Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

Do You Use GPS For ATV Trails?

Admin

• 2 weeks later...

Depends whether you have nervous riders wth you or not.😁 Wouldn't bug me but have a wife that wouldn't be too keen on the idea, and a brother who is just a nervous Nelly!! He gets uptight if I even use words like "not sure exactly" , " I think" or "maybe try" even up tight if it starts getting a little late in the day. 😄 Try to sneak out without him one in a while just to have a more relaxing day🤣😂🙂.

1 hour ago, 2002kq300 said:

I never use gps while riding just because there is something about getting lost in the woods on a bike that lets you escape from the world for a bit. Obviously don't get lost literally haha.

I've never been lost since I was six or so. Many times I didn't know where I was, but lost, never.

Learned way finding as a kid. I got lost ONCE in the Sierra Nevadas at six and figured it out on my own.

Since then I have always known "how to get back", I just don't loose track of  . . like a mnemonic map pin or something.

I do ride with a MAP that shows the legal trails and there is a compass in my trouble gear.

I'll carry a TOPO with me if Im going deep.

• Like 1

I don't do motorbike riding on trails, but I always use an app when I go walking or ride a pedal power bike... Mainly for tracking my exercise more than where I went, but it's definitely been handy a few times for both getting an idea of where I'd been, and for getting unlost more than once.

Motorbike riding for me will be work related not for fun (once I get one running). Might still use something to get an idea of how far we run around though. Could be interesting to calculate fuel consumption compared to a car doing the same job I guess.

On 9/22/2022 at 9:13 PM, tin said:

I don't do motorbike riding on trails, but I always use an app when I go walking or ride a pedal power bike... Mainly for tracking my exercise more than where I went, but it's definitely been handy a few times for both getting an idea of where I'd been, and for getting unlost more than once.

Motorbike riding for me will be work related not for fun (once I get one running). Might still use something to get an idea of how far we run around though. Could be interesting to calculate fuel consumption compared to a car doing the same job I guess.

You might be missing the best part of having one . . 

1 minute ago, tin said:

Probably.... But for now, just not having to walk a kilometre or so with all the fence posts and tools will make me very happy. 🤣

right? I internally argued dropping a bit of change on an ATV. Not that I didnt know I would ride it to death, but Ive gotten pretty careful with money over the last few decades. 

I am kicking myself for not buying in a lot sooner.

It doesnt make my 'to do list' shorter, but it sure makes packing tool 1500 yards up my back yard a lot easier and a heck of a lot more fun.

And yeah, I can get to places I want to explore a lot quicker now and there are a lot of stones left in my life to turn over.

On 10/21/2016 at 5:06 AM, mikeexplorer said:

I use android, some of the apps I have I use are "Open GPS tracker" (free) "Journey tracker" (free)

Openstreets Android "OsmAnd" (pay) but there is a free version, "US Topo Maps" (pay)

Yes, I use the ONXoffroad app for riding trails, as well as forest service maps. I have the subscription that shows public lands and private land and landowners.

• 9 months later...
  • Admin unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes to using GPS. The same smartphone app as for walking. Great way to lay out trails on a map to explain lay of the land for someone new to the area. Also great for labeling trails for difficulty. My maps have been well received. Layered on Google earth maps.