Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

muletrain60

2007 Arctic Cat 400 ATV No Fire

Machine ran fine one day, next day nothing. Replaced the coil still no fire. Battery is fine, have lights, dash indicators, etc with key on. Cranks over, just no fire.  How do I check the CDI?  Also what is the probability of the stator being bad?  Thoughts?

Have you checked for spark and there's no spark? I always think spark, fuel, and then timing.

• Like 1

Spark plug could have gone bad, I owned this exact machine, I had a crack in the spark plug boot once, I replaced the coil & boot as one assembly, it was only a few bucks more to replace both.

but change the plug first

• Like 1

THANKS. We have and ran all troubleshooting procedures. Comes back to the CDI. Waiting for one now. Will update later. Again Thanks

Okay, update time.  Installed new CDI. NOTHING! Same problem exists! I'm perplexed...What are the odds of receiving a bad CDI?  Bad Wiring Harness(s)? I could really use some feed back here. Thanks in advance.

Here is the schematic, looks at item 21 lower right corner, that is the stator, the three black wires are the AC volts for the charging system, the other four wires are the trigger for spark. The 2007 400 models were known for wire harness problems.  The service manual is in the link below. You will have to check to make sure you don't have broken wires from the sensor to the CDI. 2006 and earlier models did have an issue with the stator magnets becoming unglued, but this was solved in the 2007 models. I had that machine for 9 years and put 16,000 miles on it and never had a stator problem. I did have wiring harness problems twice. The service manual should have the procedure to test the spark trigger.

Mike

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Arctic-Cat-ATV-Repair-and-Service-Manuals/arctic_cat_2007_400_500_650_700_service_manual.pdf

2007 400 Schematic.jpg

Thanks for the info and reply. I've done all these, but may go back to them. The boys are sending another CDI in the meantime. I'll keep ya posted. Again thanks.

Did you ever redo any tests on the stator? What kind of resistance was there....seems more likely to see a bad stator than a cdi problem.

Alright gang here is an update!  Finally pulled the case off. Magneto looks great.  4 of the magnets in the rotor are loose and sliding.( Any home grown epoxy fixes?) Other wise new rotor.  The outer magnet has no magnetism at all. How can the trigger work if this is my finding?  Thanks

UPDATE.....UP and running. Replaced the flywheel.  Good to go. Great kit from RMSTATOR. Thanks again for the input and advice. Great group.         Muletrain

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Chase Cook
      I have a Yamaha 350 in at once to try to fire up but won't. It's getting gas fire air and it has a lot of compression but still struggles to start check the timing it's top dead center valves are good valves are adjusted everything's working but won't fire I put my hand over the carb suck in gas and it tries to but it makes a lot of black smoke. Also when I put my hand over do you carb and tried to start it there's black black nasty stuff in the gas. So I don't know if it's trying to burn too much or what it is the gas tank clean and it anything to do with the gas it's with it firing. Took the spark plug out and it's pure black. What is dried up black not nasty corroded wet looking. Need help to solve the issue
    • By Rinconrecker
      RZR 2 for 2
      1st - Dry Pull Suzuki Samuri @ River Ranch

2nd - Dry Pull Jeep CJ7 @ Rancho

Who's next? coming for ya!!!

• By Larry Fox
      I have a 2017 1000s. Should I be worried that it will catch fire? 
    • By bradleyheathhays
      So I got this '96 Jeep Cherokee XJ that cranks but doesn't start.  It's got around 180k on her but I keep everything in good shape.  Batt seemed strong.

I used to drive it everyday but this past year I've driven it only about twice a week.  It's been just slightly slower to start in the last couple of months, but just barely slower.  Was guessing it had something to do with aging plugs or something.

Drove it yesterday and everything was normal like always, sat overnight and today it cranked but didn't catch.

Any ideas on where to start?
    • By Freezeman
      Thought i would share a fix that I came across. I was working on a 99 scambler 500, The customer complaint was that even with the fuel shut off the tank would slowly drain out onto the ground. First I found the fuel shut off was bad/ leaking/ dripping so I installed a new one thinking that would fix it. Then I ran it and and seen that the overflow was flowing fuel out from the bowl. So I cleaned the needle and seat and changed the float height to lower the fuel level in the bowl. Well... It still overflowed and flooded. So I bench tested the needle and seat with a pop off tester. I found that these newer style needle and seats just utilize an o-ring to install the brass seat into the carb.
      The o-ring for the seat had hardened up allowing fuel into the float bowl from under the seat. New o-ring and problems solved.  

• Similar Tagged Content

• By skymankila69
      I traded my dirt bike for a 2000 arctic cat 500 semi automatic. when i went to go pick it up the guy said it didn't get spark, so i thought it was going to be something simple like a coil. well it wasn't. first thing i did was take all the plastics off to get easy asses to every thing. so i bought a brand new battery for it seeing if it got power, it didn't. the dash wouldn't light up neither would the lights, so then i tried to see if the starter worked it didn't so i jumped the solenoid and the starter started turning over the motor. so i bought a new starter solenoid, when i installed it the electric start still wouldn't work , so i bought a new kill switch and starter switch that goes on the handle bars, when i installed it, the electric start still wouldn't work. so then i went to see if i could get spark by pull starting it, i didn't get any spark, so i bought a new spark plug, and guess what, still no spark, so then i bought a new coil for it to see if that would fix it. so i installed the new coil and guess what no spark still and still no power to the dash. so to sum it up i'm not getting any power any where to the four wheeler. so i cleaned all the leads and plugs and still nothing. so then yesterday i took the wiring apart to see if their was any frayed wires, and no their wasn't. does any one have any ideas what this could be i'm up for anything. also if any one knows how to bypass all the wiring just to get it to start i open to that to, or if someone knows where  i can get a wiring diagram.