Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV or UTV? Join our Forum!

Join QUADCRAZY ATV Forum today for FREE! We keep these forums clean and user friendly. All first posters will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first post is approved, you will no longer need to got through an approval process. To gain immediate approval and a NO ADS experience, consider subsribing to our Premium Membership.

05 king quad 700 maintenance ???

Krazo

Did the new thermostat make any difference how often the fan was kicking on? For what it’s worth, my machine’s fan was running more than often and became hard to start. Long cranking periods and random stalling. I found the fuel injector nearly clogged. This made the mixture lean and the bike ran hot- fan came on more often. A new injector fixed all those problems. Just something to keep in mind as you get to know your machine.

4 hours ago, Cookie said:

Did the new thermostat make any difference how often the fan was kicking on? For what it’s worth, my machine’s fan was running more than often and became hard to start. Long cranking periods and random stalling. I found the fuel injector nearly clogged. This made the mixture lean and the bike ran hot- fan came on more often. A new injector fixed all those problems. Just something to keep in mind as you get to know your machine.

Great point.  Never thought about possibility it could be injector, I've primarily worked on carbureted motors. Was that a difficult install, putting a new one in?  Where did you get it and what brand did you go with?  the suzuki oe part is significantly more than the aftermarket ones i'm seeing.  

Just put the thermostat in today but haven't had a chance to ride it.  I've also got new front cv axles coming in, suppose to be here tomorrow and will put those in soon as I can.  

With cleaning the radiator and replacing thermostat, if that doesn't keep it running cool, I'll look into the possibility of new injector but hoping that's not the issue.

Injector swap was easy. Unbolt the rail, pull the old one out and pop the new one in, reinstall the rail. 10minutes. I put a Kawasaki injector in it, but I’d just go with stock if done over. The Kawasaki p/n is 49033-0011, 60$ or so online. The flow rates are similar but the Kawasaki has 12 atomizing holes, stock is 4. The way I ride, I didn’t notice a big difference in performance but some folks claim it’s very noticeable. No experience with any other injector. You can also remove the injector you have and clean it. There are YouTube videos on that if you want but it gets involved and didn’t work well for me. If you’re machine becomes hard to start or stalls out when you come off idle, the injector is likely nearly clogged.

• Like 1

$60 seems reasonable.  The stock Suzuki part was like $200 on partzilla.  maybe cheaper other places online or at local dealer.  

Today I did start it up and let it idle for a while as I worked in the garage.  no issues what so ever.  it took a while, but the fan eventually kicked on so I would assume it got warm enough for the thermostat to open up and let the antifreeze to flow.  no leaks anywhere. Id like to think the cleaning up the radiator kept it cooler for longer, preventing the fan from kicking on every other min.  I think the fan only came on 2 or 3 times in a matter of 15 min.

my uncle was here this weekend and he suggested I test the thermostat before install.  Not a bad idea, but id never done it before.  I didn't.  But I did put the old one in some near boiling water and didn't notice anything happen, like it opening up.    Anyone ever test a thermostat?  

To test a thermostat  you put it in a pot of water  and  heat it up. Use a cooking  thermometer to  measure the water temperature  that the thermostat opens up at. It should open at the temperature it is marked for ..  In a pressure  system, that would most likely  be near or at  sea level boiling point of 212 Degrees F or 100 C

• Like 1

Front cv axles are in. I plan to start replace these ASAP. However it just hit me, I didn’t get any seals for the differential or the hub. Are there seals I should replace? Anyone got a part number? Also now thinking maybe I should check ball joints while I’m in there.

seals on differential, hub has a sealed bearing.  seals are ordered, nothing ever in stock should be here in 3-5 days.  

