Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

irishdude

how to tell if my fuel mix is to rich or lean

hi everyone im new to the forum,

i got a chinese quad 4 months ago and before you start saying thats what you get for not getting a branded quad i got it for €100.

my quad occasionally back fires when i take off and if i leave it to idel it eventually sputters and dies..

any help is much appreciated.

p.s. i have the ability to work with it mechanically but i dont have any special tools :biggrin:

Welcome to QUADCRAZY! Sounds like the carb needs a good cleaning or rebuild. Too rich and you'll see black smoke.

The easiest way is to pull the plugs. Black = rich / white = lean and a light tan = just right.

A black dry fluffy colored plug is caused by deposits from a carburetor that is running too rich (too much gas), or excessive idling on some engines. Black smoke coming from the exhaust is a sign of a rich air/fuel mixture. The rich air/fuel mixture must be repaired before installing a new spark plug. Common causes for a rich air/fuel mixture are:

dirty air filter.

air mixture screw or carburetor needs adjusting.

choke is sticking.

carburetor float height is out of adjustment or float is sticking open.

Yeah, try to keep water away from a foam air cleaner. If you own an air compresor, just blow some air on it to try and clean some of the gunk off of it. but yeah, i've used water on an air filter before and that was a hugeee mistake

i was playin around with the carb adjusting that half washer on the needle changing the position of it and then checking the spark plug but every time the spark plug was black even on the leanest setting. on the middle notch it was ideling ok but now on the leanest notch she is dieing after ideling for a bit even tho the spark plug is turned black.

im confused!!! :aargh:

Yeah I try not to play around with my carb. I did that once and had to order a whole new one. Just try to adjust the choke? That could be your problem, I know the choke on my quads sticks sometimes.

Okay then, I wouldn't touch the carb on those chinese quads though. It's impossible to find parts that you can replace

if you r running rich it will actually make your plug foul and wet. the perfect colour of a plug is a dark tan colour. if it idles and shuts off and also backfires when you give it gas it is running to lean. a rich mixture will not cause a backfire. it will ccause it to bog. turn then air fuel mixture screw all of the way in gently then turn it out approx 3/4's to a full turn. then start the quad. leave it in nutral and rev then throttle the engine up and down while fine tuning the mixture. adjust it until the bog is gone then turn it back an 1/16th of a turn. that should be set pretty accurate. if you have any other questions feel free to drop all of us another line.

your friendly neighbourhood mechanic.

I'm not so sure that some chinese quads have the afr screw. I know my old one didn't. Do you know what brand the atv is?

i have no idea what brand it is unfortunately and i think it DID have a adjusting screw and was very very poorly done, when i was riding it fell out so there was a hole where it used to be and i had to fill it with gasket sealant... it fixed the problem. i cleaned the spark plug and ran it and it was black and it was still back firing when decelerating... :confused:

Adjusting the air/fuel mix at idle is done with the pilot screw, it is usually found on the bottom of the carb just forward of the float bowl. You can get stuff for cleaning your filter at a dealer, just spray it on, let it soak, and rinse it off. Yes it is perfectly ok to use water on your filter, just make sure you let it sit and dry naturally for a day or so, or until it is completely dry. Some people use diesel fuel to clean foam filters.

You have to check the carb in three diffrent positions. The needle controls about 1/4 to 1/2. The pilot jet and starter jet control up to 1/4 and the main controls 1/2+ To check the pilot check a new clean plug but accelerating only to about 1/4 throttle. The you need a new plug to check the main. Talke it up to full throttle then put it in neutal and coast to a stop while cutting the engine. This keeps the needle and pilot from fouling the plug. I suck at jetting but once you have enough experience it is almost second nature.

