Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

1998 Kawasaki Bayou 300 carb leaks

• 2 weeks later...

hey let me start by giving you some background on my problem. i have a 97 bayou 300 4x4 that i am having the same problem with. atv runs perfect, but fuel running out of the overflow hose even with the petcock off. i took off fuel line from petcock and petcock will not shut off. i jacked with petcock for a minute and opted to order a new one. i bought a new petcock from bikebandit.com and replaced it. it cost me about 80 bucks...ridiculous. now my gas will shut off to carb i have had my carb apart at least twice trying to fix the overflow problem. Today i took entire carb apart and inspected needle valve and decided to order a new one...i am almost certain this will fix my problem. it has been very frustrating...i have done extensive research looking for the solution to my problem, which seems to be identical to yours. This is what i've found.

#1 check the drain screw on you carb located directly above the drain/overflow hose. i would suggest backing the screw all the way out and letting a decent amount of gas come out. catch it with some paper towels and pay attention if any trash comes out. There could be a piece of debris not fully allowing the drain screw to fully close. This is probably not your problem as it was not mine. I also replaced the screw since the allen head on my was almost stripped?! It wasnt because of me...previous owner i guess.

#2 You could have a leaking float...it could have a minute hole in it causing it to fill up with gas...This is also probably not your problem as it also was not mine.

#3 float height is not set correctly. I don't believe this is either of our problem since there I am almost certain there is no adjustment on these machines.

#4 Your needle valve and or seat is worn. I am almost certain this is both of our problems. I ordered a new valve from bikebandit.com...didn't shop around...probably should have. It cost 30 bucks...also ridiculous...i heard some people talking about getting aftermarket kits for around 15 bucks...but i personally prefer OEM. I just want this nightmare to be over and i'm tired of jacking with it.

This is the next step i would take if i were you. bite the bullet, order a new one, and change it out. The seat is pressed into the carb and i wouldn't have the slightest idea how to change it out. I wouldn't worry about this too much though because it is probably the rubber on the needle valve that is worn. I did hear some guy talking about using a wooden dowel to polish a seat but i personally am banking on the new needle valve fixing our problem. here is the link to the dowel procedure as well as more background on this specific problem...Reading This May Solve Your Leaking Carburetor Float Needle Valve And Seat Problems - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

I hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Topendcol
      First issue was fuel pump wont start once ignition has been turned on. Replaced the pump as I had one on hand, than noticed no power so replaced the fuel pump relay as that was were i traced the power to. Still nothing so further inspection looks like signal is coming from the PCM (FLR B20) but not switching the the brown wire to the fuel pump. Ive checked the operation of the bank angle sensor and it appears operational. Fuses and wiring all appear OK. The engine stop relay also tests OK. Ive been through the repair manual and diagrams but to no avail. Fully stumped, any tips would be helpful. Thanks
      Col
    • By jashadams
      Hey all back again with my 1989 moto 4 250.
      After putting a new carb on it it's really sputtery, it has new gas and I'm wondering what to tune on the carb to make it idle better. I've attached a video to describe the issue more. The bike is still work in progress but I think the video gets the point across. Thanks!
      Snapchat-1142015191.mp4
    • By p5200
      Hello folks, my machine wound up with I think water in the tank etc. It runs but speeds up and slows back down randomly. When not running I don't see gas dripping  from the drain nipple on bottom of float bowl and drain screw is closed tight. With normal idle speed I see no leaking. When the idle speed increases quite a bit on it's own, gas appears to start slowly dripping from float bowl drain nipple? I'm wondering if the carb is flooding and the gas is actually coming from higher up and just appears, to be coming out of nipple but, is actually running down the sides of the nipple? I put a kit in the factory Mikuni carb last year after sitting for a while and I think the gas in the jug I used had drawn moisture. I plan to pull the carb tomorrow and clean everything out. I was just curious if anyone else thinks it's probably something in the carb and is, acutally a flooding problem? Thanks Folks! 🙂
    • By ResQ91
      Hi Guys!

New member and could really use your advice. I would have to believe this has been an issue for others but a search here came up with nothing......? (Probably me not doing search correctly)

I have an 87 Big Bear 350 YFM350FWT
      The OEM Mikuni BTM carb is shot and would rather replace than rebuild.
      It is no longer made and I have had good luck with NICHE carbs so I ordered a #K-CRB-0006 This was what they said was replacement when ordered. This Carb only uses 1 Throttle cable. The Slide is linked so it uses one. (OEM had 2nd cable coming through top to move slide)

Problem is when I ordered a replacement Cable from NICHE (#C-CBL-0061) the Cable wire is a little short, not allowing Throttle to return all the way down to Idle position. I called NICHE and they are at a loss. Haven't gotten back to me after 2+ weeks.

What would you recommend other than a carb rebuild?
      Can I just use 1 of the OEM cables (It is the right length) and snip/disconnect the other that went to top of Carb for Slide?
      Or ??

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!!

Dave
    • By dvs1961
      Just bought a new hisun ,been shopping for a year or more for a sxs   best bang for the buck...Are there any lift kits out there for a 2022 Hisun 750 sector ? links thanks

• Similar Tagged Forum Content