Quantcast

Help on a "yamaha 350" wiring.

Well yall, it's been a while. Work has absolutely annihilated me for the past 5-6 months, and ive had bare minimum time to work on this project. Thank you to those that helped previously during the engine rebuild, but now were on to the task of wiring, and let me tell you besides the plugs on the wiring, I am almost completely lost. Bought an ebay harness, and none of the colors line up to what i have seen on any manuals. Its all the 97-01 electronics i believe. Ill post some pictures below of the mess I'm working with. Emphasis on "mess." A lot of the wires had to be extended since the harness was made for an atv and not a buggy. The colors are a little wonky, but I was using what I had, and they were mostly for just extending the plugs, so the colors match on either end. A buddy of mine has been helping me, and we are just at a loss. Looking for general guidance or any wire specific help you could give us. Not even sure if some of the single wires are plugged in right, and we dont have a "lever switch" wondering if thats just for the brake, because the master cylinder has two screws. I suppose a + and -... We also have what I believe are the reverse and neutral sensors to plug in (the only two sensors on the engine)

P.S. peep the custom airbox i 3d printed to utilize a lawn mower filter and 2x2 coupling from lowes 

If you need better pictures of anything, let me know, It's kind of hard to get pictures of this rats nest.

Wires that are not connected to anything

4th picture black wire

5th picture blue wire w white stripe left/solid blue on right

6th picture what I believe to be the lever switch from pictures I saw on ebay

7th picture is two black wires coming out of the harness. One we have running back to a black with white stripe that comes out of a different place in the harness. The other that had an end to match the single wire coming from the handle bar switch. Single handle bar wire has a white stripe, so I may try to switch those around if the ends permit it.

I know it just looks god awful, but i really do think we are close, and the idea is to figure out whats going where, then figure out how to make it look better, so bear with me haha. Any help is appreciated. Just finished a little go kart for my wife with a predator 212, and gosh do I envy that wiring (there is none😂)

1707167563066339456429900693316.jpg

1707168057364660809374120336527.jpg

17071680775849073267603330913434.jpg

17071681334402278957556511455876.jpg

17071682361796996711781556092151.jpg

17071683331857575680025092540267.jpg

17071684146737971335171852738423.jpg

17071686928451834006192099080780.jpg

17071687197858425744867505476096.jpg

17071687494277427754575965157752.jpg

17071687661262275486989965558575.jpg

17071687954742741078891451949642.jpg

The critical thing is what sort of cdi unit you have. The stator and wiring has to suit that. The battery charging systems hardly vary and are a simple system.

If the cdi unit has a short loom you could show us that and it might be quite simple to suss a wiring diagram. If the cdi unit had a part number it might help. If you have the wiring plug for the cdi with it's original colours it would help. 

If you tell us the colours of the stator wires it might help.

38 minutes ago, Mech said:

The critical thing is what sort of cdi unit you have. The stator and wiring has to suit that. The battery charging systems hardly vary and are a simple system.

If the cdi unit has a short loom you could show us that and it might be quite simple to suss a wiring diagram. If the cdi unit had a part number it might help. If you have the wiring plug for the cdi with it's original colours it would help. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133706447987?fits=Model%3AWarrior+350|Make%3AYamaha&hash=item1f21867c73:g:dXMAAOSwBrRePzzk&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAABIJO7829WyNck4oHlY5ts2h67E4mguYZz2XEsa%2B%2BodH8LZAchm6TAKP0%2B6ZN%2Fzy8UrFCNULPTqaNsvUUGAoDmFalvsLnl4aUEH4eFvWNMluIXt5i0OZpvnHyp8Gz0lWf2Hea1E3igqLLf3knrGC%2BAQ6SSt0rrbcR75P0n%2Bw%2FPVibyXtB%2F5Ms8fHb%2BHuAdGhodoYnEjOw3MDPOImUYhqyMUPkKl06kNpLXs%2B067eDykrer7rpmuP4%2BMdClysKAhGCAw8v6Gs7Nu8oiK53XMpR7p3PEP0w5hvTaBn5spkdwgoGXC7h6hJZuUsqq192LRkHTmrb3cV5nVZQjXRDb1e35LULbzYXtVwoVVX1a0WV%2BMLU1IsVNEiMpjEByYZ34KkfB2g%3D%3D|tkp%3ABFBM6P2pxK9j

This is the one I got. Not this exact listing, but they look the same, and the listing has the exact same title. Give me just a minute, and ill get pics of the cdi plugs and the stator plug.

50 minutes ago, Mech said:

17071876923485573849023981723567.jpg

17071877677631583745406883274269.jpg

1707187786711404975513044377536.jpg

17071877992052962660348020005742.jpg

17071878388877744487100396793566.jpg

The 4th pic is coming off the stator, and last is the rectifier along with a single red i believe.

I can't make out the colours of all those wires on the cdi. I can't make out how many wires there are. Is that a six and an eight pin plug ? And how many wires are fitted into them ?

