Quantcast

2006 Arctic Cat 500 stalling problem

swaldow

Up until a few months ago my 2006 500 has been running great. My son was riding it in the yard one day and I noticed that when he'd let off the gas it would backfire a little bit but I didn't think anything of it. This last weekend I took it up north deer hunting, before leaving I stopped at the gas station and filled it up. The first time I had a problem with it I was driving down the road at full throttle and completely let off the gas, the engine reacted as though I had turned it off, it came to a complete stop and backfired that sounded like a gun shot. It started right back up again and again I went full throttle down the road, the same thing happened. I took out the spark plug and it looked fine, unfortunately I couldn't find a store that had a replacement plug. After I put the plug back in it seemed to behave a little better but it still acts like it wants to die and backfires a little bit. I found that if I feather back the throttle instead of just letting it go it doesn't act up quite so much but obviously something is wrong. Could this be a bad plug? I'm not sure if this is related but the battery is still the original and depending on how often I ride it needs to be recharged every once and a while. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Clydaho
      2022 Sector 550, 414 miles on it and the gas gauge reads empty.  I topped off the gas and it didn't change.
      There is no fuse that I could find.  No access at the gauge cluster.
      Wiring on the top of the tank looks good, properly connected.
      Could the sending unit in the tank be stuck or broken?
      Has anybody removed the tank lid?  Any tricks?  
      Any other ideas?
      Thanks for any help,
      Clyde
    • By ethie
      Hi All
      I have a 2012 Coleman 500 Outfitter that keeps fouling out the plug within 10-15 minutes 
      not sure where to start
    • By rgeiser
      View File 2003 Polaris Ranger 400-500 service manual
      2003 Polaris Ranger 400-500 service manual
      Submitter rgeiser Submitted 04/18/2024 Category Polaris UTV  
    • By Admin
      View File 2006-2011 Honda Rincon TRX 680 FA/FGA service manual
      2006-2011 Honda Rincon TRX 680 FA/FGA service manual
      Submitter Admin Submitted 04/09/2024 Category Honda ATV  
    • By alexwv1863
      I have a 2016 Arctic Cat 500 and recently noticed some oil leaking on the engine block to the right of the oil filter. It's near two metal lines going in and out of the engine block. I think one of the lines is called an engine oil line. I have a photo I'm going to try and attach. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to start tearing into the engine if I don't have to. I think maybe a gasket or something blew around one of these lines. The ATV runs fine otherwise. Doesn't overheat or anything.