pato2387

2000 Honda 400EX Oil Filter Gasket

10 posts in this topic

i was wondering if anybody knows if there is a oil filter cover gasket. this is for a 2000 honda 400ex with a big bore kit. the reason i ask is because i changed the oil and filter once i changed the filter and put the cover back on and oil started leaking out around the cover.

I would say it should have an o ring or gasket I don't have that type so I can't say I'm right either. My quad uses an automotive style filter. If you have a filter cartrage that the oil flows thru and the cover is what holds the oil in I say 100% it should have one.

yea the filter came with an o-ring but what i was wondering is if were the cover meets the crankcase if there should be a gasket in between that because it seems like the kid i baught it off of used a permatex on it or if it was just my fault when i installed it. i may have damaged the o-ring which could be causing a leak its only when its a cool temp when it is warm it does leak as much

Yes see my previous post. Remove all of the permatex and install an o ring its about 2 1/2 inches in diameter. For this I would go to a dealer as the would have the proper size. Going to a hydraulic place they might not have one the is an exact fit and might leak again. Make sure none of that permatex got into your motor. It will damage your motor.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

Edited by marioweldinginc

ok i understand what ur saying i thought u were referring to something else at first. thank u for the advise .

i would replace the o ring as stated above make sure you oil the o ring before install only tighten by hand. make sure the filter cover is not bent out of shape or something wrong with it.

Edited by hangingon

i was wondering if anybody knows if there is a oil filter cover gasket. this is for a 2000 honda 400ex with a big bore kit. the reason i ask is because i changed the oil and filter once i changed the filter and put the cover back on and oil started leaking out around the cover.

it takes a oring not a gasket