Quantcast

Tie down straps

I'm in the market for some new heavy duty straps for trailering my atv.  Whats everyone using to tie down their atv while trailering?  3/4" , 1" , 1 1/2", 2" straps? 

I had a couple of cheap 3/4" straps break on me , all i had at the time, I felt pretty lucky pulling into the gas station with the quad still on the trailer. 

• 2 months later...

Use quality ratchet straps. Avoid the push release gripper types.

For me redundancy is important. Some areas we haul into have rough roads. I use a minimum of 4 straps to secure a wheeler on a trailer. Never broke a strap but have had hooks pop off. When able, I'll bypass the hooks and run a strap through a D-ring and the wheeler attach point.

Actually, I prefer rope. The Navy taught me how to lash things down very securely with rope. However it takes time and my wife and kids won't be bothered to learn it.

• Like 1

I use 1" but the load info is important as anything. I have a hook welded on my trailer and my winch secures the front end to that and then I strap the back with straps I bought at Menard's 500# work load each. Love my idea for front with the winch. It ain't never coming lose from that!

SmartStraps® Carbon-X® 14' x 1" Green Ratchet Straps - 4 Pack

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2019 at 10:58 PM, RAYAR said:

I have several 1" & 2" tie down ratchet straps, but I recently picked up a set of 1-1/2" 5900 lbs.rating with the double J-hooks. A real nice set for quad tie down.

EDIT: I made a boo boo on the weight rating, noticed they are rated at 590 Kg (1300 lbs) :(

On 5/14/2019 at 8:12 PM, chuckufarlie said:

I've just recently switched to the Erikson ATV e-strap kit: http://www.ericksonmfg.com/product/atv-wheel-chock-and-tie-down-strap-kit/

I like it... no need to compress your suspension but holds the atv very securely and doesn't bounce slack into it.

I bought some of these they indeed do a bad as* job of holding quad down. Worth the price and peace of mind on my trailer during travel times! 

I use 2 2" straps on opposite corners if just going around town, no long distance hauls or highway. If I'm going long distance then I'll use 4 2" straps and make sure it's centered on trailer correctly. If not you will know it when you get on the highway. If you do notice it swaying back and forth, stop and make it right. I have seen people think it will be ok I'm not going far. And the trailer ends up flipping. Just a reminder safety first. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By mehim
      Hi everyone. 
      Let me explain the thread title. 
      My husband and I are very active in the nudist community, and we have stayed at many and most of the mainstream nudist and clothing optional campgrounds in the USA. We are now approaching our retirement and would like to start a podcast to share those off the road / backwoods / little known camping areas where nudity is allowed. We have purchased a 5th wheel camping trailer with a rear garage for the ATV and now need some good reports on the one to buy. 
      We are most interested in a side by side unit but would love to get your thoughts. 
      Feel free to stop by and say Hi and ask anything you would like to better understand what we are looking for in an offroad unit. 
      Thanks for reading and hope to hear from you. 

• By Gwbarm
      I have been exploring all the options available, so many, its hard to choose. I have kind of narrowed it down to the Honda Pilot, Subaru Outback, and Kind of looking at the Outlander, although its a little small,  the new one is nice looking. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations or gripes with any of these rides. I have driven Jeeps for the past 25  years and they have been great, but their price point has gotten to high. Expieriences good or bad would be helpful. Thanks!
    • By DrtyGrlKristin
      Just thought I'd start a new thread for newbies to the site!
      If you're new here, tell us who you are, where you're from and what you ride!!!
      Lets get to know each other a little better shall we?
      I'm not new to the site, obviously, but...
      I'm Kristin from Denver!!! I ride a 2008 Yamaha Rhino. She's my muddy baby!!!!!! Several aftermarket parts on her. She's good to me! We try and ride every weekend. This weekend we're off to MOAB! :woot:
    • By dalton7545
      ive had an account for years.   cand dowload a manual tho   havent posted enought so here is a post
    • By Suzukiquad
      Hi, I have been around everything with a motor since I was little, and finally purchased more to get my husband, and kids involved. I have 4 quads I will be searching around for information on. I have two 2002 Suzuki LT80K quads, a 1997 Yamaha Timberwolf 250, and a 1996 Kawasaki Bayou 220. I have had different ones throughout the years, and plan on buying another Yamaha Banshee. I plan on trying to learn more about all of them, so I can customize some of them. I know nothing about them besides how to race them, my dad always took care of the rest, but figured it was time for me to learn.