Anyone have experience with Caltric atv parts? ordered a set of ball joints from them.  cheap price, just hope their not cheap parts.  looking at front brake parts from them as well.

https://caltric.com/

• 2 weeks later...

ok, finally starting to get some parts in and about ready to finish the front cv axle replacements.  but ive got a question.   - the front diff fluid is 75-90 gear oil.  I also replaced the wheel bearing which is pre-packed with who knows what kind of grease ( id assume some hi-temp wheel bearing grease but ...)  Should I grease both ends of the CV Axle when I install?  ive got some stalube moly-graph EP that I would think should be fine for this in both places.  While I wouldnt just lather up the end of the cv axle, i am somewhat nervous about the grease mixing in with the gear oil and even the other grease in teh wheel bearing.  I'm not gonna buy the suzuki special type of grease.  I'm sure its a basic MP.  but the manual doesnt say anything about greasing the ends of the axle when replacing.  I cant imagine NOT greasing these ends, that just seems like asking for a failure of some kind.  any thoughts?  (really just looking for a "yeah thats what i did and it worked fine")

Yeah I grease the ends of the shafts where the splines are and where the seals run. I'd also put a bit of grease under the nut or washer on the outer end, it'll keep water from getting in and seizing the spllnes into the hub The grease won't worry the oil in the diff, and any MP grease will be fine. .

Good idea to grease the shaft(if it's like the older models and a parallel shaft, not a taper) on the ball joint so it comes out next time too.

All the bolts holding the body work are good to grease when you have them out, and the bolts in the suspension bushes.

7 hours ago, Mech said:

ha..   I'm just the one with the most to say.. It's life in the country and no wife..

He's the  quad mechanic with the most knowledge. The rest of us can  only offer some help  with suggestions from  other limited general mechanical and electrical knowledge.

Yeah that’s where I’m at. Work at a desk for a living but enjoy tinkering with stuff like this for fun. Fortunately my FIL is a retired diesel mechanic who has been a great resource. And it’s always good to find a knowledgeable community like this for more specific help.

They look  good in the ad, and really hard to go wrong with 4  for $17. I had to pay a lot more for ones for my old 1991  Honda 4trax 300FW 4x4 quad.

By the way , I  am a retired Sawmill millwright, who  used to do all  my own  mechanical repairs on my vehicles and toys before everything went electronically controlled and needing specialized gear for some tests and repairs. My electrical  knowledge from  way back  before nearly everything went solid state stems from the studying needed to  get my  HAM  ticket in the days of much of the gear still  using vacuum tubes ..  I'm  clueless  about  all the digital modes and  much of the gear  in use now ... At  78, I'm a dinosaur in the world of electronics now. If it is metal or simply  wiring I  can  handle it , but get into  the electronic controls and I'm at a loss beyond using a VOM checking values of sensors listed in a service manual

Edited by davefrombc

That's very kind of you to say Dave..  I'm not sure it's correct, but thank you.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people in here, as with most subject specific forums. The internet is like tv in the old days, people say it has great potential for good as an educational and connecting tool to unite people. Unfortunately it gets abused and some people use it to spread misinformation, to try to raise disharmony. I appreciate the great opportunity it does offer and like to bring something positive to life and the forums I engage with..

And good work all those people in here that do contribute in a positive way.

And I agree Dave, since the change to digital, and "modes", we are all dinosaurs. Kids now have all been bought up with that concept of modes and multi purpose buttons. They pick up some new device and start button pushing and seem to garner what each press is doing immediately.  Me, I get shown and have to be shown or reminded several times before I can remember what they seem to know instinctively.

Yeah I agree Dave, that is annoying, both for my own convenience and because of the ramifications for the planet.

Things might be changing though, my son bought two new screens for his cheapish samsung phone, a touch screen and the display screen, in a kit with tools to do the job, for $24 bucks the other week. And I see that all the parts are available for them, main board, speakers, aerials, vibrators, cases, batteries.. It's a good sign, but consumerism is what is fueling it, they couldn't afford to sell parts that cheap, if there weren't millions of the phones being sold in the first place. I just try to not consume. I've got an old phone, an old laptop, and I don't have any other electronic or electrical equipment other than the solar power controller which provides lights at night. I drive an old car, live in a very simple wooden house I built myself, don't travel or purchase anything I don't really need.. which are food.. clothes once in a while.. and an occasional bottle of bourbon.. haha.. I cut my firewood down and into pieces with a handsaw, do laundry by hand, do all my own maintenance and work on the property, and live a very simple life.

We can arrange our lives in such a way we don't have to engage in the rat race. I've been doing it since I was twenty-one and managed to buy land, build a workshop, raise a family, serve my community and enjoy my time doing it.

It is, as I see it, all a matter of priorities. People make the superficial, the temporary, the material things, their priority, and in doing so commit themselves to a life trapped in trying to satisfying an endless life of wants.

Rant over.. Back to the bike repairs !