Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

ezduzit

1994 ? YAMAHA WOLVERINE 2X4 250 STALLING.

I have a problem here, she starts and only runs for about a minute on her own fuel. her idle is high then boggs down. Then she seems to have

a light backfire then dies. Any ideas what to look for are appreciated. Ive already gone through the carbs.

Check for air leaks. While it's idling spray starting fluid on the intake boot and around the head. If that checks out okay. Clean or replace the air filter. If that doesn't do it. Then adjust your air fuel mixture again.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

It sounds like the fuel in the bowl in the carb is being used up and not filling back up fast enough.  Check the fuel lines and make sure your good from the gas valve to the carb and maybe pull the carburetor off and clean it out.  Maybe bad gas ? Was it running fine before this problem ? 

• Like 2

you think it might also be a spark issue?  I had a tiller engine (briggs and stratton) that would die under load, then it started dying seconds after start up- found a cracked spark plug head- gonna replace it and see if that fixes my issue- maybe yours too?

• Like 1

It may very well be spark related. Start it and let it run till it dies. Pull the plug and look at it. Black and wet is rich white and dry is lean. Tan is perfect

• Like 1

thanks to all that replied. upon closer look found a hairline crack on the intake boot. unsure if i can fix it or would replacement be best?

not good- I would replace it- i guess it depends on where its located- might be able to melt it together with a blow torch or something...

• Like 1

Replace it with oem. You can't go wrong there. Chinese sucks and they just aren't the same quality. It may work for 3 days or 6 months. But it will fail

• Like 1

If im not mistaken, you cant find aftermarket ducts...not sure though- they are stupid expensive- for my bayou, it was $40 for a peice of rubber office boss GIF

wish there was another alternative to run to...

well off to ebay hope i find one thanks again. 

''doing what i gotta do to eat'' have a great day gents

couple of things i found on why she was'nt running right. 

#1 fuel filter was clogged/ replaced

#2 sparkplug was fouled/ replaced

#3 bad fuel/ old fuel/ replaced

as for the intake boot crack it was just on the rubber coating and not affecting air intake. 

really enjoying this forum, learned a bunch already. sure i'll be back on the next project/ flip.

To all novices out in QC land (like myself) that love to do it yourself. Check here first b4 you spend your $$. 

Start with the obvious things before you rule out anything.

Go Tarheels shooting for three (finals) fours in a row

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Dra O
      posted a while back - it was running at one point - I have all the plastic shroud off - it's down to frame and engine now
      -fuel pump: when line from petcock is attached, no fuel comes out other side to carb; the line to the carb is open (can blow through it); I thought when I cranked engine that the pump would spit out fuel on other side but it does not; I removed fuel pump and opened it up - diaphragm looks good - but internal areas had lotsa calcification build up - I cleaned this out and dried it good - the clear plastic pieces (?diaphragms) aren't broken - the spring w/ steel ball on end moves freely; am putting it back on tomorrow; but can anyone answer about the pump? isn't it supposed to pump fuel through it... to other side... to carb? puzzling
      -along with fuel pump: I replaced petcock 3 weeks ago (gas tank had rusty fuel in bottom - cleaned it out prior to new petcock); when I turn petcock arrow NOT to on or reserve, fuel comes out of line; when I turn it to on or reserve, fuel doesn't come out; puzzling
      -I don't know what's on back of fuel pump - it's a valve that has a hose coming out of it - looks like it goes to engine/carb - I haven't traced this out yet - what is it?
      -can squirt gas on air filter and engine will run for 2-3 seconds then stop - fuel in top of carb (under diaphragm) does same
      -it likely needs carb rebuild - will get to this - but something isn't allowing fuel to get from fuel pump to carb
      -I THINK it has a mikuni model x carb - diaphragm is ID 26mm  OD 68mm - hard to find inexpensive diaphragm, I guess because it's a model x
      -last thing - I replaced solenoid due to old one clicking; I HAVE to be charging the battery or it won't start/turn over - battery just goes dead; but if charging, it'll turn over nicely; i'm guessing it's a bad battery
      -any help appreciated - I've never owned an ATV before - inherited this beast from grandparent in-law
    • By Scott Sirr
      I need to figure out how to clean/fix or replace my neutral switch assembly On my 2008 Yamaha big bear 400 as generally the neutral light doesn’t come on when it is in neutral. To get it to come on I have to wiggle the foot shifter and hold it in just the right spot.
      I have googled it and can’t find much on the 400’s. I can’t find a service manual online and the parts manual is super vague.
      I think it is in the right side engine cover area, but not certain. 
       Any help would be great. thanks
      Scott
    • By David Miller
      Does anyone know how to access the check engine codes on a 2018 450 sportsman. Just changed battery and spark plug . It runs fine but the light is on and I need this to plow snow and need it reliable. Any ideas . Thanks
    • By Nick Brooks
      Working on a 2002 Quest 500 and the grommets in the tank are rock hard and leak.  Any tips on replacing without having to pull the tank, hands are too big to get to the bottom gromment which is the worst one.
    • By Kaj Colum
      Have a Bayou 400. sometimes when I press the start button i hear the solenoid click but the starter does not engage. Here is the strange thing though, when that happens if I kick the kick start just once then press the start button starter engages normally. Any ideas?

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Gerry Davidson
      Can anyone help me , I did the rear brake pads and rotor but cant find the brake fluid reservoir.   The front in rite there but cant find the back . 
    • By Robert Ochoa
      Don't worry about hauling the ATVs. We have the helmets, goggles, and gloves covered too. Our equipment is well maintained and gassed up ready to go!
      We take the work out of your fun!
      Book your next adventure now!
      www.awesomeatvrentals.com
      https://www.instagram.com/we_are_atvs/
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWTAk9BABQNion2JJ_TfQXA
      we_are_atvs
      #fourwheeler #atvlife #atvriding #atv #4wheeling #fourwheeling #mudding #outdooradventure #atvs #mudlife #powersports #northcarolina #southcarolina #southcarolinalife #offroading #AwesomeATVRentals #yamaha
    • By oxidized_black
      View File 2003-2006 Yamaha Wolverine YFM450 Service Manual
      2003-2006 Yamaha Wolverine YFM450 Service Manual
      Submitter oxidized_black Submitted 12/15/2016 Category Yamaha ATV  
    • By oxidized_black
      2003-2006 Yamaha Wolverine YFM450 Service Manual
    • By Hasten Haynes
      Idles fine but 3/4 throttle through 2nd gear the atv Boggs and backfires. I’ve replaced carburetor, air filter, spark plug, carburetor boots. Any ideas?