count before allowing downloads. Policies like this goes way back to the days of BBS's I was a sysop of one for years and you would have those that would do nothing but download files until they got kicked off for exceeding time. Of course in those days only one user could be online at a time since you had to use a phone line and modem. Nowadays that of course isn't true with hosting service, its only a matter of bandwidth depending on the hosting service you are using and how much they allow.

Forums used to suffer from a different issue, bots posting links and scams. Registration process has gotten better to catch these bots and block them before they can post a bunch of scam and crap on the system. I maintain our club's website and it used to be horrible, I would have to clean out sometimes up to 500 bots a DAY! We as a club decided to only allow access for members only and I shut down the registration (nobody can sign up on our website) When a member joins the club, I just insert their member info into the website and they are good to go.

We use a traditional forum board similar to this, We had talked about opening a social media page (like Facebook) but decided against it. Having topics arranged like they have here is much cleaner and more organized. Example, I am from the Northeast part of PA, they have a riding section, subtopic northeast. So when an important article came out about the trail initiative that will expand ATV riding in the area, that is the exact place to post it. Anyone from the area can clearly see it.

Mike

Lots of things have changed and over the years we've implemented measures to control spam and such but it still happens occasionally. We have to continuously evolve in order to stay relevant. Thanks for posting your experience, looks like you can relate!

21 hours ago, lewjones46 said:

I am using mal-ware bytes --I was able to down load the one that was presented to me [at least parts] thanks .It justf cut me off.

I use that same program as well as Sbybot Search & destroy.

If you were getting the warning that the files you were trying to download were infected, then what has probably happened is your browser was hijacked. The files here are clean but there may be something in your browser trying to re-direct your download request to another site.

Download spybot search & destroy and install (they have a free version)Shut down your computer and disconnect it from the internet, reboot and run a FULL scan with both programs (not at the same time) Malwarebytes you have to choose "Custom scan" and select your entire hard drive to be scanned, let it do its thing, it will take some time.

That should detect if you have anything going on with your system.

Mike

• Like 2

I barely have time to keep them running, I search boards for answers to questions I have and on occasion will add something if I can help but who has time to spend on boards or social media or surfing the web. If that's your thing great but for me its a tool nothing more nothing less. I am sure your good guys and someday maybe I will have time but right now its just a way to get and give info

• 2 weeks later...