Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Richard Western

KLF 300 neutral and reverse issue

Hi guys,

I am hoping someone might be able to help me out. My Kawasaki 300 4x4 has an issue where it doesn't seem to want to go into neutral and also it will shift into reverse without using the lockout knob.

If anyone can suggest what to look at it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Hey Richard, welcome to Quadcrazy.  What year is the bike?

That lock out knob, when you turn it, is there spring  loaded pressure that returns it back?

On the left side of the engine where the shifter is there is the reverse cam lock out that the cable leads to.  Follow that down and see if anything is jamming it up the cable.   If not the problem may be under that cover where the actual reverse cam is. But I don’t know the year and some vary.   The cover that houses that part is called  the bevel gear cover. It’s a bitch to get off but doable. Unfortunately the engine bolts all need to come off and the left foot rest  as well. 

Its possible the spring is bad or worse the shaft inside is broke. 

But before you get into all that do some simple testing first and go through all the gears etc and see if anything else is not right.

• Thanks 1

Here are some pics of what you may be looking for.  

Fist pic is the cover, second is the cover off and the neutral safety switch covering the cam and shaft. Third pic is the actual cam and the lock out lever.  

C6382DAD-3281-47C6-8860-50B504593188.png

E89BEC9B-934A-4D53-810F-9155A7B9D2D8.png

89AF74BD-2962-4AC3-B041-B151DBC10E5A.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Wow, thanks Frank for taking the time to post such a detailed reply that is really going to help me out a lot.

I am not 100% on the year but I think it's around '95.

The knob still feels spring loaded but possibly not as strong as it was.

I will have a look at the things you have suggested tomorrow and post back with what I find.

Thanks again for your help.

Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to give this issue a good looking at today but I had a quick look and now the issue has completely changed to where the bike is stuck in neutral which has really confused me now 🤔

The shifter feels like its shifting but the neutral light stays on?

My guess is that shaft on the reverse cam is broken leaving the neutral light on. If I’m correct that means the engine gets split. 

I would start by locating that light green wire over that bevel gear cover and unplug it.  If the neutral light goes off then the problem is under that cover.  

78CBA34A-A767-4C3B-9D98-A234A277757F.jpeg

When your ready to pull that cover let me know I will walk you through it. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you Frank, your help and knowledge is truly appreciated.

I feared that it would be a big job.

I will try as you suggest and disconnect the green wire and post back with the result.

Thanks!

The picture here is the reverse cam.   The neutral safety switch sits right over it. It’s held in by two Philips screws circled in yellow. The red circle is the spring loaded contact on the reverse cam.  The back side of neutral safety switch has two copper circles under it. That tab on the reverse cam touches the copper circles turning the neutral light on (green wire) and the reverse light (red wire) that’s all done by shifting which happens when you shift gears that shaft rotates and turns the cam into position.  So I’m thinking that that shaft is not rotating. 

F70D4ABC-6D2F-47B3-9376-3E4C172963A5.jpeg

• Thanks 1

OK so I unplugged the green wire and the neutral light did go off. When I reconnected it with the key in the on position there was an audible click from the relay on the battery box  is that normal?

I assume that the oil needs to be drained before pulling the cover, is that correct?

Thanks again for your help.

Yes the relay should have clicked. That completes the starting circuit.

The bevel gear cover when unbolted will not slide off because the shifter shaft prevents it from sliding off due to the close proximity to the frame.  So two ways to do this. One way is to pull the engine out of the bike and make the repair. This may be the best way to go for you since the problem may be deeper inside the engine. 

Second way: The oil does get drained, the engine mount bolts all need to be taken out including the bolt/brackets on the top and front of the engine. These are triangular shaped brackets that are bolted to the frame and the engine.  They both have to come out for clearance. The left foot rest needs to come off as well.  The exhaust silencer gets taken off so when you raise the engine it does not twist the exhaust or put pressure on the pipe coming from the engine. There are four nuts 12mm holding the rear axle shaft to the engine they  come off as well but not until the last minute  and see if the engine moves up without taking them out. If not then take them off.  

Once thats all done the engine should be pried up gently, have some wood wedges ready to stick in between the engine and frame to keep it up.  Just don’t force it. The engine should move up freely and only need to go up about two inches max. 

After thats done you should be able to take that cover off. 

Make sure all the bolts are off the bevel gear cover and tap it with a rubber mallet to loosen it. 

Lastly I want to mention one important thing. Take a big piece of cardboard, as you remove bolts put a hole in the cardboard, stick the bolt in and write on the cardboard with a  marker where it came from. 

Good luck. I will be checking in to see how your doing.  Take pics.  

• Thanks 1

Thank you yet again Frank for taking the time to help.

I will have to tear into this as soon as I have enough time to dedicate to it, it sounds like one of those jobs where if you stop and come back to it later you will have forgotten where things go.

I am sure I will be back with more questions to get me through this process.

I cant thank you enough for your assistance buddy.

Make sure that little lever that the reverse cable goes to isn't jammed with crap potentially causing your issue before taking the bike apart.  I had a Kawasaki and the reverse lever got a stick in it and I could not for the life of mr get it into neutral.  Took the stick out and works great

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your reply Jacob, much appreciated.

I will check that out, it would be a huge relief if it is something that simple so I will keep my fingers crossed.

I will post back soon.

Thanks again.

So I pulled the cover off that exposes the lever at the end of the reverse cable and it was all caked with hard mud, dry grass and all sorts of junk, cleaned all that stuff out and made a small adjustment to the reverse cable and now it seems to be working! 😁

I am happy that it was an easy fix... for now at least.

Thank you both for making the effort to help me out!  

That’s a one piece cover as far as I knew.  Can you post a pic I’m curious about the one on your bike.