Quantcast

Dying Problem - 09 700 H1 - Please Help!

AC400TX

My 09 700 H1 keeps dying on me, and I thought I'd check to see if you guys have any suggestions on what might be causing it. This is long...sorry.

It had been sitting for a month or two when I decided to ride it around the neighborhood the other day just to run it.

Day 1

When I was pulling back into the garage, it died and wouldn't start back. My first thought was the battery, so I put it on the charger.

It was pretty low (around 30% I think), so I let it charge and tried to ride it again a couple of days later. It charged to 100% per my Schumacher digital charger, but a little bit of acid bubbled out of the top while charging.

Day 2

While I was letting it warm up at idle, it died several times after only running a few seconds each time.

When I started backing out of the garage, it died a few more times as soon as I gave it throttle.

Once I got it out of the garage, it died a few more times while giving it throttle in H.

I rode for a few minutes at low speed with my son in the backyard, and it died a few more times when I would stop.

At this point, I'm thinking bad gas instead of bad battery.

Day 3

The tank was pretty low, the gas had been sitting in it a month or two, and I don't think I had and stabilizer in it, so I filled it up with fresh gas and some Seafoam the next day to try again.

After a few more dies at idle while warming up, backing out, etc. I finally got it running long enough to ride around the neighborhood.

It hesitated or sputtered a couple of times while giving it throttle at 30-40 MPH, but seemed to be running a little better after a while.

Day 4

Today, after a couple of quick dies at idle, it seemed to be idling and running better.

I took it out to our land to see how it was running, and it was doing fine for a while.

After about 15 minutes of low speed riding, it hesitated or sputtered a couple of times, then died on me when I stopped.

It took a few minutes to get it started again, died a few times while giving throttle, then I kept riding for another 15 minutes or so.

Then it died, and wouldn't start again. I ended up having to push it around and winch it back up on the trailer.

Does anybody have any idea what might be causing this dying problem?

Does it sound like bad gas that I just need to run through it, or something else?

It's only got 369 miles on it, has run just fine up until now, and never sucked up any water.

I did the break-in oil change at 100 miles and another oil change/air filter service at 300 miles.

Thanks in advance for any info/suggestions...

Edited by AC400TX

Is it still under warranty? Sounds ike my new lawnmower that I'm having problems with...lol.. I'd lean towards the gas first, then check the plug(s). Is it FI? If it is, it could be as simple as a relay or more complex like an injector, regulator,..etc.

Yes, it's EFI and under warranty, but don't want to take it in unless I have to.

Drain the gas, unhook the fuel line so fuel will run freely out of the tank, then pour some fuel through the tank and out the line to try and rinse some of the bad crap out. When you are done, look inside the tank with a flash light to see if you can see any residue in the tank before you fill it up with fresh gas. Go ahead an add a little Seafoam again, but don't use too much, keep in mind this stuff is formulated to be used 1oz per gallon of fuel. Run the machine around for a bit, if you still have problems take it to the dealer and let them deal with it. It may just be a bad battery, but I would still let them worry about it. The reason I would try rinsing the tank and trying fresh fuel, is that if they determine that to be the problem, they will probably want to charge you for your time because the owner letting his gas go bad is probably not covered under the warranty agreement.

The reason I would try rinsing the tank and trying fresh fuel, is that if they determine that to be the problem, they will probably want to charge you for your time because the owner letting his gas go bad is probably not covered under the warranty agreement.

DD makes an excellent point, they will try to chare you if they can.

your gas has a shelf life of 1 year befor an engine will run bad from it. bad fuel will also cause a bad backfire or a miss and hesitation. if it stalls as if someone shut it off it could be a loose ground or bad connection to an ignition as well. i would reccomend taking it in for warranty. if you do to much to it they could charge you for the work and void your warranty. this is a very fine line to wallk.

your gas has a shelf life of 1 year befor an engine will run bad from it. bad fuel will also cause a bad backfire or a miss and hesitation. if it stalls as if someone shut it off it could be a loose ground or bad connection to an ignition as well. i would reccomend taking it in for warranty. if you do to much to it they could charge you for the work and void your warranty. this is a very fine line to wallk.

agreed, When you do take it in, I wouldnt even mention that you seafoamed.

Did you try a new battery? I know you charged it, but my old quad would always die when I would get off the gas because the battery was shot from dying and then being charged a couple times.