Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

sed781

2003 Kawasaki Bayou 250 beater??

Hi all,

this is my first post here and i have a very important question that maybe someone will tell me what they would do. My friend has a 2003 kawasaki bayou 250 that he has been wanting to sell. It needs new brakes all around and new back tires. Now heres the thing he is convinced that it has piston knock. However, from what ive found its very unusual that a bayou this new has piston problems or needs a rebuild. Ive read that sometimes the timing chain may just be slightly loose. Because he is convince it has major problems he wants to sell it to me for $200 bucks. What are the chances of me coming out ahead on this and what are the chances of me losing my ass?

thanks

ps im going to look at it tomorrow

I would say at 200 bucks you will probably come out ahead and have a decent ride out of it in the end. Good luck.

also guys sorry i forgot to put this is the original post but do you all know what size tires the stock 250 uses? i need to see how much rear tires would be. The ones on it are about done id say

I would definitely buy it for $200. I had a 2002 bayou 220, fun machine. :yes: For that price, you can't go wrong.

* Added year to thread title.

also guys sorry i forgot to put this is the original post but do you all know what size tires the stock 250 uses? i need to see how much rear tires would be. The ones on it are about done id say

rears are 22x10-10 and fronts are 21x8-9

Thanks for all your help guys. I went to ride it today an look at it. Its solid for $200. I mean the thing has some small problems worn brake pads, worn tires, slight piston knock. Honestly though i was expecting to go look at it and it sound like it was about to blow up. I honestly can barely hear the knock and if it gets too bad ill fix it. Ill never really lose money on it and thats what i wanted. I have always ridden a bayou 350 4x4 and Im amazed at how much more fun the 250 is. Its just so light and agile compared to the 350 beast. I bought it and am picking it up tomorrow along with some brake pads and some new grips.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Michael Lemay
      DWT Rear Beadlock Rims CST Caribou Tire iGRIP Shouldered  Studs 6mm

• By Larry Fox
      Looking for the wiring diagram of the gauge cluster. Thinking about using it on my 2008 that I just bought.. Its gauge is destroyed
    • By Venom
      Hi, All

I started this project a while ago.. I have decided to make one thread I can continuously update..

So , here we go. I got this Raptor 80 in really bad condition.. Rear end frozen, Engine toast, tires dry rotted, tons of rust..etc.. They admitted they beat on it very hard.

Since they do not make these with a drive shaft anymore I decided to restore it from top to bottom..

These are photos of when I got it home.

Next up, the tear down..

First, I needed to tear it down and determine if the rear end was still good... As we all know... That is where it would be cost prohibitive to restore if it is trashed..

Got it completely stripped down and I lucked out... The rear Drum brake was caked solid inside with dried mud. That was causing the rear end to lock up. Took off the rear brakes and the rear end spun perfectly smooth.

Once I got it all stripped apart I needed to take the finish off all the parts. I am going to be powder coating the frame and many parts.. Once the finish is off each part it will need to be sandblasted to white metal .. The guy I use for powder coating gives me a hefty discount if I bring the parts to him ready to go.

You could just sand blast, but that would take a long time to get the finish off. First I used Aircraft Paint Remover.. That stuff is pretty toxic Goggles and Resperator are required. That quickly gets you down to the metal... Then you can sand blast to white metal pretty quickly...

I had another thread I had started about a problem with the tear down... It has some great info .... here is the link... It is about removing the frame bushings. ....

https://www.quadcrazy.com/atvforum/topic/14209-raptor-80-frame-bushings/?tab=comments#comment-104702
    • By Jeff Comstock
      Help a brother four legger out
       Bayou300 acts like it's flooding if it's it's in the Alabama sun all day but, I've cleaned the carb. Sometimes it'll backfire even though the timing and valve lash are in spec. Thought it was sticking float but after 2 times cleaning the carb I'm lost. So
    • By StolenATV
      I’m filing report in morning. Only 5 people knew it was there. Simple. I bought this for my autistic kid. The thieves KNEW this. My kid never got to ride it. My bf is the prime suspect
      The post Stolen 2003 Yamaha Warrior 350 appeared first on STOLEN 911.
      View the full article
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Derick Joel Smith Trimmings
      Buying a Baja 250 tomorrow for 600 bucks, needs nothing but a wheel bearing, i already know Baja is an off brand crappier. Manufacturer, but does anyone have any tips or knowledge of these bikes? 
    • By fatfarmboy
      Just bought (Tue. evening) an '89 Suzuki 250 4wd that has been sitting out the last 5 yrs. It's complete, including the shift knobs, battery cover, and headlights. It has the optional cooling fan on it (probly stuck - didn't check), and the engine isn't locked up. Plastic looks good and isnt cracked. Racks aren't bent up. Shift lever works, the foot brake moves (needs oil - have to pull it up by hand), and there's black oil and no water in the engine sight glass. Guy was asking $125 and gladly took $100 for it. Anxious to get started on bringing it back to life. Been wanting one of these for years. As soon as I can get to it (working on a junky "Jackel" right now - Chinese Yamaha Timberwolf). I'm going to pull the tank off it and clean it, clean & possibly rebuild carb, put in new plug, and a battery, then see what happens. If nothing, will keep going until it runs. Feel free to respond if you want to, I'm mainly just excited and wanted to tell somebody. 
    • By Flanstone
      I just bought two 1985 TRX250's from my father-in-law. One runs great, the other not so much. The one is having issues with the shifter. The shifter seems to be resting lower than normal. When I press the shifter downward, it just pops back up. Any thougjts as to what the issue might be?
    • By Christopher Williams
      Hello all, 
      i just rebuilt the top end of a 99 Bear Tracker 250 and it can’t get it to hit off of gasoline or starter fluid. Occasionally it will backfire. Right now I’m just trying to get it to fire off without the carburetor like I’ve done a thousand times before with other engines. Usually there is no response, but occasionally I get a backfire through the intake. ISeems like it’s out of time, but I don’t see how that could be possible. 
      Here’s what I know:
      1. compression 120psi
      2. all timing marks are lined up after numerous revolutions. 
      3. Strong spark. 
      4. Valves adjusted correctly. 
      Thanks in advance.