Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

Polaris Sportsman 500 EFi stalling problem

craneman

I have not experienced this problem because I don't own a Polaris, but if the fan isn't coming on, and the machine is getting too hot, there could be a thermal overload switch that shuts the machine off when it gets too hot. Are there any overheat warning lights on the machine? You could try to wire the fan to a switch so it stays on (temporarily) and see if the machine will keep running then. It could also be a problem with one of the secondary ignition components; stator, cdi, coil, regulator/rectifier. Sometimes these parts will begin to malfunction as they get warm.

Is it overheating? Is that why you feel the fan is not coming on when it should?

It may very well be your fuel pump, shutting off after getting hot. Whe you run into an issue where it will not run, start testing circuits to see what system is off...fuel or ignition. If it is overheating, I belive it does have a cooolant temp sensor on that machine that could be your issue.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
After riding my quad for a couple of hours it will shut off. After sitting for a short while, it will start again and run for a short while. It seems the fan is not coming on as it should. Has anyone else experienced this problem with their Polaris? :confused:

I have a 2006 Polaris sportsman 500 efi. I had a problem with my bike getting alittle hot. I found it to be the radiator. there was dirt in the fins from the bottom to the middle of it. Clean the dirt out with a garden hose very gently as the fins will bend easy. underneath the gas tank on the left side you'll see a plug, pull it out while running and see if the fan comes on. if it does your fan is fine. Check this first to see what happens.

• 1 month later...