Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

2006 Sportsman 450 crapping out

Peteg

My 06 Sportsman is crapping out (like starving for fuel) on moderate to long uphill pulls in high range when over half throttle. If you back off and feed the throttle slowly it will run correctly for a while then start again. I've replaced the spark plug, air cleaner is clean, carburator has been removed and all jets and air passages have been cleaned. The float is parallel with the float bowel surface when held upside down, and I've done the clear line in the bottom drain fitting with the engine running and the fuel level is at the top of the float bowel this is the only thing I'm not sure of, is this correct? New fuel pump, no vacuum leaks that I can detect, fuel filter has been replaced, the ECU was replaced under recall just before I started riding it. If I run it on the flat and load the engine with the brakes it doesn't crap out just keeps pulling. If I'm in low range it doesn't do it.

I'm out of idea any new ones out there?

Sorry for the long ramble but tried to give as much info as I have.

Thanks, Pete

Ok had no way of checking coils so decided to ride again, worked good when cool in the AM but the longer I rode & the warmer the outside temp got the more it crapped out, decided to let the local Polaris dealership get their pound of flesh & diagnose it, it's acting more electronic than fuel related. Will let you know what they found.

No pulls fine in low range only had it burble one beat one time on a really steep pull. Dealer can't duplicate problem so they just gave up like nothing was wrong PMO guess I'll go pick it up and find a OEM manual & fix it myself like I should have in the first place. Will keep you informed but keep those ideas coming

Coil resistance spec is 10,500 ohms mine reads 11,970 cold and increases when heated with hair dryer anyone know if this is far enough out of range to be breaking down underload?

Also heated up engine as hot as possible by stalling, fan on almost constant and float bowl is cold so I don't think fuel is boiling, but good thought thanks

if it works fine in low range and does it in high range then it should not be the coil. a coil will get hot then shut the power completely off. they r either on or off. Here is a thought, try holding in the override button when climbing in high range. i think it my be cutting power.

let me know.

The override button makes no difference, Id like clarify here it doesn't need to be a hard pull just an up hill grade like 4-6 percent will make it act up sometime even less. Just keeps getting worst the longer I ride it thats why I think its heat related. Keep the ideas coming I appreciate everyones help.

My 06 Sportsman is crapping out (like starving for fuel) on moderate to long uphill pulls in high range when over half throttle. If you back off and feed the throttle slowly it will run correctly for a while then start again. I've replaced the spark plug, air cleaner is clean, carburator has been removed and all jets and air passages have been cleaned. The float is parallel with the float bowel surface when held upside down, and I've done the clear line in the bottom drain fitting with the engine running and the fuel level is at the top of the float bowel this is the only thing I'm not sure of, is this correct? New fuel pump, no vacuum leaks that I can detect, fuel filter has been replaced, the ECU was replaced under recall just before I started riding it. If I run it on the flat and load the engine with the brakes it doesn't crap out just keeps pulling. If I'm in low range it doesn't do it.

I'm out of idea any new ones out there?

Sorry for the long ramble but tried to give as much info as I have.

Thanks, Pete

That made me laugh a little:laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

Check your clutches! Sounds like there sticking. I had the same problem with my bike. Dry steep hill in high gear the bike would cough and sputter but if I put it in low gear there was no problem. If the clutches are not shifting properly it would be like trying to clime a hill in third gear of stick shift car. The bikes power will die off, so you give it more throttle to compensate for the loss and you will then have a bit of black smoke come out the tailpipe and a strong smell of gas from the rich mixture. This will lead you to belive it's a fuel or carb issue when infact it's a clutch issue.

Just got back from a 30 mile ride and it didn't miss a beat even when riding in high range where I should be using low. What did I do???? The only thing that might have helped was removed coil and wire to spark plug, unscrewed both ends of the high voltage (spark plug) wire and cut off 1/4-3/8" from each end and screw it back together real tight.(make sure you get the wire centered on the screw in there) The other things were made sure any igniton and ECU wiring wern't close to any high voltage sources. Pull all connectors and put a small dab of dielectric grease in each one. Hope this helps yours dlcr. Thanks PolarisRichI'll keep the clutch info in mind if it starts to screw up again. Are there any points that require lube or is the sticking usually caused bu wear?

I would like to thank everyone for their input on this problem.