Quantcast

Metal shavings in crankcase of Baja Storm 125

The title pretty much explains it all. When using the starter I can hear it spinning but not engaging the engine. The wheels also do not engage with the wheels when the clutch is out. The motor has compression if that helps.

I am new to engine work and repair and I bought this quad with the idea of fixing it up (not knowing the full extent of the damage). The previous owner said it ran but sat for a year (I don’t believe that for a second after opening it up) and had bought a few new plugs and a starter motor, none of which fixed the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have attached a few pics of what I think could be wrong.

41262095-9FD5-4942-8CD7-A63D835725AC.jpeg

44F18F99-ACE1-4C49-82AF-70952154598D.jpeg

C1F5C678-A000-4AA3-A652-AB1AC7BD34F4.jpeg

506622A6-1212-4BDC-AC1E-B8C8C12052C9.jpeg

As long as it’s in neutral it should not have resistance with or without the clutch.  So if you put it in first gear or any gear for that matter the engine should resist with the clutch out and very little resistance with it pulled in.  So first I would go through all the gears one by one and see that it’s changing gears properly. After that I would look at the clutch actuator that expands the clutch. It’s the lever on the side of the engine where the clutch cable connects to.  There is a shaft back there and that rolls the clutch out. Based on the metal chunks it sounds like you maybe blew a gear.   

How does the lever feel when you pull it in? There should be a spring loaded type pressure.   If so and you can see the clutch expands on pulling the lever then it’s working. It’s most likely something internal. Maybe a shaft or gear and will involve pulling the flywheel and exposing as much as you can without splitting the engine.  If not then your going to have to yank the engine. 

But before you do all that. Have you checked the drivetrain to see that any of the drive shafts and yolks are not broken including the rear differential? 

Start with the simple stuff first before you go deep.  

I am totally confused now. If the quad does not have a clutch then why do the wheels not connect to the engine? And how could I bump start it?

Back to the starter not engaging I believe the thing that I took a picture of in the second to last image is shearing off (if not completely gone already). Could that be the cause of my issues?

Thanks a lot for your help.

You can’t bump start a centrifugal clutch.  It works on expansion and revolutions. The faster it spins the weights in the clutch expand grabbing the housing and the wheels spin.   

Im not 100% familiar with your engine without looking at a manual as well as the angle of the pics you sent but if you removed the clutch off of that shaft and your seeing shear marks I would guess that’s your problem.   

So based on the pics it looks like something was taken off of the shaft in the pic? Is that correct.

On the other side of the engine, is there a cover that’s much different ? the clutch assembly is generally bigger and it’s a  larger size cover. Like I said I’m not familiar with that engine but the premise is pretty much the same as other engines.  

I’m just wondering if you have taken anything off.   

Is that the left side of the engine your showing ?

• Like 1

I did take off a gear and the flywheel from the shaft in the pictures above. The left side is very different from the right side in appearance and size. Thank you for all of your help today but it is getting quite late where I am and it is difficult to see with my dim garage lights. I will continue working tomorrow.

Here is a picture of the left side of the quad. I believe it hosts the CVT as the end of the cover leads to the chain that turns the wheels.

64A0F3CB-B819-46DF-879F-0BD385745227.jpeg

EDE76579-7EC6-4EFD-8A12-FE9A59143801.jpeg

So when you get back to work on the bike you can test a few things.  

1. Bump the starter button and see if that gear coming from the starter spins.  If so then you may have just lost the keyway that holds the flywheel and starter gear on the shaft  or the nut came loose holding the flywheel. Not likely but possibly.

2. That break lever your referring to when you say you need it to start the bike has a pin that’s sticking up to lock the brake. The reason you thought it was a clutch I’m assuming is because you cant start the bike without pulling it in.  That’s just a safety in place so god forbid the throttle got stuck and the bike started it would take off. This brake safety stops that from happening.  

The side cover with the clutch inside can be taken off and inspected and we will help you walk through the process.  Just take care of the starter problem first.