Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Jeff Comstock

Testing help for coil on 99 bayou 300

Ok, I was just curious.  I’m not sold on that stator being bad but go with it and see how it goes.   Meantime I would continue with all other tests just to rule out any other failures.   
Go through everything else so it’s all wrapped up and it’s just a matter of putting the stator in.  I’m particularly curious on the regulator tests.   

On 10/29/2019 at 1:45 PM, Jeff Comstock said:

I get  001 ohms on the stator on every wire at 2000 and 1.0 at 200. I'm assuming that taking that down exponentially to 1 on a meter would be .005 ohms, way below spec. Houston we have a problem, bad stator I'm thinking unless exponentially dropping my reading is wrong. I'll let y'all know

I believe that you're reading 1 ohm on your meter here - the number 200 or 2000 ohms is an "up to" figure. If it was on the 20 scale, it would still read 1 ohm but would be more accurate and likely add a decimal & another number. Does this make sense? In other words, if the spec was around 300 ohms, you'd use the 2000 setting to get a proper reading. Really low resistance is difficult to read and usually only is accurate with a digital meter. Hope this helps.

Ok, so as I said, my rides been pull start for a while which makes some stuff harder to check but, finally got some spare time to get back to it and decided to take the recoil starter cover off and hook up a drill with a 14mm socket and pulled my spark plug so I could crank it over while testing stuff. 

Here's  what I found out... pulse coil isn't sending a signal to the CDI. Tested the stator and it's putting out 14.89-15.74 each wire ac volts. Ohmed the pickup at 0.43 set on 20k.

So at 10k would that be 215? Or 430?

They're both new from caltric and you can't adjust the air gap it's a set it and go part. Could the magnet on the stator that fires the pulse coil be bad but the stator still produce power? I'm assuming they can since that's a totally different magnet from the field magnet

That does. It mean it’s not sending a signal.  If it ohms within spec it’s most likely ok. 
have you tested your secondary ignition coils as well as the regulator ?

Yep new regulator and coil will fire all day on my buddies 300. Put it on last time I was working on it and let it run for 45 minutes or so to see if when the coil got hot it would mess up, it didn't. Ran fine.

Ok well so I guess it’s a new pick up coil but I don’t think you can get them separately? 
If that’s the case then maybe order a whole new set up stator and all. I’ve been lucky with caltrec so far so maybe you got a defective one ?  
So if your sure that everything else tested ok including the cdi which you can only test by putting on another bike and it’s good then you have to go with your gut on this.   

I've tested and retested everything from the wiring harness (3 times, OMG what a time consuming pain), put every part except stator and pulse coil on my buddies running 300 so it's either Gremlins or the pick-up coil. Almost worth the oil and gaskets to try that.So can a stator be putting out power yet not activate the pick-up coil? Is that possible? If it's wierd it'll happen to me, true story.

Edited by Jeff Comstock
Added text

Sure it’s possible, one generates power the other sends a signal to the cdi. Two different parts. I’ve seen pick up coils work until they heat up and then fail.  

No what meant was could the magnet on the stator that actually trips the pick-up coil be bad and yet the stator still generate power? I've heard the magnets can get weak if overheated or hit with something?

I don’t think so. I’ve seen magnets come off that’s about it.   When you have the tester on ohms/continuity and connected to the pick up coil wires did you spin the flywheel slowly past the magnet and see what he tester does ? 

Sorry took so long to get back, between work and hunting for deer I been tied up. So on 20 volts my meter gets wild swings, from 0.00 to 0.06. if i turn it back instead of going all the way around again i get minus 0.01 then when I go past the pick up I get -0.03.  Thinking that's not normal, only got 0.05 at 20 volts once in bout 45 revolutions going slow as molasses by hand

So it could be a bad pick up coil if the numbers aren’t good. But without the flywheel spinning and the magnet not near the pick up coil do you get an ohms reading on the two wires ?