Quantcast

1995 Kawasaki Bayou 220 - Starter Issues

cbbubby78

Wanted to see if someone could tell me if they think my problem is the solenoid relay or the starter itself. starts and runs fine with pull rope but if I try to use electric start then it will just barely drag over maybe once or twice and then stop just like it does when the battery is dead. battery is hot but just to make sure I even hooked up booster cables and still did same thing. does it sound like the solenoid is the problem or do I need new starter? checked fuses and they are still good.

I am working on cleaning the connections to the starter and frame now. Its not the battery, I took one off of another atv that I know is good and it still done the same thing. if after cleaning the connections it is still doing same thing, would I be better off replacing the solenoid or should I take the starter off and open it up to see if something is catching in it ?

• 3 months later...

It could. If the brushes are worn down shorter than they are wide, the brush could begin to cock inside its cage. If its dragging check the bearings or bushings too. Thats easy to check while its all apart. Partially assemble the starter & spin the armature with the brushes out of their cages then try it with them installed correctly.

Shim it, OR...If it has a one way bearing on the gear ( not sure if you took that apart ) make sure its installed correctly. If it has a bendix style drive , make sure that the helix is working properly. Does the motor turn over with the rope? If its doesnt turn over with the rope then Id suspect a one way bearing is either in wrong or its malfunctioning due to lack of use. Some designs have the one way built into the engine case where the gear engages. You could try praying it out with some cleaner to get it freed up. Again, Im sorta guessing cause Im not sure what design yours is.

Edited by Mudflap64
added content

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By semicolon
      Hi, I am having issues with my TRX350D fuel pump.  It suddenly stopped running so I have replaced all the fuses and cleaned all the terminals.  I have fitted a new pump, fuel cut-off relay and rectifier.  Still nothing!!  The pump runs when attached to a battery.  The engine will start on the choke and the filter fills with fuel but it will  not rev and dies when the choke is closed. I have power to the relay but nothing at the pump black/white wire when cranking the engine.  Any ideas where to go from here would be very much appreciated!!

• By N00bie
      From Arkansas. Just bought a 2012 Gator 850i RSX because I could not pass up the price. BUT it has an idle problem. So, to be honest, I joined just to get a service manual. I have a choice: 1)Buy a hard copy: ~$100; 2)Buy a CD ~$35.00; Get a direct download for free posting 10 times; or get a download for $29.00 (subscription). Haven't decided what to do yet.
    • By skittle021
      So I've got a Hisun 550 that I was doing some work on that required removing the CVT and it's housing. Upon attempting to reinstall the clutch, sheaves, etc, I found that the belt no longer fits - it's far too wide. None of the parts have been replaced, they're all OEM. Exactly the same parts as what I took off a few weeks ago.
      To be more specific, my belt is 1.25in wide, but the gap between the clutch and the primary sheave is only 7/8in wide. I'll include a few photos to explain.
      Has anyone ever experienced such a bizarre problem? Any help at all would be appreciated, I've been stuck on this for a month. I'm open to just about any suggestion.
      Photos: 

• By Charlesbrown
      I’m looking for a top end kit for a Yamaha. I would like to see how well the engine runs before spending $6-$7 hundred on oem. Niche has complete kits from $1-$2 hundred.  Anyone have experience with Niche or similar Chinese companies? 
    • By Admin
      Does anyone use GPS, whether on a device or app to record their ATV trail rides? I have been thinking about a section where our members can upload let's say a .gpx file and share their rides on a google map for others to see where there are riding areas. Not sure if this is something of interest or how much it would be used, so just trying to get an idea.
      Importing routes from files like xml, lmx, tour, freshroute, gpx, kmz, kml