Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Kurt Reiser

1995 Polaris magnum 425 will not run with airbox hooked up

My quad will not run with the airbox hooked up  Will not go past quarter throttle as soon as you unhook the tube at the back of the carburetor it runs great  does anybody have any ideas what it could be I have a bad fuel pump one on the way can that cause the quad to run like that

Edited by Kurt Reiser
Dictated wrong

Also how is the bike running if the fuel pump is bad ? If it’s still running and the pump is not delivering the proper amount of fuel then maybe that’s the cause but I’ve never really seen a partially broken fuel pump.  

Sorry I have it gravity fed right now. I was reading on here earlier there were things as simple as airbox leaking to Cambria albums to carburetor problems the carburetor was rebuilt by Polaris I bought a new one also tried that did not work Cam is fine Valves are adjusted correctly I just don’t know where to go

Edited by Kurt Reiser
Wanted to add more

Frank there are no obstructions even before I gravity fed it I believe the fuel pump wasn’t working the way it was supposed to because it was still doing the same thing you give it a third a quarter throttle and it would bog  out you disconnect the airbox runs fine

I’ve been playing with cars mobile life no nothing really about bikes very minimum so I decided to take it to the Polaris dealer he rebuilt the carburetor I asked him to check the fuel pump he told me it was fine I think it may of ran OK for a very short time started doing this with continually run the minute when you went over quarter throttle it would bog out I disconnected the fuel pump at The carburetor and gravity fed that’s when I noticed if you take off the airbox hose it runs great you put it on it will do the same thing quarter throttle bogs out. The fuel pump should be here today so I will try it laterThe fuel pump should be here today so I will try it later

Edited by Kurt Reiser
Not enough information

The only thing that comes to mind is there is possibly a constant pressure that the fuel pump delivers keeping the carburetor properly fueled.   

I would do exactly what you said and start with putting the new pump in and go from there.   See if that corrects the problem.  Is not you will have to go a few steps further and maybe make some adjustments or check the carburetor for an obstruction. 

Keep in mind yiu have to prime that pump before you hook it up to the carburetor.  

Keep us posted.  Good luck.

Frank I’ve been looking in my clymer manual it  doesn’t give a procedure to prime the fuel pump any chance you could explain it to me on here 

It’s just a matter of taking the fuel line that goes to the carb off and putting it in a cup and crank the engine until you see fuel come from the line line in your cup.  Once that’s done you should be good to go.  I like to take the spark plug wire off and tuck it away safe so the bike does not start if you have any fuel left in the carburetor. 

No luck did not work still doing the same thing the carburetor was rebuilt by Polaris I bought a new one off eBay neither one works Not quite sure what to do now other than run it without a airbox

Ok so let’s go back to the carb. It’s obviously starving for air with the filter box on. Juts because Polaris rebuilt it does not mean they didn’t miss something. Maybe it’s set wrong ?  Any backfires? 

I would try to adjust the air/fuel mixture screw and see what happens.  You should remember where it is before you do anything. Screw it into a snug position but count the rotation of turns to that position and write it down so you know.  This way you can always go back to that setting. Then try setting it at a different point.  For instance if it’s 1-3/4 turns out from snug then go 2-1/2 turns out. Test the bike and keep at it. You will get it.   

I do understand what you’re telling me but I don’t see any screws on this original Polaris carburetor I also put a second carburetor on this that I bought off of eBay it is doing the same thing yes I do have a backfire only when the air boxes on I do not have a backfire when I disconnect the tube that goes to the airbox

It’s on the bottom of the carb.  There may be a small metal plug covering up the screw but it’s there someplace.  All carburetors have a mixture screw.   

Also have you checked the manifold that the carburetor mounts to on the engine side for any cracks ?

Yes I found the screw it was 3/4 of it turn out I want to 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 still doing the same thing I did check the manifold

Was there another other change in the way the engine ran while making adjustments? The engine should have changed the way it ran worse or rom change ? 

Frank I did not have a screwdriver small enough I had to take it off each time and turn it out I was going to make a small screwdriver but it got late I’ll try that today

I'll be following along too.  I think since I bypassed my pump, My carb is overflowing and flooding the engine.  If I have the af off, the engine turns on and races, If the af is on, it floods out and wont start.  Anyway, thats my problem for my thread, I would not have a clue whats wrong with yours.  What elevation are you at?

I have had to make a few different types of screwdrivers to get In there while the bike is running.  Each bike is didfent of course.  Even small mirrors to see what I’m doing.   You cannot fully adjust a bike without it running.   I like to hear and feel a change in the engine as you adjust.   And you should clearly see the engine change it’s attitude as you adjust. If not then the air fuel screw needs replacing as it’s worn or damaged.   

• Thanks 1

Frank I really appreciate all the help I will try that when I get back home I bought a carburetor off eBay brand new aftermarket how are they? I put it on several times it kept doing the same thing should I go back to that carburetor and try to adjust it? I was reading on this forum it could be the Cam it could be valves I’ve checked all that stuff though  i’m assuming I just dissed just like I would a car is that correct