Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

craneman

Polaris Sportsman 500 EFi stalling problem

After riding my quad for a couple of hours it will shut off. After sitting for a short while, it will start again and run for a short while. It seems the fan is not coming on as it should. Has anyone else experienced this problem with their Polaris? :confused:

I have not experienced this problem because I don't own a Polaris, but if the fan isn't coming on, and the machine is getting too hot, there could be a thermal overload switch that shuts the machine off when it gets too hot. Are there any overheat warning lights on the machine? You could try to wire the fan to a switch so it stays on (temporarily) and see if the machine will keep running then. It could also be a problem with one of the secondary ignition components; stator, cdi, coil, regulator/rectifier. Sometimes these parts will begin to malfunction as they get warm.

Is it overheating? Is that why you feel the fan is not coming on when it should?

It may very well be your fuel pump, shutting off after getting hot. Whe you run into an issue where it will not run, start testing circuits to see what system is off...fuel or ignition. If it is overheating, I belive it does have a cooolant temp sensor on that machine that could be your issue.

craneman, any update on your issue? What year is your machine?

After riding my quad for a couple of hours it will shut off. After sitting for a short while, it will start again and run for a short while. It seems the fan is not coming on as it should. Has anyone else experienced this problem with their Polaris? :confused:

I have a 2006 Polaris sportsman 500 efi. I had a problem with my bike getting alittle hot. I found it to be the radiator. there was dirt in the fins from the bottom to the middle of it. Clean the dirt out with a garden hose very gently as the fins will bend easy. underneath the gas tank on the left side you'll see a plug, pull it out while running and see if the fan comes on. if it does your fan is fine. Check this first to see what happens.

this happened to me on my popo 450, but i had abit of water in my gas...maybe you should check yours and check your plugs to see if their the right color.