Quantcast

Here is a loaded question

I have a friend looking to buy another quad so he called to get my input on one. He does not care if it's an older quad 80's 90's what ever. Here is the question just like I have been told 2,600 miles is alot on my 02 prairie so when looking at a quad do you walk away due to hours or milage. How do you determine if the milage is to high for the year? I have never thought about it before you don't hear people saying I got 120,000 on my 98 Honda Goldwing Like you hear about cars I've never heard anyone say you can get 60,000 miles out of a Yamaha what is to much. Example I found a Honda trx400ex for 1,200 and looks to be in great shape not sure of the year or hours but lets say it had 300 hours and runs good would 1,200 be to much? The example I used is a quad that is for sell my freind is calling about it today for more info. The seller stated in his ad he bought it for his daughter & it's too fast so they are selling it.

I usually look at overall condition more then hours. Something could have 50 hours on it but it was beat and never maintained during those 50 hours, and then there could be something with 300 hours on it that was maintained really well with proper maintenance thats in better condition then the one with 50 hours. So it really depends on how well it was taken care of

Thats my thoughts as well but in the car market milage effects price and I have never bought a bike or quad and check the hours. I always looked at the condition of it and said yes or know to buying it. Like you said a quad could have low hours and be trashed. This 400ex looks great in the photos I only wished I had 1,200 it's on craiglist.

I agree about going on the overall condition. My quad doesnt get many hours, but the ones it does get are like dog years. Just give it a good look over. Check for things like play in the bushings and bearings, obvious cracks or damage to the frame, play in the steering, proper fluid levels, etc. Quads hold their value a lot more than cars seem to in the fact that you could get a used quad thats 5 years old for practically the same as a used quad thats 10 years old. That is at least what I have experienced.

I actually like an automobile with miles on it preferable over 100k because most of wear parts have been replaced at this point. I have a 99 s10 Blazer 4x4 that I bought in 2009 with only 32K on it. It was used for winter driving and thats it. I knew the guy and this was true. I bought it thinking it was a great deal but it turned into a nightmare. There is not a day that doesnt go by that there isnt something wrong. The underside is rusted out. Transmission slips, hard to start, hardware usually has to chiseled off. Wiring and hoses are brittle. Electrical problems up the as*. I have a 99 F450 7.3L with 204K on it that runs like a champ. Obviously the suspension parts are now new as is all maintainance parts. The miles are mostly highway traveling all over NY. I also have a 99 Dodge Ram Cargo Van 2500 which has 159K on it. Runs mint but has a lil rust problem. Its my ATV tow vehicle and also is relatively problem free.

Whether this is from sitting or its a Chevy problem I dont know. I wont buy another Chevy again. I do know that higher mileage cars seem to have less problems. Is this true for ATVs?

Mario I'm not a chevy guy at all the S10 based trucks was once know for the most engine replacement trucks on the market I think they got better thru the years. I had Chevy Dodge Ford & I have always got better service from the Fords & Dodge's over the chevy Back in 78 when I first started driving I had GM cars my 71 Olds cutless was a great car and & Buick we had in the family was trouble free. My Chevy's on the other hand was always needing work fuel pump, watr pump, altenator, timing chain before it would get close to 100,000. As far as quads go I'm not sure on them but like with my prairie being a 4x4 their is alot more things to go wrong and I think age and mileage needs to be consider due to the extra gears, shafts & joints. Just like mine being stuck in 4wd wear from age and mileage.

But i think what could go wrong already would. I mean first ride out on the atv you would know that something was wrong with it. On cars frame damage and accidents are easy to cover up. On atvs everything is either out in the open or easy access. As far as cv joints and kebc and all the like, I would think that its easy to tell from noise or you would feel it through vibration.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

Mario I'm not a chevy guy at all the S10 based trucks was once know for the most engine replacement trucks on the market I think they got better thru the years. I had Chevy Dodge Ford & I have always got better service from the Fords & Dodge's over the chevy Back in 78 when I first started driving I had GM cars my 71 Olds cutless was a great car and & Buick we had in the family was trouble free. My Chevy's on the other hand was always needing work fuel pump, watr pump, altenator, timing chain before it would get close to 100,000. As far as quads go I'm not sure on them but like with my prairie being a 4x4 their is alot more things to go wrong and I think age and mileage needs to be consider due to the extra gears, shafts & joints. Just like mine being stuck in 4wd wear from age and mileage.

:aargh:Please don`t call an S-10 a Chevy let a lone a truck !!!:realmad:

Mario I'm not sure my friend might ask me to go with him to look at it I know he will use my trailer. He bought a 03 or 04 Honda 250 he put in a bid on from a local bank and I helped him get it running. But that one only cost him 400.00 He thought he got a bad deal till I got it running needed two front tires & brakes, plastics had to be put back on. t's been a good quad. Since then he has me to look at what he's thinking about buying. He has a Yamaha grizzley thats not running now. That he wanted me to look at for him.

I would also go by condition, just think what you would have to keep up on the quad and make sure the work was done. Check for mud or breaks in the plastic/frame and the condition(clean or dirty) on the carb boot, intake and airbox.

good points Cat I always look under the quad ! It sometimes tells a different story !!

email this posting to a friend atlanta craigslist > otp south > for sale / wanted > motorcycles/scooters - by owner

please flag with care: [?]

miscategorized

prohibited

spam/overpost

best of craigslist

Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info

Honda 400ex - $1250 (Peachtree City)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 2011-09-25, 9:19PM EDT

Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

400cc fourstroke Honda fourwheeler. (TRX400EX) Runs real strong, actually too fast for my daughter. Looking for $1250 or might consider some trades for a utility fourwheeler or smaller sport quad. May also consider a dirt bike. call or text (404)423-4463 or email back.

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2617380365

Copyright © 2011 craigslist, inc.terms of useprivacy policyfeedback forum

Where I am at if it has wheels and plastics its $1500. I saw a 400ex listed for $1800 and the running condition was listed as "unknown". How could you not know? Either yes it runs or no it doesnt.

around here it 2000 or so ! But we have had a rash of stolen quads on craigs list !! You know like 08 raptor 700 3 mods for 2500.00 :laugh: