Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

Metal shavings in crankcase of Baja Storm 125

It’s going to have to come apart obviously and you really need to look at the repair manual.  But you can pull that nut off of that shaft  and the starter clutch will come off.  

Once you get it off see how the middle part of the starter clutch spins. It should only spin one way if is free spins both ways it’s no good and most likely the problem. 

You can find one on eBay I’m sure for about $30 bucks.  

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F142528436451

I definitely would recommend finding a repair manual

• 1 month later...

The spark plug should be dry.  If it’s covered in oil then that’s bad.  Are you sure it’s oil and not gas? 

Do this.  Take the plug out and clean it good with some sand paper or a wire brush.  Plug it into the ignition coil where it belongs and rest the plug against the head and test for spark.   

As mentioned in my original post the previous seller included a few extra parts in the sale, including a new and unopened 4 pin CDI. I installed the part but got the same results.

One thing I noticed is this black wire with a yellow stripe not connected to anything else on the quad. Another wire with the same color scheme is attached on one end to the key and nothing else on the other. Is this the cause of my problems? I have attached photos of the CDI and ignition switch below.

4B66A128-5BFB-4D22-9C16-B28EB42D9C07.jpeg

0A032AAE-E854-46C9-AB2C-4D2E09FC0316.jpeg

7F3A7A42-1A45-42FC-90EA-984811FC2414.jpeg

F2B96D7D-669F-4921-9250-868C4458D36F.jpeg

C7B7A659-A5BE-455C-90F6-6D4A109DCA0A.jpeg

Even more searching has led me to find that one of the wires running out of the ignition coil is black with a yellow stripe, coincidentally the same color as the ones not connected to anything on the CDI and ignition switch. I’m no electrician but are you sure that the black and yellow wire running out of the CDI is an accessory wire? 

The whole quad electrical system seems to have been heavily tampered with if that makes a difference.

It makes. A huge difference. The stator coil wires. Test all three. Each one to ground with a continuity tester ohms. You should not get a reading from each wire to ground. 

Second is to test each wire to wire with the tester on the same setting. You should get a similar reading from wire to wire.  

I will find the diagram and see if I can give you a hand in the mean time.  

I think I did the test right.

There was connectivity between every wire and the frame of the quad. Is this a possible result? I might have done the test wrong but what I did was set the meter on ohms and connect it to the wire coming out of the stator on one side and a point on the frame on the other end. The meter showed a reading near or in the kilo ohms every time.

I don't know if this would be any help, but this is the stator of an Arctic Cat. There are two parts to it, the first is the three wires that generate AC voltage which then goes to the regulator to produce power for the quad and recharge the battery. As Frank mentioned you should check each wire to wire (three of them) and you should get the same ohm reading or very close. Any one of these wires testing to ground should be an open reading. Any reading to ground means a bad stator (ground faulted)

The other two wires are the pickup coil for the CDI to tell it when to spark. On Arctic cats, this fires the plug twice each full cycle of the 4 stroke (the second spark is basically wasted as its the exhaust stroke) but its common practice, since the coil picks up each time the stator rotates.

The service manual tells you what the ohm readings should be for both the stator and pickup coil, but any reading to ground is a clear indication of a bad part.

Mike

stator.jpg

• Like 1