Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV or UTV? Join our Forum!

Join QUADCRAZY ATV Forum today for FREE! We keep these forums clean and user friendly. All first posters will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first post is approved, you will no longer need to got through an approval process. To gain immediate approval and a NO ADS experience, consider subsribing to our Premium Membership.

Do You Use GPS For ATV Trails?

Admin

Polaris Ride Command works great and the Trail Tech Voyager Pro (also a Polaris product) uses the group ride feature. My experience with the Ride Command on my phone is great until I lose cell service and with all the mountains, valleys in our area cell service becomes very intermittent if not gone all together. That's the biggest reason I like a dedicated GPS on my rides. I do record the tracks on my VP and upload the GPX to my Ride Command so I can access it there so its not without use

Edited by Akunin

10 hours ago, Harold Wallace said:

POLARIS RIDE COMMAND! https://bnc.lt/RFZm/V6XJRRBMSdb

Nice ride! Wow, looks like great country to ride in!

This is more like an example of using the Voyager Pro then uploading the GPX to Ride Command... and the hours show how long I forgot to turn off tracking. 

https://bnc.lt/RFZm/bHtru1q6Ydb#.YC7B07fBlH8.link

Edited by Akunin

• 8 months later...

I have an ap called onX offroad, it runs about 30.00 a year but is well worth it as you are not using a separate device, uses your cell phone and you can save areas prior to riding on your phone then go to that area offline and record your rides, mark stopping points etc. They also have a hunting version I believe. They are based out of Missoula Montana, I believe, my nephew works for them, is the web page designer. Pretty cool ap works well, in our area we have trails that shut down certain times of the year, when you click on that trail it tells you what dates it opens and closes so you aren't riding illegally when you're not supposed to be.

Might work for some of you guys.

https://www.onxmaps.com/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Depends whether you have nervous riders wth you or not.😁 Wouldn't bug me but have a wife that wouldn't be too keen on the idea, and a brother who is just a nervous Nelly!! He gets uptight if I even use words like "not sure exactly" , " I think" or "maybe try" even up tight if it starts getting a little late in the day. 😄 Try to sneak out without him one in a while just to have a more relaxing day🤣😂🙂.

1 hour ago, 2002kq300 said:

I never use gps while riding just because there is something about getting lost in the woods on a bike that lets you escape from the world for a bit. Obviously don't get lost literally haha.

I've never been lost since I was six or so. Many times I didn't know where I was, but lost, never.

Learned way finding as a kid. I got lost ONCE in the Sierra Nevadas at six and figured it out on my own.

Since then I have always known "how to get back", I just don't loose track of  . . like a mnemonic map pin or something.

I do ride with a MAP that shows the legal trails and there is a compass in my trouble gear.

I'll carry a TOPO with me if Im going deep.

• Like 1

I don't do motorbike riding on trails, but I always use an app when I go walking or ride a pedal power bike... Mainly for tracking my exercise more than where I went, but it's definitely been handy a few times for both getting an idea of where I'd been, and for getting unlost more than once.

Motorbike riding for me will be work related not for fun (once I get one running). Might still use something to get an idea of how far we run around though. Could be interesting to calculate fuel consumption compared to a car doing the same job I guess.

On 9/22/2022 at 9:13 PM, tin said:

I don't do motorbike riding on trails, but I always use an app when I go walking or ride a pedal power bike... Mainly for tracking my exercise more than where I went, but it's definitely been handy a few times for both getting an idea of where I'd been, and for getting unlost more than once.

Motorbike riding for me will be work related not for fun (once I get one running). Might still use something to get an idea of how far we run around though. Could be interesting to calculate fuel consumption compared to a car doing the same job I guess.

You might be missing the best part of having one . . 

1 minute ago, tin said:

Probably.... But for now, just not having to walk a kilometre or so with all the fence posts and tools will make me very happy. 🤣

right? I internally argued dropping a bit of change on an ATV. Not that I didnt know I would ride it to death, but Ive gotten pretty careful with money over the last few decades. 

I am kicking myself for not buying in a lot sooner.

It doesnt make my 'to do list' shorter, but it sure makes packing tool 1500 yards up my back yard a lot easier and a heck of a lot more fun.

And yeah, I can get to places I want to explore a lot quicker now and there are a lot of stones left in my life to turn over.