Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

Harbor Freight Tools Rules! Show off your stuff

To start it off, I'd like to share the bakery display cases I made for my wife. I'm sure ya'll have some impressive stories behind those HF tools, let's see 'em!

I built these bakery display cases for wife on almost 100% HF tools a couple years ago. Only thing I bought from Home Depot was the wood/plywood/stains and 3 sawhorses for my workbench. Router, circsaw, blades for both, sander, sandpaper, gloves, the nails for the nailgun (gun borrowed from dad, have a 5# pancake for air) I had almost zero tools to start.

Some of their cheap "speed" clamps failed, but first time for me using those types of clamps, was expecting them to hold better:

image.thumb.png.c7eed6e786eb49f0e12142161b7623c4.png

heh my youngest helping my dad glue:

image.thumb.png.175f758f43eb3ead7c6e508fdd22a120.png

and for fun, here was the finished project (1 of 2, built 2 cases, this is the smaller .. the plastic was from Tap Plastics for the "sneeze guards" and the top case):

image.thumb.png.4a90b6a5d5e4f1c86ec7d95f38bc38e0.png

back side showing both cases:

image.thumb.png.f2213398ad60129e74dd12b99fd59101.png

• Like 2

Nice job! I don't have a a Harbor Freight close by and mostly use Home Depot. Love the topic though and will need to look at Harbor Freight more closely. I will add this though....Since this summer, we've been working on an addition and I've been buying all kinds of stuff I didn't already have. I'm a fan of Milwaukee M12 tools (used to have Dewalt which is good too) because they have so many tools in that series. I've had a drill for a while and an Oscillating Multi-Tool , but in the past 4 months I've bought 2 M12 screw guns on ebay for like $45 each (tool only), M12 impact for $45 (tool only), PEX A expansion tool for my plumbing for $99 (tool only) and a 2 pack battery and changer kit for $59 at True Value Hardware. I also just bought standard and metric wrenches and screw drivers at home depot but the other day I noticed I could get craftsman at lowes. I used to be a mechanic at sears auto years ago and was always a fan of craftsman tools with the occasional snap on or mac tool in the collection.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I know this may be a harbor freight leaning topic....but I’m going to show off my new saw anyway. My old miter saw electric motor crapped out on me Saturday while I was cutting some moldings. Ran to Home Depot and bought this ryobi. Wasn’t sure what to buy because I wasn’t ready to spend much. The saw was $139 and the table $110. It’s a slider so it does a lot of what I need. I’m pretty happy with it.

Ryobi Miter Saw

• Like 1

Ryobi is stepping there game up. That saw will do what you need it to do! It’s not a contractors preference because it will not stand up to the every day use! But if your buying it  to do the standard home repair and occasional chop job then it will do just fine!   Nice choice and I’m sure it will meet your needs.   I’m not a fan of harbor freight but I like that other people are enjoying the tools they buy.  I believe and when I say I believe you get what you pay for I mean it.   I like a good name that backs there product. And will take it right back and give you a new one if there is ever a failure! That’s just me, I do a ton of work and put all of my tools through the ringer.  I like to push a tool to its limit.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2019 at 8:40 PM, Frank Angerano said:

Ryobi is stepping there game up. That saw will do what you need it to do! It’s not a contractors preference because it will not stand up to the every day use! But if your buying it  to do the standard home repair and occasional chop job then it will do just fine!   Nice choice and I’m sure it will meet your needs.   I’m not a fan of harbor freight but I like that other people are enjoying the tools they buy.  I believe and when I say I believe you get what you pay for I mean it.   I like a good name that backs there product. And will take it right back and give you a new one if there is ever a failure! That’s just me, I do a ton of work and put all of my tools through the ringer.  I like to push a tool to its limit.  

Yeah I'm happy with it, my wife said that our mouldings are coming about awesome and better than when we did them last time around years ago. I put a fine blade on it and I'm very happy with the cuts and overall use.

On 2/5/2019 at 1:49 AM, pokerl0w said:

I like your setup! not familiar with Ryobi myself but if it holds up for 30 days, I bet you get plenty of solid use 💪

The stand is pretty awesome. heavy and durable.

On 2/5/2019 at 7:26 AM, JacobSlabach said:

is that a double bevel?

Sorry missed this topic post. What's a double bevel? Forgive my ignorance.

That saw I bought from HF about 5 years ago.  The compound slide version. That saw was good for what I needed it for however whenever I used it the electric motor gave off a burning smell  that resembled marajuana.  So my customers would look at me funny and I had to explain that it’s the saw.  I had to turn the saw on to show them. I still have the saw and use it for only demo work now since I’ve upgraded to a better saw but that one did the job and yes it still smells.  It’s a smell from the electric brushes but man it was a weird smell.   

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Frank Angerano said:

That saw I bought from HF about 5 years ago.  The compound slide version. That saw was good for what I needed it for however whenever I used it the electric motor gave off a burning smell  that resembled marajuana.  So my customers would look at me funny and I had to explain that it’s the saw.  I had to turn the saw on to show them. I still have the saw and use it for only demo work now since I’ve upgraded to a better saw but that one did the job and yes it still smells.  It’s a smell from the electric brushes but man it was a weird smell.   

dude thats awesome 🤣:biglaugh:

Bought a cheap grinder to overhaul this trailer. The grate deck was busted in the rear and it was showing a lot of rust. Ran the crap out of this grinder to cut off the old deck and grind off the old welds. Then used it to sand the rust off. Grinder never missed a beat. The new deck is HDPE plastic obtained from my former job. I had thought about adding to the sides and front a section of this plastic, but this added weight to the trailer as it was.

Mike

0625181401_HDR (Medium).jpg

0626181603 (Medium).jpg

0703181706_HDR (Medium).jpg

• Like 2

Ive never seen one of those.....  what all is it useful for?

cause I got a bottle jack that my dad gave me cause it ran out of oil-  I filled it up and it works great, just dont have any use for it... I was thinking of making an atv lift with it????? maybe make the frame out of wood and mount the floor jack in there?

I will post it here if I do something like that...  Dont have much room in my tiny workshop rn..

On 2/27/2019 at 8:06 AM, JacobSlabach said:

A double bevel is where the saw will tilt to the side 45* each way as you stand in front of the saw:

Ah yes, and its a compound slide.

On 2/27/2019 at 9:29 AM, Frank Angerano said:

mike tyson lol GIF

That's what happened to my old saw, electric motor was burning until it crapped out!

• Haha 1

My finish nailer I bought 10 years ago finally started to give me too much trouble. It was cheap from Home Depot. Bought a new one from Amazon for under $30 and VERY happy with it, Has great reviews.

image.thumb.png.2786f974a0c5d5f4586d49a584fec1d7.png

Also bought this dual range tester but haven;t use it yet Another Amazon purchase for $21.95. I just started getting free 1 day deliveries with prime, so its so damn easy to shop!

image.thumb.png.d305248011d59d415639f12bbbc558b5.png

• Like 1