Quantcast

2001 Trail Boss 325 popping noise from chain/ sprocket area

copedaddy

My wife has a well used 325 Trail Boss and recently she noticed there is a distinct rhythmic clicking or popping noise that sounds like its coming from the chain/ sprocket area. Increases with speed and happens in fwd or reverse.

I jacked up the rear of the quad and rotated the tires and there is no sound when the drivetrain is unloaded. Any suggestions on what this could be or how to troubleshoot? Im new to 4-wheelers, so this might be something pretty simple but I just dont have much experience working with them.

Would appreciate any help or suggestions

My wife has a well used 325 Trail Boss and recently she noticed there is a distinct rhythmic clicking or popping noise that sounds like its coming from the chain/ sprocket area. Increases with speed and happens in fwd or reverse.

I jacked up the rear of the quad and rotated the tires and there is no sound when the drivetrain is unloaded. Any suggestions on what this could be or how to troubleshoot? Im new to 4-wheelers, so this might be something pretty simple but I just dont have much experience working with them.

Would appreciate any help or suggestions

My first quess would be bearings ! Is the rear a straight axle ? If it is jack it up and see if ur tires move up &down or Side to side !

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By hardcastle
      My friends KQ 300 starts fine and runs, as soon as you put it in gear and try to accelerate its bucks and farts like crazy, not moving... I cleaned carb and it worked good for 1 day... now back to same problem.... could it be such as a bent valve????
    • By Kawiherder
      It starts and runs Ok but after a while the temp gage lights up and the fan fails to start.  Any suggestions on where to start looking would be helpful.  Thanks
    • By p5200
      Hello, would this be a good Master Link tool for pressing master link plate back on? I've seen others made of aluminum but thought this one might hold up better. Thanks! 🙂 
      https://www.amazon.com/BARTOO-Motorcycle-Convenient-pressing-Alignment/dp/B0C4FB1V7D/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1KRW04WLD82EI&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.4Y2_vOEctIVv0vgmajSYXL844RphCjGBrMsiewv7Z1sVIMYMM5OQNBL0cXeHLmUDsnKMO5JffQPEP8vl4xuxCUczEfKGgw4r-MYmLgCzydGm9sHnK8hX7o1AqXunVpgpR8RrfQ8noUmfLyoxTqUcrl9tj82jDWeB5CL1rifd--ufsiyaWkBl4omd_1qyx7a97BvOTogpK40NTm9BfKjSt2H5mXrjEnhEOcxSYxUHiRx61KbfDBaA8B9CvwQjM3qGIf4Ay1zWxxPURTnX5qjhddcAADez5JNCFVrUYeLE-7M.sFaeyu09Q7O8v9B0NPjaDYDuHqVqE4uyxspDEpxBs6U&dib_tag=se&keywords=chain+press+tool+for+polaris+500+scrambler&qid=1709916341&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&sprefix=chain+press+tool+for+polaris+500+scrambler%2Caps%2C198&sr=8-3
    • By p5200
      The studs in the sprocket hub are stripped out. The hub is probably walloed out also. Probably will have to have a new sprocket hub. I doubt I have the ability nor the tools needed for this job. Thanks for all suggestions/opinions! 

20240225_155255.mp4   20240225_155255.mp4 20240225_155255.mp4 20240225_155255.mp4  
    • By p5200
      I added more fresh gas it sat one day now, it's acting up again. Before cleaning out carburetor it wouldn't idle good and had gas leaks from carburetor. Now it idles pretty good but, if I increase throttle speed at a certain amount it starts missing bad. I'm going to try and post a short video. Just about ready to give up on this thing.😒  you can see reflection perking in video.

20240217_114429.mp4