Quantcast

1998 Artic Cat 250 2x4 died on me

i have a 1998 artic cat 250cc 2x4 and i was driving it and i flew through a puddle and it shutdown i got it to turn over but it was struggling even though it had a fully charged battery i waited a few seconds and tried again and it started right up i realized something was wrong so i went as fast as i could trying to get as close back to the garage as possible because i was afraid if it stalled again it would not start i was approximately 3-5 miles through rough curving bumpy trail i was driving fast i got probably about 1/4 mile before it stalled and the fourwheeler just locked up and skidded i tried starting it again same thing after it first staled i repeatedly tried but nothing would happen i pushed it a ways then tried it again but the starter was spinning nothing was grinding or anything but the engine clearly was turning of the engine right i pushed it a ways got anothing fourwheeler and at one point in towing it swayed out to the side hit a tree and rolled no damage i got it back to my garage. its been two days since then i tried starting it still did nothing so i tried the pull start no compression what so ever i took out the spark plug and put it back in and it felt the same pulling it wether the plug was in or out. it isnt even hard to pull if the decompression switch isnt flipped. my dad just put 2,000 into it getting the electronics replaced so i am hoping to get this fixed without him having to pay more for my mistakes this also isnt even the first time i have got soaked riding it

Edited by robert

Moved you into your own thread. Are you sure it is a 1998? I think '99 was the first year for the 250. I could be wrong though.

No compression means you need to start by tearing into the motor. If it is a problem with the compression release system, or a broken timing chain, you will find the issue under the valve cover. If you have a stuck or bent valve, you may be able to detect the problem from under the valve cover, but you will want to remove the head to confirm. It will be necessary to fix it anyway. After the head is removed, you will be able to inspect the valves, guides, seats, piston, cylinder bore, any of these things or a combination of, could be your problem. One thing I am quite sure of, is that an electronic problem will not cause you to lose compression. My best guess is that you sucked too much cool water into the intake and bent a valve.

Edited by DirtDemon

First do a compression test to confirm that you have not compression. If there is none, or there is very little, you will need to start getting into the motor. Like I said, bad electronics won't cause a loss of compression. The only othere scenario I could think of is that maybe you a sheared off a woodruff key somewhere and the engine isn't turning over at all. How is it that you are sure the motor is actually turning over. Either way start with a compression test.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By mehim
      Hi everyone. 
      Let me explain the thread title. 
      My husband and I are very active in the nudist community, and we have stayed at many and most of the mainstream nudist and clothing optional campgrounds in the USA. We are now approaching our retirement and would like to start a podcast to share those off the road / backwoods / little known camping areas where nudity is allowed. We have purchased a 5th wheel camping trailer with a rear garage for the ATV and now need some good reports on the one to buy. 
      We are most interested in a side by side unit but would love to get your thoughts. 
      Feel free to stop by and say Hi and ask anything you would like to better understand what we are looking for in an offroad unit. 
      Thanks for reading and hope to hear from you. 

• By Its-always-something
      Have a 1998 AC 300 2x4, Just installed a new carburetor. Engine starts easy but the choke RPMs are very hi and take along time (5-10 mins when cold out). After engine has warmed up choke releases and it idles and runs fine., It does no have an electric choke. The choke lever is never used and it seems like an auto choke? Long story short, how can I lower the choke rpm levels?

Also, carb came with a spare145 jet, not 100% sure what is installed. Could this impact choke RPMs?

Any help and information greatly appreciated.
    • By DarkRider
      This is something I'm extremely curious about. Has anyone ever attempted to buy a quad (or any other vehicle) from an impound lot? I've always wondered if this could be a bargain, or a waste of time. Google searches do turn up some helpful results. Looks like the state of NJ holds auctions online which I'd be a bit hesitant about.

My online searches haven't really turned up any results of anyone buying an ATV this way. I'd be really curious if anyone tried this, or knows someone who has. I've actually found a couple pages with online auctions for my state, but none had ATVs.
    • By alexwv1863
      I have a 2016 Arctic Cat 500 and recently noticed some oil leaking on the engine block to the right of the oil filter. It's near two metal lines going in and out of the engine block. I think one of the lines is called an engine oil line. I have a photo I'm going to try and attach. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to start tearing into the engine if I don't have to. I think maybe a gasket or something blew around one of these lines. The ATV runs fine otherwise. Doesn't overheat or anything.

• By dhallftworth
      Hi everyone, I received a 98 Yamaha Timberwolf from my brother for free, and I'm working on getting it going. 
      I am having the following problem: 
      The engine is backfiring through the carb. 
      I have done the following to try and get the four wheeler running: 
      Rebuilt the carb and set the air screw to 1-1/4 turn out and the circlip at middle position 3
      Replaced the coil, because the cable was loose at the coil end
      Repaired the main ground, coming from the battery
      Replaced the ignition switch, because my brother couldn't find the key. New switch tested good
      Tested the kill switch and it tested good
      New coil tested goodfor both primary and secondary coils
      Pickup coil resistance is at 195, which is correct
      My source coil, is where I believe the issue is. The resistance is 310ohms, and it should be between 428-523ohms
      When I opened the stator housing, there was significant oil, which I have read is normal. Does it sound like I'm on the right track replacing the source coil? Could this be causing my backfiring issue? It looks like the source coil is part of the stator assembly, is this correct? 4BD-85510-20-00 STATOR ASSY