Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

My experience...

Major brands - used older machines are tough and generally easier to obtain parts for in the aftermarket and used.  Many times if they are broken can be purchased for the same price as a Chinese ATV. Parts to repair will cost about the same or less than a new Chinese machine, but they tend to be very reliable once repaired. Retains resale value after you are done riding/repairing it.

Chinese brands - can be purchased cheap and repaired cheap when they break.  I would only recommend someone who really wants to get into repairing ATVs or likes to tinker constantly with something to purchase them.  (Of course mileage can very from brand to brand) Resale value is little to non-existent once they are broken.

as a side note, I have purchased many an older kawasaki or suzuki quads and repaired them cheaper than most sellers want for their piles of broken chinese ATVs.

I agree. I started out with a beater Eton 150, because it was cheap. I'm a mechanic so I enjoyed learning about them (ended up with four that ran and 1 donor). I  still run them - they have been dependable if low performance - my wheelchair for the woods.

I bought a beater 125 TaoTao to fix for my grandson. Awful. Alternated between intermittant carburetor problems and intrmittant electrical problems. The wiring is poor with bullet connectors the come loose in place.  The handle bars with switches and levers attached have to be removed and dangle to remove the front body panel and acess wiring. I ended cutting it off and laccing it back on with zipties.

I now have a Honda Recon, that is fun to ride and its a Honda. I'll be looking for a 4x4 Honda for snow and difficult terrain.

Tahj

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By bradken19
      the king quad had sit for about 1 1/2 years. So I rebuilt the carb and now it will not start. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    • By Shane Stump
      Ok guys needs some help asap ready to set this thing on fire..thing would never start valves were tight i adjusted the calves to correct shims on intake n exhaust have plenty of clearance in between cam lobes n shims..problem is i done set tdc about 10 times now its dead on..will not fire one hiccup sprayed gas into carb while cranking n while not all it does is make a loud backfire n some flames come out. Its like valves are tight but  there not.idk how it could be firing wrong with it at tdc. I need help asap
    • By scotty2hotty01
      i have a older honda 350 cc quad that seems to start and other days will not.spark seems to be gone and there when it does run.I checked newer coil odd a older yet Honda but no help and idea I going to find the serial number as forget the year but believe around 1995 to 1997 year besides that great quad but cant run it so great this way  and need it for chores around the acreage. Any help would be great. Ive check all fuses as well as the fusable ling which was fine until I screwed with it now need to buy another as have it wired not so safe.I handy but now have copd which takes away the brain power some.Any help would sure be appreciated 
    • By mmmPUDDIN
      I've had this machine for 2ish years, has ran great up until winter. Sometime during then, I managed to break the exhaust right before the muffler. The summer before it had a hard time idling, but we fixed it by cleaning the carb, and messing with idle. Near the end of last year, the only way for it to fire was the have full choke, and full throttle, and the engine bogged down and you had to keep on throttle for 25mins. Over winter, the throttle had dislocated, and I got it back in place. We got it running, and all was good. Spring came along, and now it doesn't start at all. A fluid is coming out of the exhaust, and I'm told it could be water from over winter. I checked the airbox, and the air filter isn't for this quad, it also is barely sucking air. There appears to be little to no compression, based on this. I'm pretty sure the engine is flooded, as the spark plug produces a spark, but is oxidized. I don't know how the previous owner treated it, or when it's last oil change was. A bolt on the engine has either oil or gas seeping through it,abd was loose. I tightened it and it consisted. The engine is basically positioned in the rear, and it needs a good clean, I don't have a pressure washer, so I can get the built on dirt off. any recommendations on how to get the beast started again?
    • By Denver Cumpston
      Have a Yamaha 550 grizzly kids dumped gas in that had water in it stopped running, siphoned it out added new gas and dry gas in but still wont fire 
  • Similar Tagged Content

• Guest Fox300exchic
      By Guest Fox300exchic
      Indicators that tell you to check your toe-in.
    • By pickytar
      I have a Chinese Hybird 250 or that's what I was told it was. I found 17 numbers on the frame. Will these numbers tell me exactly what it is that I have? (I know that its a 2006 from a plate on the front)
    • By buzzar56
      I am looking for a free repair manual for a 2003 Polaris sportsman 500 ho atv. all the posts on here lead me noplace
      thanks fred.
    • By txlora84
      I have a 110cc atv not sure of a brand its a Chinese model. I put on a new harness with cdi solenoid and all those. I have put a new starter on, and carburetor. I bypassed the start button cause it was just making the solenoid click. with the new button switch the atv will crank but not start. I tried to jump the solenoid and it did nothing. I am stumped. also I noticed gas leaking from the carburetor and when I took the filter off there was gas in it. I cleaned the carburetor and nothing was stuck or clogged. can someone help me out.
    • By WCRTeam
      New atv Edit - we love atv 2015
      Plz like and subscribe in youtube
      [ame]
      [/ame]