The three yellows go to the regulator right.. And coming out of the regulator there's a red and a grey looking wire. Is that grey going to a solenoid or is that just an earth point ? I'm pretty sure that should be to an earth and the red to battery positive.

And so you do think your engine is from one of those bikes listed on the cdi ad ?

And are the orange and white wire plug, and the brown and brown with a white strip wire plug, coming out of the stator ?

Im trying to keep up so i will just start at the beginning. You bought a wiring harness but its not the right one, then you bought a CDI , im assuming it plugs into the wiring harness you bought, but is it the right CDI for that harness. Its hard to get a CDI for a harness when you are not sure which harness you have. You seem to have it wired up is anything working. Im still studying the wiring, i wasnt sure what your question was. 

" i wasnt sure what your question was.  "..  Haha..  Ok. I admit it..  Nor do I.

But I'm sure we'll get it sussed in the end.

I think Fisherman just needs a wiring diagram that will do his cdi. I'll look in the years and models that cdi he bought fits, and see if I can find one with his plugs and wires,,  In the morning..

8 hours ago, Gwbarm said:

Im trying to keep up so i will just start at the beginning. You bought a wiring harness but its not the right one, then you bought a CDI , im assuming it plugs into the wiring harness you bought, but is it the right CDI for that harness. Its hard to get a CDI for a harness when you are not sure which harness you have. You seem to have it wired up is anything working. Im still studying the wiring, i wasnt sure what your question was. 

Haha, glad you picked up on that. To be completely truthful, im not even sure I know the exact question I'm looking for an answer to lol. I can only imagine how that sounds😂... 

The listings for the harness and cdi lined up with one another, as far as model and year, but none of the colors do. All the plugs are right, but that only gets us so far. I will take some better pictures today if i get off work before the sun goes down, and ill type out what colors are where on the cdi plugs. My buddy was over yesterday testing some of the wires with a multimeter, but truthfully we have little idea what exactly we're looking for and where, so if i need to test any specific wires to help figure out where something goes just let me know. Im not getting much of anything on it right now. Wondering if there are some safeties we need to bypass too. Turn the ignition over, click the handle bar button that should engage the starter, but theres nothing, I'm not even hearing the magnet in the solenoid move.

The starter circuit and the cdi and the brake and the neutral are all interlinked.

Some models/systems the starter solenoid feed goes through the cdi. but only if it's in neutral or the brake is on.

That may be your problem with the starter.. May be. Not all models/systems go through the cdi, but they still need the neutral or brake on.

When I look up the cdi unit for a kodiak model that after-market cdi is supposed to fit according to the ad, it shows two different part numbers, one for ca and another for 49, which I presume is 49 states. But.. It doesn't say it will fit any warrior, and when I look at the 350 warrior, it uses a different cdi. The yamaha part number they say it replaces, is a kodiak model, the ca, but then they say it fits a warrior, which uses another part number !

There are three different cdi units that cover that model range the ad says their cdi will fit. Different cdi have different pin-outs, plugs, wire colour, and wiring nearly always.

Anyway.. Here's the electrical section out of the kodiak manual.. Check it carefully to see the wire colours  and plug shapes match up. These diagrams should suit the yamaha cdi part number they say that unit replaces.

93-05Kodiak400.pdf

4 hours ago, Mech said:

When I look up the cdi unit for a kodiak model that after-market cdi is supposed to fit according to the ad, it shows two different part numbers, one for ca and another for 49, which I presume is 49 states. But.. It doesn't say it will fit any warrior, and when I look at the 350 warrior, it uses a different cdi. The yamaha part number they say it replaces, is a kodiak model, the ca, but then they say it fits a warrior, which uses another part number !

There are three different cdi units that cover that model range the ad says their cdi will fit. Different cdi have different pin-outs, plugs, wire colour, and wiring nearly always.

Anyway.. Here's the electrical section out of the kodiak manual.. Check it carefully to see the wire colours  and plug shapes match up. These diagrams should suit the yamaha cdi part number they say that unit replaces.

93-05Kodiak400.pdf 1.17 MB · 0 downloads

Thank you for that. Ill check this tonight when I get back with the wife or in the morning before work. Much appreciated. Ill report back

Do they make a kodiak with chain drive ? Does a timberwolf come with chain drive ?  Anyone know what years a kodiak or bigbear or timberwolf come in chain drive ? Can we get an engine number for that engine ?

That electrical section for a kodiak I posted says the cdi has three plugs I just noticed. The kodiak replacement cdi you have only has two plugs, so that's a bit tricky !

I see the timberwolf has trigger and cdi charge wires that are the colours I suspect I'm looking at there. Not sure though because I need confirmation about the stator colours and plugs shapes, and colours if possible. It all helps identify what you engine have. The cdi plug descriptions also.. How many wires being used and what the plugs are like.

Looking in kodiak, bigbear and warrior I can find the right coloured wires, but then the plugs are wrong.. I can find the right plugs(I think), but then the colours are wrong. I can find the right wires but for a shaft drive. 

We need to identify that engine.

9 minutes ago, Gwbarm said:

Interesting, it sounds like the wiring harness was not for a Big Bear, i think they were all shaft drive, or i havent seen one that wasnt.

