Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

ezduzit

1994 ? YAMAHA WOLVERINE 2X4 250 STALLING.

I have a problem here, she starts and only runs for about a minute on her own fuel. her idle is high then boggs down. Then she seems to have

a light backfire then dies. Any ideas what to look for are appreciated. Ive already gone through the carbs.

Check for air leaks. While it's idling spray starting fluid on the intake boot and around the head. If that checks out okay. Clean or replace the air filter. If that doesn't do it. Then adjust your air fuel mixture again.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

It sounds like the fuel in the bowl in the carb is being used up and not filling back up fast enough.  Check the fuel lines and make sure your good from the gas valve to the carb and maybe pull the carburetor off and clean it out.  Maybe bad gas ? Was it running fine before this problem ? 

• Like 2

you think it might also be a spark issue?  I had a tiller engine (briggs and stratton) that would die under load, then it started dying seconds after start up- found a cracked spark plug head- gonna replace it and see if that fixes my issue- maybe yours too?

• Like 1

It may very well be spark related. Start it and let it run till it dies. Pull the plug and look at it. Black and wet is rich white and dry is lean. Tan is perfect

• Like 1

thanks to all that replied. upon closer look found a hairline crack on the intake boot. unsure if i can fix it or would replacement be best?

not good- I would replace it- i guess it depends on where its located- might be able to melt it together with a blow torch or something...

• Like 1

Replace it with oem. You can't go wrong there. Chinese sucks and they just aren't the same quality. It may work for 3 days or 6 months. But it will fail

• Like 1

If im not mistaken, you cant find aftermarket ducts...not sure though- they are stupid expensive- for my bayou, it was $40 for a peice of rubber office boss GIF

wish there was another alternative to run to...

well off to ebay hope i find one thanks again. 

''doing what i gotta do to eat'' have a great day gents

couple of things i found on why she was'nt running right. 

#1 fuel filter was clogged/ replaced

#2 sparkplug was fouled/ replaced

#3 bad fuel/ old fuel/ replaced

as for the intake boot crack it was just on the rubber coating and not affecting air intake. 

really enjoying this forum, learned a bunch already. sure i'll be back on the next project/ flip.

To all novices out in QC land (like myself) that love to do it yourself. Check here first b4 you spend your $$. 

Start with the obvious things before you rule out anything.

Go Tarheels shooting for three (finals) fours in a row

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Tiffany Rowland
      I am working on a Honda sportrax I just got my daughter for get birthday and the reverse and neutral light are not working. When I traced the wire down I saw that it wasn't plugged in but I don't see where it is supposed to connect. Does any one have a general idea of where I should look?

• By MarkinAR
      Working on my oldest son's buddy's 2000 Big Bear.  He was having some power loss at WOT so i thought it worth while to clean the carb and put at kit in it...or at least clean the OEM jets and use the new orings that come in the kit.  It starts and idles like a champ, but dies and wants to backfire with any throttle at all.  I assume lean because it will run decent with the choke on. Air screw adjusted fine, nice crisp idle.  This one has fuel/air screw, low speed jet, mid jet, and main jet.  I was assuming just trash in the low speed circuit so pulled it and cleaned again, still does the same. 
      Two questions I guess:
      1. Does it sound most likely trash in the off idle circuit?  This one has a few more passages and jets than I'm used to...and a darn diaphragm.
      2. It now really wants to leak at the bowl drain screw.  It doesn't seem to tighten enough to completely stop the flow.  Seat looks good, screw was dirty but cleaned up fine with a touch of 2000 grit paper.  First for me.  Any idea here?
    • By Stacy Hanks
      I have  2000 Yamaha bear tracker 250 - igniton relay and starter relay both were replaced also the neutral switch indicator was replaced-- bike will not show light on for neutral or start when button is pushed

• By orvilleortiz538
      So My 07 Kymco Mongoose 300 was having a bit of choke issue and I have an Ultrasonic and decided to dip it in for a good clean up,and now the atv don’t want to start,it tried but it backfired a little bit but still won’t start,any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • By Ryann Racho
      So Id say about 2 years back I bought a 2013 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. off of my uncle. It ran perfectly, nothing wrong at all. I usually go mudding with it or just ride trails with buddies. So as you would assume, the quad is quite dirty from sitting for a few weeks.

STUTTERING PROBLEM: I noticed one day out of nowhere that in high gear at 15-20 MPH, I was already maxed out at 4500-5000 RPM  It would get to 15-20 mph, max out on rpms and start sputtering. It sounded like it was basically acting like it couldn’t go any faster than this.

IDLING PROBLEM: I was fucking with the carberator the other day maybe thinking that is causing my sputtering, and now my idle will shoot up to 2600 on start usually, then I will turn the throttle adjustment down to the normal 1400. The rpms with then fluctuate 10-30 rpms back and forth repeatedly, it will then run for about another 30-60 seconds and the RPMs will slowly drop to about 900-1000 RPM and stall out. I replaced the carburetor and everything seems to be working perfect on that, no leaks and what not but it’s still acting strange. Also, I’ve noticed that when looking into the Electronic Throttle Control that two plates that aren’t supposed to touch have to be WAY past touching to even try to fire up. Even when set at a wide open throttle like that, I still have to give it some throttle to get it to fire up.

Here is what I have done so far: 
      Checked the belt and clutch
      Changed out spark plug (Last one was covered in carbon)
      Cleaned the intake and air box
      Replaced the carburetor
      Replaced the inline fuel filter
      Checked that all lines on carburetor are connected into the right spots
      Checked If intake boot was cracked (Not from what I can see)
      Unhooked and reattached new carburetor (About 4-5 times)
      Cleaned battery terminals and battery off
      Shut on and off Gas Line Cutoff Valve

My next thoughts are that maybe the TPS is fucked up or maybe the Spark Arrestor is plugged with mud. I was thinking tomorrow to purge the exhaust and also check the ohms output on the TPS.

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. I HAVE BEEN BATTLING THIS FOR WEEK AND REALLY WANT TO GO RIDING. THANK YOU!
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Gerry Davidson
      Can anyone help me , I did the rear brake pads and rotor but cant find the brake fluid reservoir.   The front in rite there but cant find the back . 
    • By Robert Ochoa
      Don't worry about hauling the ATVs. We have the helmets, goggles, and gloves covered too. Our equipment is well maintained and gassed up ready to go!
      We take the work out of your fun!
      Book your next adventure now!
      www.awesomeatvrentals.com
      https://www.instagram.com/we_are_atvs/
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWTAk9BABQNion2JJ_TfQXA
      we_are_atvs
      #fourwheeler #atvlife #atvriding #atv #4wheeling #fourwheeling #mudding #outdooradventure #atvs #mudlife #powersports #northcarolina #southcarolina #southcarolinalife #offroading #AwesomeATVRentals #yamaha
    • By oxidized_black
      View File 2003-2006 Yamaha Wolverine YFM450 Service Manual
      2003-2006 Yamaha Wolverine YFM450 Service Manual
      Submitter oxidized_black Submitted 12/15/2016 Category Yamaha ATV  
    • By oxidized_black
      2003-2006 Yamaha Wolverine YFM450 Service Manual
    • By Hasten Haynes
      Idles fine but 3/4 throttle through 2nd gear the atv Boggs and backfires. I’ve replaced carburetor, air filter, spark plug, carburetor boots. Any ideas?