What is your temp and elevation?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Daniel Gibson
      Working on a bayou 220 that has been ran extremely hard it's whole life. Literally had almost an inch thick dirt/oil covering the motor. Yeah that bad. Surprisingly it runs though. I cleaned the carb and tank multiple times. They're clean enough to eat off of. Readjusted valve lash and set timing. Was about 3 teeth off. It cranks good and runs good only problem is I have to cover the carb intake basically choking the hell out of it for it to start. The com choke works fine. It does this each time I start it regardless of temperature both ambient or motor. Wth? Compression is at 115psi I get 130s if I put a little oil in the piston chamber. Please help. Thanks 
    • By Dra O
      posted a while back - it was running at one point - I have all the plastic shroud off - it's down to frame and engine now
      -fuel pump: when line from petcock is attached, no fuel comes out other side to carb; the line to the carb is open (can blow through it); I thought when I cranked engine that the pump would spit out fuel on other side but it does not; I removed fuel pump and opened it up - diaphragm looks good - but internal areas had lotsa calcification build up - I cleaned this out and dried it good - the clear plastic pieces (?diaphragms) aren't broken - the spring w/ steel ball on end moves freely; am putting it back on tomorrow; but can anyone answer about the pump? isn't it supposed to pump fuel through it... to other side... to carb? puzzling
      -along with fuel pump: I replaced petcock 3 weeks ago (gas tank had rusty fuel in bottom - cleaned it out prior to new petcock); when I turn petcock arrow NOT to on or reserve, fuel comes out of line; when I turn it to on or reserve, fuel doesn't come out; puzzling
      -I don't know what's on back of fuel pump - it's a valve that has a hose coming out of it - looks like it goes to engine/carb - I haven't traced this out yet - what is it?
      -can squirt gas on air filter and engine will run for 2-3 seconds then stop - fuel in top of carb (under diaphragm) does same
      -it likely needs carb rebuild - will get to this - but something isn't allowing fuel to get from fuel pump to carb
      -I THINK it has a mikuni model x carb - diaphragm is ID 26mm  OD 68mm - hard to find inexpensive diaphragm, I guess because it's a model x
      -last thing - I replaced solenoid due to old one clicking; I HAVE to be charging the battery or it won't start/turn over - battery just goes dead; but if charging, it'll turn over nicely; i'm guessing it's a bad battery
      -any help appreciated - I've never owned an ATV before - inherited this beast from grandparent in-law
    • By Mike Johnson
      Does anyone know what the 3rd item is behind the battery on this ATV ? I know 1 is the,  solenoid1 is the CDI box, what is the 3rd.
    • By JC4x4
      My Honda Fourtrax won't start. The starter is kicking the engine over, but it won't start. It sat for about a year while I was living away, so I thought it might have been bad gas. I completely drained the fuel, flushed the fuel lines and filled it with fresh gas. However, still nothing. It started and ran fine the last time I used it. Any suggestions on how to diagnose this? It could be fuel or electrical at this point. Is there an easy way to rule one or the other out? Thanks
    • By pcumby
      Hi guys I'm in the market for a new ATV.  I narrowed my choices down to King quad 750 Grizzly 700 and Rubicon 520,  I own a 2006 500 Rubicon right now and I like the reliability and power for plowing.  However it is not a capable ATV.  When quading with other guys it falls short with ride quality and ground clearance.   I also have a 500 King Quad 2015 which I like and will keep it for my wife.  It is very strong and reliable also.  However my plan is to sell my Honda Rubicon and replace it with a 2020 of one of the these mentioned above.  Can anyone give me their take on one or all of these machines and why you picked what you picked?
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Hayden Pahnke
      Bought brand new petcock and carbetator, turned air fuel needle out 2 turns and machine still acts like its starving 4 fuel on top end. Any ideas?
    • By Brad Leeson
      What's going on party people? First, thank you for allowing me the opportunity to be here. I recently purchased a 2005 yrs 450 and have yet to run the bike at full throttle. The bike fires up, idles, seems like everything runs fine except a little popping when you let off the throttle or until you hit 5th gear. It runs strong; no bogging or sluggishness until you hit 4th gear and open it up. Then it begins to act like it's out of gas or the about to be out. I can pull over and sit for 5-10 min and it runs strong again until you open the throttle. I have the carb off the bike to clean and wrote down a list of factory and what I found installed. I also listed other key factors and hope someone can help and explain. I'm new to the scene and have no prior mechanical experience but my theory is worst case scenario I have to take it to the shop anyway so why not learn. I actually enjoy it. Lol. Thanks a million. Hope to get back on the trails soon. 

• By Paul Maple
      I have a 1999 Sportsman  500, it was running fine, than started to lose power in the winter, I adjusted the idle screw and away I went, than a few weeks ago it died, I have found that i am flooding the engine, compression was at 70PSI and due to the compression release mech. i assume i am good as it compared to the same PSI on a 2000 sportsman 500 i have. i cannot start the atv unless i go full throttle and it starts an runs for about 30 sec than dies, again it is flooded. i ordered a new carb off ebay as i could get one for around $40. put that in same issue, i have checked the timing, (good), valves out of adjustment i adjusted to .006 still same issue, i have found the exhaust lobe and rocker arm to have some wear, i have ordered new ones, but am looking for any other input in this area as well. would the exhaust cam and rocker arm cause the engine to flood? i have used a bore scope and the piston liner has good cross hatching still? any input would be great.
    • By Resurgence Small Engine Inc.
      This past spring, Jonathan worked on a 1991 QuadRunner 250 that came with the fuel pump removed. We didn't find good information about connecting it online, so we made a video.
      Below is the link to watch Jonathan describe the connections on the Suzuki fuel pump. This applies to both the Quadrunner and King Quad ATV models.

Hope you find it informative!
      Resurgence Small Engine Inc.
    • By jnahnet
      Fuel line hose has a pinprick hole. And tips, suggestions or warnings about how to change it out would be appreciated.