Was told the engine was off a warrior from the guy I bought the buggy from, but I think he said it was a family member that put it together, and it just sat in a field until I got it. Ive been trying to put warrior parts on it, but I guess I must have screwed that up with the wiring, although all the ebay listings say "warrior" on them. Ill have to compare to that manual posted by Mech in the morning. Thanks for taking part in this adventure lol

8 hours ago, Gwbarm said:

According to the specs, the CDI is only for the Warrior or the Kodiak. Since the Kodiak came only in a 400, the 350 engine must be from a Warrior or a Big Bear. If its chain drive that would be 

10 hours ago, Mech said:

Who ? What happened ? I didn't see nothing...

Yeah, family comes first even if it isn't an emergency.

This is for a bigbear but the plugs and colours look right for the cdi.

1990-Bigbear-350.pdf 73.77 kB · 0 downloads

Oh, nothing that I know of happened. Was referring to the previous owner. His uncle sold it to him with a blown top end, and the kid never got around to it, so it just sat, which is unfortunately what its been doing a lot with me, but work is slowing down right now, so ive got at least an hour or two in the evenings to work on it.

11 minutes ago, Fish0rDie said:

Oh, nothing that I know of happened. Was referring to the previous owner. His uncle sold it to him with a blown top end, and the kid never got around to it, so it just sat, which is unfortunately what its been doing a lot with me, but work is slowing down right now, so ive got at least an hour or two in the evenings to work on it.

Might just be because its chinese. They made it like I extended mine, and just used whatever colors they had lying around lol

20240207_095758.jpg

20240207_100044.jpg

20240207_100050.jpg

So top plug and bottom plug are what plug into the cdi ? 

Well I haven't found a diagram yet of a cdi with a six and eight pin plug..  Some have an eight, six and a four pin plug..

I've got the diagram for a 97YFM350X warrior but it's cdi has pigtails, and round three and four pin plugs.

2002 YFM350 warriors have plugs on the cdi but they are eight and four pin.

Ii seem a bit oddball. The cdi replaces a cdi for the ca market, so it should be common and we should have manuals for it. I'll keep looking.

Edited by Mech

Thanks! The reason i asked, i was looking at your harness to cdi plugs connector, im not that familiar with the warrior, but the plugs look very similar to my big bear 400 wiring, it has the larger plug and the smaller plug. A lot of the others i have seen have both plugs the same size.

The warriors in the years they say it fits all seem to have pigtails and round plugs. Kodiaks have three plugs, bigbears have eight and four pin plugs. I can't find a cdi with eight and six, not in warrior or kodiak of that year range anyway.. But then, I haven't found a manual for any of those exact model suffix that say either.

I've found kodiak manuals in the right year and engine size but they've all been shaft drive. I've found warriors in the years and engine but they've all been pigtail.. I'm wondering if those YFM suffixes were only is some particular market.. Asian or euro perhaps.

Still looking..

Oh yeah. I looked in euro parts and their years seem to be a year or two behind yanky ones, but the warrior's still had pigtail cdi even in the later years.

The big bear seems like the closest we can find. I think that diagram is going to be the one you will have to use. It shows where each stator wire goes in the plug pinout diagram.

I think you should check the resistances of the stator wires and check they seem right for the bigbear cdi system. If they are then hopefully it will all work ok and not blow the cdi... haha.

I'd suggest changing the stator if the resistances weren't right, except that might also need a different flywheel too.. They'd do that !

And to check a different flywheel was right, you'd have to use a magnet and check the polarity of the magnets and the key position.. It would be quite a mission.

6 hours ago, Mech said:

Oh yeah. I looked in euro parts and their years seem to be a year or two behind yanky ones, but the warrior's still had pigtail cdi even in the later years.

The big bear seems like the closest we can find. I think that diagram is going to be the one you will have to use. It shows where each stator wire goes in the plug pinout diagram.

I think you should check the resistances of the stator wires and check they seem right for the bigbear cdi system. If they are then hopefully it will all work ok and not blow the cdi... haha.

I'd suggest changing the stator if the resistances weren't right, except that might also need a different flywheel too.. They'd do that !

And to check a different flywheel was right, you'd have to use a magnet and check the polarity of the magnets and the key position.. It would be quite a mission.

That definitely does sound like a big mission lol. We'll take a look at a big bear manual this weekend and do some more testing before reporting back. Should have gotten on here before ordering parts and made sure they were going to be right😂. Oh well, live and learn. We'll make the best out of whats already here. Much appreciated yall. 

The biggest problem there is, if this is a wiring harness is for the Big Bear 400 there is no aftermarket CDI available, ask me how i know. It is still very doable, you just might have to do what the guy on the video did. The other option is find the right harness for the warrior, from Mechs reasearch, it doesnt sound like you got a harness for a warrior. Study the  warriors harness so you will know what it looks like if you go that route. I dont see how you can figure out how to wire the CDI you bought unless there is a schematic as to how it is wired internally. Mech might have more options right now thats all i can think of.