Quantcast

1999 Sportsman 500 4x4....Rebuild

Hello, I am new to this forum and I was recently given a 1999 Sportsman 500. It has been sitting out in the weather for approx. 2-3 years I guess. I do not know much about Polaris 4 wheelers and would like a little help as to what people think should be checked, rebuilt, or refilled. The previous owner said that it was running fine when it was left out by his brother. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I am mechanically inclined and will be doing most repairs on my own. However, if something is too technical, I have a friend that is an ATV mechanic and he could help out as well.

Thanks,

NB16

Thanks for the help. I will start there and see where it gets me. A friend of mine recommended rebuilding the carb since it has been sitting for a while. What are your thoughts on that?

I would take it off and check it out. At least give it a good clean up.

• 4 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Spritee1
      having an issue with the unit when running under a load up a hill or in high gear, seems like the belt is slipping, there is a clapping sound coming from the primary clutch like it releases and snaps back in. i don't think I should have a noise like that. this is a friends unit and he has already replaced the primary twice with the same result.
      not sure where to look next
    • By Slitzer
      Hi,
      Got a Big Boss produced 2016 YM 2017 that gives DTC 520 285 2 (random)
      What I understand is correlation code for brakesensors, very little information in workshop manual.
      Removed front plastic to discover that no connector was mounted on the brake pressure switch!?
      The only "brake" information seems to come from the micro switch at the brake lever.
      Does anyone know if Polaris does anything special on the 6x6 or had this issue?
    • By hardcastle
      My friends KQ 300 starts fine and runs, as soon as you put it in gear and try to accelerate its bucks and farts like crazy, not moving... I cleaned carb and it worked good for 1 day... now back to same problem.... could it be such as a bent valve????
    • By Johnfj44
      The stock driver seat cushion is separated at a seam. I took the seat apart and found that the material has torn and cannot be re-stiched. I'm trying to find a replacement seat. Any suggestions? Hoping for a used seat but couldn't find one on Ebay.
    • By Suzukiquad
      If you had to choose one mod that you couldn't live without, or had to recommend one what would it be?