Quantcast

Please help decide :)

Hello. I’m in the market for a new quad. Update from a 400ex. I’m looking at 2 in particular. A 2004 predator Troy lee edition all stock and in really clean shape for 1700. Or a 2008 mxr 450 with the ktm engine. Not as clean but newer. For 2000. 
I’m torn. Any with experience with either of these mind giving me some input?
Thanks in advance. 

DD4C3EDF-9B8D-49CE-9FCC-3FF2C476F371.jpeg

5EE71A10-0E42-46CE-80A1-7EFE28C9EDAA.png

Thank you for the reply :)  I’m 45. I like to ride like I’m 25. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t lol. I live in Massachusetts so not much riding around here. I have a few trails out my back yard but a couple times a year we go to Jericho mountain New Hampshire where there are some pits and a lot of fire road type trails. Of course money is an issue. We have 4 kids. I had a 2008 400ex all stock but wasn’t enough. Then I was thinking getting another that was bored out or buying one and having it bored out and swapping the cam and missing that. But then looked at the price to do that and it’s cheaper to just buy a bigger atv. I was torn between these and a few Raptor’s. 
still winter here so plenty or time, but now is a great time to buy. 
i know you can’t beat the reliability and low maintenance of an air cooled 4 stroke. That makes the 400ex a thought. Man I just made this decision even harder. lol

I  can't be a lot of help  either . .I ride  an  old  1991 Honda Fourtrax 300FW   4x4  quad  with winch added .. I  usually run  tail end  to  the  ones I ride with  because some of them  are   only  2 wheel drive and no winches .. It's no racing machine ,  but  let's face it ,  you  can  kill yourself  just  as easily   at  40-45 Mph tops  as you  can  at  70. I'm  76  and still  ride  like  I'm  25  on it. sometimes it takes me  longer to recover than  it  did  when  I was 25 though.There's not  many  places around  here  you  can  run machines  flat out  so   I've never felt hindered  by the lower top end. That's the main  question to  ask when  choosing  a ride . What  am  I  really going to  be doing with it the  most, and how  much  power and speed do  I really need ? I'm  also  partial to the  Japanese  machines  and A  Kymco (  Korean made)  machine  one of my friends ride  has also been  a great  machine for him.. I'm more a fan  of the  clutch  and gears  machines rather than the CV ones with the  belt  drive ..  Those machines  often  have a problem  with belt  slippage  after  a run  in deeper  water that  can get  in .  They  don't  slip  long once  out of the water  and the slippage quickly  heats the  belt  and clutches to  dry them  out  , but it's there  and can be a real  pain  in a wet and muddy  ride .

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By pitts
      Just joined so I can download a manual and In the process of making my 10 posts.
    • By Brantley11
      Hey everybody,

My proficiency is with Hondas and Yamahas make me see RED!

This bike is my brother in law's, it has 1199 miles on it and went from running great to dead with no start. Every once and a while it will start and sputter for 2 seconds. It is extremely sporadic when it fires but never runs for longer than 3 seconds. 

Here is where we sit:
      Brand New Fully Charged battery
      Carb was cleaned with air hose and carb cleaner then into the ultrasonic cleaner with Aircraft aluminum cleaner
      New Shindy Carb kit (made in Japan version)
      Cleaned out petcock and gas tank
      New 93 Non Ethanol Gas
      New Spark Plug

It gets a spark through the spark test light every time
      Bluish white spark
      When holding the spark plug 1/4" - 3/8" away from head it will jump and spark to the head
      Good Compression

Here are the readings:

Pickup Coil 519 Ohms (range 459-561)
      Charging Coil 266 Ohms (range 270-330)
      Lighting Coil 0.700 (range 0.702-0.858)
      Spark plug Cap 10.58 Ohms (10kohms
      Ignition Coil Primary Coil 0.5 ohms (range 0.18-0.28 ohms)
      Ignition Coil Secondary Coil 8.20 kOhms (range 6.32-9.48 kOhms)

Would y'all think stator and pick up coil, rectifier or CDI are the culprit?

• By newguy024
      Just got into ATV riding just last week, never had much money so i couldnt afford to buy anthing, so now at the age of 34 i just bought a 1987 suzuki quadrunner 300 for 500$ took it out a few times and what a rush of excitement to go through that first mudhole haha!
    • By NZrider
      My king quad 700 runs rough when cold then won't start some times but not often when it's hot. And occasionally smoke's a lot when it's cold I'm guessing that's rings but I'm worried unless it's causing the other problems

All help is appreciated thanks
    • By jatho
      Has anyone else had an issue on older king quads where the oil would leak from the top of the head (due to a failed gasket) and drip onto the hot exhaust? Mine got so hot one time it caught fire. Just wondering if this is a common issue, as I've seen the same thing happen on multiple bikes that were the same model.