Lilray76

2006 Arctic Cat 500 - Stalling

I was plowing with my my quad last night and the thing just started sputtering and died. It will start and idle but if I put it in gear or try to give it gas while in neutral it stalls.

If I feather the gas it will rev but then winds down stalls and then pops.

I removed the carb and cleaned it, still doing it.

I drained the fuel and put new fuel with sea foam, still doing it.

I pulled the fuel line and started the engine and there is plenty of gas flowing out.

Maybe the electric choke? But I don't smell it flooding.

I guess I will try the plug next, but it doesn't seem like a plug issue, it's acting like a fuel thing. But the carb is super clean and the fuel is new.

Anyone have anything ideas?

•  Like what you are reading? Please help us by sharing this content.

I would check the voltage on the battery if you are using a winch to lift the plow. A low battery sometimes makes the ecu do werid things. Also if you listen close you can hear the fuel pump if it is working and rule that out.

I think it is similar to the 2007s and it should be under the seat. It is round and runs off a vacuum from the carb boot.

That seems ok. I pulled the fuel line off of the carb and started it up. Running off of the fuel in the carb I half filled a water bottle before it stalled.

Carb boot looks ok.

I'll check the battery and see what the charging voltage is and report back.

If your plowing fluffy snow, the intake may have sucked in some snow. I would also check the intake for snow obstructions, the tires can sometime sling snow to the underside and that is where the intake is.

Mike

If your plowing fluffy snow, the intake may have sucked in some snow. I would also check the intake for snow obstructions, the tires can sometime sling snow to the underside and that is where the intake is.

Mike

Everything was pretty caked with snow, but I can't see any evidence of moisture in the intake or aircleaner.

I think I may have fixed it today. I think it was a fouled plug.

I checked the battery (13.3 volts) and its charging at 14.5. So that seemed good. I pulled the plug out and it was wet so I know it's getting gas but it was also black and sooty.

After I replaced the plug I ran it around pretty hard through the snow for 20 minutes or so and it seems ok, no stalling.

I guess if the new plug fouls before the end of winter ill have to check if its running to rich and why it's running rich. It is doing a little back fire when I shut it off but I think it has always done that......

Thanks for all the feedback. Sharing info is better than shelling out 90 bucks an hour at the dealer any day.