Quantcast

New 2 the board...EXPERIENCED RIDERS...I need your help

yessir812

Hello all! My name is ZEEK, I'm based out of Atlanta, GA. I am new 2 the ATV world. I use to ride every now and then when I was in my early teens but I haven't at all since then. I'm now 34(man I feel old) and I'm in the hunt for my 1st ATV. I've had my eye on the Yamaha 700 Grizzly FI Auto 4X4 EPS but I have a few questions.

1. Is there a big difference in the 700 Grizzly WITH EPS opposed 2 the 700 that comes without EPS? I spoke to a salesman at one store and he said that a few of the people who ride them don't like the EPS because they don't have as much control as they do with ATV's that don't have EPS.

2. Is the 700 Grizzly FI too much for a new rider like me? I've been told that if I don't get the 700 I'll be mad if I don't because I won't be able 2 keep up with other riders once I figure it all out.

3. How fast do the 700's go?

4. Do they offer classes in Atlanta for new riders?

5. Do you suggest that I get the extended warranty beyond the standard warranty?

6. Are there any extra safety items(nerf bar, etc) I should add to the ATV besides the actual safety gear that I wear myself?

Any other advice you can give a new rider like myself is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!! THANKS

1.)The eps is something i would recommend that option does make the atv a bit more expensive but for long rides its very comfortable and a lot less effort is needed to control ur atv. it also makes turning with the 4x4 locked a lot easier, if u dont drive long distances or dont plan on driving it a lot having no eps is not bad either..

2.)i dont see u not being able to keep up with the other riders if u get a smaller engine size if u dont feel comfortable with the 700 they offer the 550 that is exactly the same size and comes with all the same options it is just a smaller engine, but it also depends on wat u mean by keeping up if by obstacles like mud and trails u will be fine but if u mean racing wise they will have a little advantage with the top end the 700 has a faster acceleration than the 550..

3.)u could probably reach mid 50's at full throttle but im not to sure about that it could be higher.

4.) i cant help u with the classes in atlanta cause i dont live their lol sorry bout that..

5.)an extended warranty is a good thing to have because most warranties last only 6 months and usually once that is up things start to break.it is also good that u check wat the yamaha warranty covers

6.) Safty gear is important a good dot approved helmet and goggles is always great.. gloves boots are great to if u want a chest protector is another safe route but again thats the riders choice.. to the atv itself u could add bumpers a recovery kit is a good thing to have in case u get stuck and a winch

Hello all! My name is ZEEK, I'm based out of Atlanta, GA. I am new 2 the ATV world. I use to ride every now and then when I was in my early teens but I haven't at all since then. I'm now 34(man I feel old) and I'm in the hunt for my 1st ATV. I've had my eye on the Yamaha 700 Grizzly FI Auto 4X4 EPS but I have a few questions.

1. Is there a big difference in the 700 Grizzly WITH EPS opposed 2 the 700 that comes without EPS? I spoke to a salesman at one store and he said that a few of the people who ride them don't like the EPS because they don't have as much control as they do with ATV's that don't have EPS.

2. Is the 700 Grizzly FI too much for a new rider like me? I've been told that if I don't get the 700 I'll be mad if I don't because I won't be able 2 keep up with other riders once I figure it all out.

3. How fast do the 700's go?

4. Do they offer classes in Atlanta for new riders?

5. Do you suggest that I get the extended warranty beyond the standard warranty?

6. Are there any extra safety items(nerf bar, etc) I should add to the ATV besides the actual safety gear that I wear myself?

Any other advice you can give a new rider like myself is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!! THANKS

1. The power steering is a comfort thing that they added. The advantages: you will feel less feed back through the bars, meaning when you hit a rock you won't feel the reaction through the bars as much. Lighter steering and less rider fatigue. The only negative I can see is at high speeds it may turn too easy.

2. I would personally recommend the larger bike IF YOU CAN CONTROL YOUR THROTTLE. That is a lot of machine that can bite you if you panic. But once you gain exp. you will have one of the best machines and the chances of outgrowing it are slim.

