Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

drschwinn

2001 Arctic Cat 4x4 - Running Lean

Need some advice... The exhaust coming out of the engine glows red hot when running for a few minutes. I have been told it is running too lean. How do I fix this? is there an adjustment on the carb? if so, where is it located? Thanks!

Thanks for the help. I just had a look, and I cant figure out if the fuel air mixture can be adjusted without taking the carb apart. Does anyone know by chance?

Need some advice... The exhaust coming out of the engine glows red hot when running for a few minutes. I have been told it is running too lean. How do I fix this? is there an adjustment on the carb? if so, where is it located? Thanks!

If if an engine is running to lean the exhaust should not glow red hot! Sounds to me like something is restricting your exhaust for example: nest from dirt dobbers, rats, squirrels and other little critters can cause this. This same thing will occur on many vehicles with catalytic converter/s installed that become clogged over time. Hope This Helps, Whip

probably 3 bolts starting near the seat. one will be a clamp to the straight pipe and then the other bolts would be to hold it to the frame. i would just take the muffler off and run it to see if that makes a difference. i have heard of running a garden hose thru the muffler to rid mud mud etc. ...

ok great, I will try that. Stupid question tho... wouldn't you be able to tell if it is plugged simply by checking the end of the pipe while it is running (without taking anything off)? Or can it be restricted just a little, causing it to glow red hot???

my buddy had a 750 brute that was plugged and had the motor rebuilt from kawasaki and they didn't know, so, it's an easy check really, just a few curse words getting that bolt under the seat by the fender LOL

you'll get some pressure coming out, but maybe not all that it should be ... and if it still glows when the muffler is off, get a wire coat hanger and straighten it out and shove it down the straight pipe, but put a peice of tape on the hanger so you don't go too far in ... measure it a couple inches up from the bend into the cylinder

ok great, I will try that. Stupid question tho... wouldn't you be able to tell if it is plugged simply by checking the end of the pipe while it is running (without taking anything off)? Or can it be restricted just a little, causing it to glow red hot???

Sounds like ur running lean Bigger Jet will help !! If you got a spark arrester I dought anything is in ur exhaust unless it ate the screen !!

I would check first for air leaks or torn boots before the carb or airbox. Is the lid on your airbox?

Did you snorkel the quad or replace/modify the muffler?

Also how cold is it there. If it was running fine before lets start threre.