3. The 700 can max out in the low 60s...I'm pretty sure, if not high 50s.

4. Here is a link so you can find a class near you. A lot of MFGs will give incentives for taking a class. Honda paid me $100, Polaris gives $100 torwards aftermarket parts, ect.

https://online.svia.org/training/Enroll/EnrollIntro.aspx

5. The Y.E.S. warranty through Yamaha is pretty good, we have it on our Rhino.

6. The 4x4 quads come with running boards and stuff. Maybe a winch or some hand guards.

By the way, welcome to the site!

Edited by Stoopidbot1

Hey everybody, another new guy here. Just got my Grizzly and am loving every minute i am on it!

Zeek, when shopping around for mine, i asked the very same questions and i got some mixed answers but all were helpful.

i setteled on the Grizzly 550 no EPS.

"1. Is there a big difference in the 700 Grizzly WITH EPS opposed 2 the 700 that comes without EPS? I spoke to a salesman at one store and he said that a few of the people who ride them don't like the EPS because they don't have as much control as they do with ATV's that don't have EPS."

what i found is the powersteering isnt like the powersteering in your car. it only helps when you are putting alot of force into it. At slower speeds, in really rough terrain it would be helpfull but, the bike only weighs 650lbs+rider fully loaded, not much really if you think about it. i chose not to get it because for me its just one more thing that can break.

"2. Is the 700 Grizzly FI too much for a new rider like me? I've been told that if I don't get the 700 I'll be mad if I don't because I won't be able 2 keep up with other riders once I figure it all out. "

I was worried about having too much power being a beginner. so i went with the 550. IMO this is all the power you will need. 0-30 in about 15 yrds, and mine tops out at 60! all the low end torque you will need, unless you really get into some ruff stuff. then i think you would be better off with a winch that more power,

"3. How fast do the 700's go?"

cant speak for the 700, but if it goes faster than my 550 (60mph) id be scared of it, lol.

"4. Do they offer classes in Atlanta for new riders?"

cant say...

"5. Do you suggest that I get the extended warranty beyond the standard warranty?"

YES, the extended warranty offered by Yamaha is worth every penny. I was told that it will cover pretty much anything that could go wrong with it, other than a cut tire or if you total it out down a mountain. Had a gentelmen tell me he didnt clean his air filter right and got some dust in the engine, and they coverd it. he said $400 parts + 6rs of labor @ 75-80bucks an hour(my local shop's rate) pretty much covered the cost of the warranty.

"6. Are there any extra safety items(nerf bar, etc) I should add to the ATV besides the actual safety gear that I wear myself?"

i would suggest the frame skid plate and the A-Arm guards, i bottomed out and broke one of the stock plastic a-arm guards on just a little hill not going very fast.

Have fun with it and be carefull, going slow and being dusted for a while is a ton better than being laid up from rolling it over on ya!

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I am brand new here. I would say I am an intermediate plau rider. My WEife and I just picked up 2 new Yamaha Grizzlys after I sold my motorcycle and my Kawasaki Brute Force.

She has the 550 with power steeering and I have the 700 with PS. I think both are good machines and other then a little more juice and top end.I like her 550 as much as my 700. I would not feel underpowered with a 550. Hers just seems to be a great mix of power and ride.It seems a tad smoother then mine. IMO

BTW I weigh 250 pounds and my Grizz( 700) with a tad over 200 miles has been up to 65 miles per hour and I think it will top out at about 68 or so. I had a few more mph but not much road:)

Either one would be good.Both IMO are top machines.

Bill/WI

Welcome to quadcrazy, I see you allready have your mind made up on a Yamaha Grizzly, and that's just fine. If it were me, I'd go for the gusto! Get the 700EFI, you'll grow into it. You have the control on how you ride, and get the power steering as well. With the P/S there is very little bump steer, and alot less fatigue at the end of the day after long rides. You will get use to it in time, you will get use to any 4 wheeler you buy in time. Like I said you have the control, and go for the gusto, Anthony

I haven't made the big trip yet BUT in reference to the power steering, it's night and day. I say that because I let my neighbor ride mine and vice versa. There is a difference for sure. The arms truly get a workout riding a quad WITHOUT EPS. But if I would have never driven a quad without EPS I guess I would never know the difference.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i own an 09 grizzley 700 and would not go with any other atv. the power steering is an absolute must have. esp for tight trails. and as for an extended warranty why not spend a few extra hundred dollars for a warranty cause the day something happens and you dont have the warranty to cover it you will kick yourself for not doin it. protect your investment